Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Live Earth concert/carbon footprint calculator
Old 07-07-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Live Earth concert/carbon footprint calculator

Live Earth on MSN: The Concerts For A Climate In Crisis?

Ahh rite all you treehuggers. What's your personal impact on Momma earth?
We're weighing in at 6.65 tons. We have planted a bunch of bamboo, so that's generating a bunch of extra oxygen, but we're way casual about gas and electricity use.

For some reason the concert just keeps reminding me of the end of the movie Rat Race...
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
DW and I were musing about this concert over breakfast today. We wondered if all of those folks (musicians, staff, big shot pols, regular folks, greenies) all walked to the venue or did some of them ride a bike?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

We're at 7.4 tons. If we only drove 12,000 miles/year instead of 21,000 we'd be at 5 tons.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I saved on electricity by not watching the concert.

Calc said 6
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

calc shows me at 7.85 but it didn't ask if the mustang was a gt or how hard i drive it. thanx to an old florida house & lots of shade, my elec bill is low even though the a/c runs 24/7 and at night it is set on hibernation. my car travel will increase over the next few years of roadtripping, to be later replaced with increased air travel at which time car use will decrease. if i eventually go the liveaboard route, i'd imagine my carbon footprint will be reduced even while running a diesel.

my current in-city 1/4 acre sports 7 mature pine trees, about a dozen young pines, about 7 or 9 species of bamboo (including two bamboo hedges running length of property), huge sandbox tree and over 30 species of palms (uncounted individuals) & various shrubs. i produce enough oxygen for the entire block, at least.

my thinking over a decade ago when i started getting serious with the gardens here was to replace with nature the space i took up with the house & the car.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #6

You guys must be living in tents and staying home a lot...I only put in one of our two vehicles ('98 Ford F-150 V-8 Automatic) and with our typical expenditures for electricity & natural gas, which are lower than lots of my friends, I got a 14.45. If I was to use both vehicles, it would probably be around a 20! Back when I was pulling a boat about 5000 miles a year, plus factoring in all the gas my boat drank at about 4 mpg, heck, I probably should just go ahead & turn myself in to Sheriff Al Gore right now so he can hang me high. Or maybe he'd let me come hang out at his mega-mansion over there in TN where he's certainly doing his part to save the environment. Peace to the tree huggers, I love you man!
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:37 PM   #7

Good grief! We're at 15.8 with only one of two cars factored in. And I thought we were doing a reasonably good job of cutting our impact on Mom Earth. Back to the drawing board.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:47 PM   #8

The music is worse than the science.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:29 PM   #9

8.35 ton/yr for our whole family (I think). We don't do anything to conserve besides try to be economical about things (fuel efficient cars, I don't drive much, CFL lightbulbs, etc). We keep the a/c in the very low 70's in the summer and the heat at 71 in the winter. We do have a "small" house (1800 sf). Electricity is from nuclear sources. When I just put in my info, my personal number is 2.4 tons/yr.

(I also don't recycle, but please nobody tell Al Gore!!!).
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:44 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Over 18 tons/yr for the three of us. BUT-a large portion of that is my frequent airplane trips for business. But, hey, the plane was going to make that flight anyway! I'm (rationalizing) that I should only be held accountable for the very small additional fuel burn that my weight contributed to each flight (every passenger could be treated this way. The "base footprint" of flying the empty plane on my route should rightly be the carbon f0otprint of the airline. Yeah--that's it!)

I'll bet the "embodied energy" of our vehicles wasn't cranked into the formula. Hybrids don't look so good if you calculate things that way.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:51 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Wonder when they are going to have the "Sun is heating up, causing solar system warming on all planets concert"?
Bigritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
You guys must be living in tents and staying home a lot...I only put in one of our two vehicles ('98 Ford F-150 V-8 Automatic) and with our typical expenditures for electricity & natural gas, which are lower than lots of my friends, I got a 14.45.
We own one car, an Accord with a 4 banger, and just carpool. The house is usually about 77 in the summer and we can pay a premium on our utilities to ensure an amount equal to our consumption is fed onto the grid from wind power.

I'm not doing it to combat global climate change, though.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:22 AM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
8.35 ton/yr for our whole family (I think). We don't do anything to conserve besides try to be economical about things (fuel efficient cars, I don't drive much, CFL lightbulbs, etc). We keep the a/c in the very low 70's in the summer and the heat at 71 in the winter. We do have a "small" house (1800 sf). Electricity is from nuclear sources. When I just put in my info, my personal number is 2.4 tons/yr.

(I also don't recycle, but please nobody tell Al Gore!!!).
I like the nuclear source of electricity down here. You keep the house at 71 in winter? We stayed at 65 ! Summer we have the upstairs unit at 80 the downstairs unit at 77.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:54 AM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
A/C is set at 85 and I don't use it at night.
Winter temp is 60, 50 at night.

I drive less than 5000 miles per year.

I'm trying to convince myself that laundry gets clean in cold water.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:08 AM   #15
Administrator

Wow, I plugged in my stats (I thought I was living a greener lifestyle) but I came out as 9.6 tons for just one person. It seems each long haul flight 5,000 miles = 1 ton!
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:11 AM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Wow, I plugged in my stats (I thought I was living a greener lifestyle) but I came out as 9.6 tons for just one person. It seems each long haul flight 5,000 miles = 1 ton!
Mine was 5.5.
Higher because I am one person living in a house? But it's a small house.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
I like the nuclear source of electricity down here. You keep the house at 71 in winter? We stayed at 65 ! Summer we have the upstairs unit at 80 the downstairs unit at 77.
Yep - we like it comfortable and don't mind paying a few hundred $$ per year to keep it like that! DW gets cold easily and I get hot easily. 71-74 is the "perfect" range apparently for us. Nat gas furnace in winter though. Still, total gas/elec utils are ~$1500/yr.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:02 PM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

Send a message via MSN to Fool_working Send a message via Yahoo to Fool_working
My footprint was 1.5...

I really didn't think I was doing anything that special.

Probably helps that I ride my bike everywhere (I have a car that I never drive), and that I never fly anywhere either.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
3.25 for our household. All electric from a hydro power source.

Biking and walking keeps the mileage down.

Its the three airline trips that does it.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #20

Wanna lower the entire earth's carbon footprint? Stop cows from farting!

Family fartprint is 8.25. I am working hard to get it much much higher- I wanna be like Al Gore and all the celebretards !!!