Join Early Retirement Today

List your favorite apps here:
Old 06-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

List your favorite apps here:

I searched and found a thread on this very topic - however, can't reply to it since it is "too old"...

Just caved in and replaced my old favorite "dumb phone" with an iPhone today - what are your favorite FREE apps?

And the ones that are so awesome, you just had to pay for them?

I guess it is just time for a 2011 thread on this topic!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I just got my first iPhone a few weeks ago. I will be REALLY interested in reading everyone's suggested apps.

So far, my favorite app is a mindless game, Pocket Frogs.

Before I discovered that there are free Sudoku apps, I paid for one called the Big Bad Book of Sudoku and it's fun. I think that's the only paid app that I have.

I like the Facebook app. I have a few apps that play the latest episodes of some political talk radio shows that I like. I never did Twitter before, but I am using Twitterific and that's fun. There's an app that allows me to do online banking at my bank. I haven't ever used RedLaser but I have it on my iPhone because everyone says it's wonderful. I enjoy a vocabulary builder app called Vocabology but it is nothing special. It just gives me a little food for the mind during the day. Wikipedia has an app, too.

Be sure to get news apps and weather apps. I like the Drudge Report app, and the CNN app plus some local news apps. For weather I like the Weather Channel free app plus a few hurricane apps.

But above all, be sure to get the Early Retirement app so you can read and post here from your iPhone!

P.S. - - everybody seems to love Angry Birds, but I don't like it!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #3

Favorites: words with friends, msnbc, USAToday, ny times, Netflix, bluefire reader (enables reading adobe format library books), DropBox, weight watchers mobile, Maps

Many other paid favorites as well. Sent from iPad so excuse the random incorrect capitalizations.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:42 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Zite, Pandora, various news sites. I have these on an IPad. I don't know whether they are on an IPhone.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

New York Times, CNBC, TWC, a local weather app, IMDb, The Louvre, Lose It! (not on a diet, but like to track weight and exercise). Zillow The only app I have paid for is Meditator (I do Vipassana meditation, and this is a nice configurable meditation timer).

Edit: Can't believe I forgot the Early Retirement app! It's awesome.
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I have an Ipod Touch, not an IPhone, but I find the PDF app useful as it allows me to carry copies of documents when I travel. I convert anything I need to a PDF using Cute Writer, then store the PDFs on the Touch. You need the 99 cent one - the freebie is only good for 10 files. Also downloaded Skype so I can use it as a cell phone when I have wireless access.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So far, my favorite app is a mindless game, Pocket Frogs.
My DW loves Pocket Frogs. She plays everyday.

Two expensive paid apps I couldn't do without are IBird Pro and Star Walk. Both are lovely apps that get a lot of use.

For free Kindle and iBooks probably get the most use. Both offer plenty of free content that keeps them truly free if you desire.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #8

Android Phone:
Mighty Grocery: Great shopping list program. Free version is goo enough
Weather Bug: Do not enable updates (it eats the battery)
USAA
Dropbox
Google Finance
Maps
Google Navigation
Google Place
Launcher Pro (changes how programs are launched)
Swift Keyboard
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

free apps:
Evernote, Netflix, zinio, ny times, iBooks, kindle, eBay, bloomberg, cnbc, instapaper, USAA, vanguard, fidelity, google earth

Paid apps:
Vnc viewer, deliveries, omnifocus, flight track pro, stock watch, penultimate, need for speed (hot pursuit)
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Question from a retiree who grew up programming in Basic.

I have an IPad and love the NY Times. If is subscribe on the IPad when I sinc my IPad to my computer can I access the Times from my computer??
Old 06-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The NYT subscription for the iPad also allows you to access the Times online. When you subscribe, you will receive a username and password. No need to sync your iPad to your computer.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

On my iPad:
espn score center
Weather channel
Google earth
Google maps
Solitaire
Xfinity - turns the iPad into a tv remote
Fox news
Chicktionary
Netlix
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:31 AM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

For my Samsung Ace, I like Flashlight, Google Sky Map, Picasa Tool, Magic Seaweed (tides and weather), Yahoo Mail, Double twist (music player) with AirSync (sync with iTunes over wifi), Sound sleep (piano with ambiant sounds to put you to sleep), Youtube and my very favorite, (being a guitarist) gStrings (a guitar tuner). My android phone is very cool with a 5 megapixel camera for 1/2 the price of an iPhone.

Phones are done differently in this end of the world. You buy the phone and then choose a telephone company to get your sim from. I don't have a data plan. Just use wifi where available. I spend less than $10 a month on phone charges.

I have to mention being able to send an sms using my voice to input the message. Very cool.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:57 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I find myself using the Gas Buddy app (Free) more and more. Shows the cheapest gas around and if you're traveling it's also handy to find a gas station!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:18 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Android phone. I prefer free apps and get most from the Android Market. However, Amazon Appstore has a daily deal, where 1 paid app is free for the taking. I have gotten a few apps there, most recent was the paid version of Big Sport Fishing. Apps not listed in posts above that I have include:
Auto application organizer - within the app, can organize app lists by type, like games, shopping, etc.
Atlanta Traffic
Big Sport Fishing - game. More fun than I expected
Calorie Counter - includes grocery foods and restaurant items
Daily Dilbert - comic strip
Dr Web lite - scans for viruses
Drudge Report
ETrade
Ebay
GasBuddy - gasoline prices
Guage battery widget - shows a number for battery % left
Lotto Results
Memory Trainer - concentration and other memory exercises
Paper Toss game - toss paper wads in a trash can
Radar Now - weather radar
Realtor.com
RedLaser - shopping comparison by barcode
Scanner radio - police/fire scanners from many larger places
ShopSavvy - similar to RedLaser
Stock quote
Tank Hero - game
Tank Recon 3d lite - game
The Weather channel
Zillow - real estate values
For some apps, that are just gateways to a site, like USAToday, I just bookmarked the page in the browser instead of adding an app.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Have you ever wanted to create your own simple Android app? Google Labs has a beta product that lets you create simple apps, without having to actually write program code (Coding for apps usually is quite complex, so keep your expectations toward simple apps). The video is interesting and worth watching. About - App Inventor for Android
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Notemaster, shopshop, and mobilist.

Lose-it allows me to get nutrition info even when not online.
Attached Images
File Type: png image-280321079.png (154.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: png image-2385881841.png (142.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: png image-2244003840.png (154.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: png image-2035769266.png (108.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: png image-2019697249.png (112.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: png image-2602732060.png (21.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: png image-533751631.png (31.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

For those who wish to save a few bucks......Textfree allows you to send text messages to anyone without paying the $5/month ATT charges for message service. Red Laser allows you scan any product bar code in a store like Target, and then check the price of that product on the internet.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

This has to be of use to someone!

iAugment for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to think that satellite radio would eventually kill off all musical traditional radio leaving just talk AM stations. I was wrong and now I am boldly predicting that satellite soon will go the way of the dodo. I'll be canceling my Sirius radio now that I have the "TuneIn Radio" app. A few bazillion terrestrial radio stations all over the world divided into categories like music, talk, news, with subcategories under each. It's very intuitive and it's searchable so if your favorite program or song is playing anywhere in the world it'll let you know. It's free and very cool.

Angry Birds and the various automotive magazines are a distant second.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apps, iphone