Join Early Retirement Today

Listen to Rhythm of Old Typewriter Keys
Old 06-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Listen to Rhythm of Old Typewriter Keys

I've been using this washable keyboard just for the heck of it.

The good, well, it's washable (haven't tried that yet). The bad, the tactile feel doesn't give the nice click like the keyboard I was using. Typing is acceptable but my fingers can't fly on the keyboard while touch typing.

I did find this fun (and helpful) program, called Qwertick (Windows only) that does one thing in particular. With each key pressed, the program makes a keystroke noise like the old fashioned typewriters. Also, each time I press the return key, there is a carriage return and bell sound .

If you want to get nostalgic of the typing days, give the program a run. No ribbon needed

There is a program that simulates the click of an old IBM keyboard. Which I'd really want instead of a typewriter. But, that is unix only.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2015, 10:51 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I've been using this washable keyboard just for the heck of it.

The good, well, it's washable (haven't tried that yet). The bad, the tactile feel doesn't give the nice click like the keyboard I was using. Typing is acceptable but my fingers can't fly on the keyboard while touch typing.

I did find this fun (and helpful) program, called Qwertick (Windows only) that does one thing in particular. With each key pressed, the program makes a keystroke noise like the old fashioned typewriters. Also, each time I press the return key, there is a carriage return and bell sound .

If you want to get nostalgic of the typing days, give the program a run. No ribbon needed

There is a program that simulates the click of an old IBM keyboard. Which I'd really want instead of a typewriter. But, that is unix only.
There is a company that sells buckling spring keyboards still - just like the old IBMs. I have been using them for several years and they are awesome.

Link to company: Unicomp, Inc.

Take a look at the ultra classic model - it has a slightly smaller profile than the IBM original and fits in modern keyboard drawers/trays a little better

They sound and FEEL right
Old 06-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
There is a company that sells buckling spring keyboards still - just like the old IBMs. I have been using them for several years and they are awesome.

Take a look at the ultra classic model - it has a slightly smaller profile than the IBM original and fits in modern keyboard drawers/trays a little better

Those are some nice looking keyboards.

I never really thought much about mechanical vs not or spring vs dome.

Brings back memories of not able to concentrate from co-w*rkers making too much click-clack on the keyboards.

The one I had been using (before the washable) is an old Gateway SK-9920 (don't know if mechanical or springed) which feels really nice.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Or, you could just put on your formal wear and join the orchestra:

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

FYI, there are numerous companies that market keyboards that use mechanical switches, which exhibit the tactile and audible clicks like the old IBM keyboards. These are usually marketed as "gaming keyboards". I'm currently using a Razer Black Widow, but other brands include Das Keyboard, Corsair, Logitech.

Regards,
Steve
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

A Youtube video of a guy comparing the sound of a mechanical vs membrane.

The mechanical is nice

Old 06-21-2015, 10:58 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H;[URL="http://www.pckeyboard.com/"
.[/URL]

Yes, the click/clack did sound and FEEL right. The sound and feel would get me into a rhythm causing me to build momentum and feel productive--sort of like helping me get into "the zone".
Old 06-25-2015, 07:52 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I see a possible present to myself in the future
Old 06-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #9

Check ebay, here's one for $10 Vintage Fujitsu Hybrid Clicky Mechanical Keyboard FKB 472X | eBay
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:17 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post

Nice.

For all the old IBM Model M keyboards with the Rj45 connector such as the follwing:

IBM Model M 1395660 Terminal Keyboard RJ45 Clicky 1996 Mechanical 55768

Is there an adapter to use USB?

The only thing I don't like about the old IBM is the color, brings back flashbacks of w*rk .
Old 06-25-2015, 10:44 AM   #11

I almost forgot about those ( don't actually have one ). Have several of the old style AT big round DB9 connectors attached to a PS/2 converter.

Here's one for the RJ45 ( from ebay ), kinda pricey...

New RJ45 to USB soarer's Converter Model M Terminal Keyboard Remapping Macros | eBay
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:52 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I almost forgot about those ( don't actually have one ). Have several of the old style AT big round DB9 connectors attached to a PS/2 converter.

Here's one for the RJ45 ( from ebay ), kinda pricey...

New RJ45 to USB soarer's Converter Model M Terminal Keyboard Remapping Macros | eBay
Good to know the RJ45 to USB are made. I have a converter for a PS2 to USB that works really well.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Here's an NPR story (about 5 minutes long) on the IBM Model M / Unicomp:

NPR Media Player
Old 10-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Just as a follow up. I went ahead and got me a used ultra classic model off ebay that is in great shape (looks and feels nearly new). I'm still getting used to the mechanical keys a bit stiffer than the keyboard I was using. But I love the audible feedback (the previous owner sold the keyboard saying the clicky clack was too loud).

Unfortunately, the color is the "office beige" and not a darker color. But this used one is about $30 cheaper than had I got one brand new.

note: on the picture, the piece of wood I use as a wrist rest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1785.JPG (494.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-20-2015, 05:44 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Easy, that is way cool! I kinda like the retro color.
But for heavens sake, spring some $ for a real wrist rest, lol! Looks like something I'd use!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:27 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Easy, that is way cool! I kinda like the retro color.
But for heavens sake, spring some $ for a real wrist rest, lol! Looks like something I'd use!
The office beige is starting to grow on me. But the color makes me want to write a computer program like days at w*rk.

I had a real wrist rest in the past (eventually wore off). I actually think the wood feels more comfortable, but do admit, could use a paint job .

After almost a day with the new keyboard, I do type more accurately with the mechanical keys. But also, my fingers to feel the extra pressure needed with each keystroke. Finger exercises, I guess .
Old 10-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The office beige is starting to grow on me. But the color makes me want to write a computer program like days at w*rk.
Office beige.... call it taupe; has it's advantages. I have the version with the black body and dust and detritus are more visible. Cube warrior taupe is more practical

DSC_0121.JPG
Old 10-20-2015, 11:17 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Office beige.... call it taupe; has it's advantages. I have the version with the black body and dust and detritus are more visible. Cube warrior taupe is more practical

Attachment 22460
Taupe, I'll have to remember that. My taupe keyboard color sort of matches my white router at least. The dust and detritus more visible on on the black did cross my mind (I own a dark blue color car).

Oh I did order a "tool" for the future dust. The brush should arrive in a couple of days.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00
Attached Images
File Type: jpg duster.jpg (36.6 KB, 5 views)