Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2017, 07:02 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudd View Post
What about renting out the tiny home on AirBnB instead of moving into it yourself? I think a tiny home could fetch a good price on AirBnB, people are curious about them. And I suspect demand for an entire half of a duplex would not be as high as you think. It would basically only be families who'd be willing to pay a premium to get an entire place like that, whereas the tiny home could appeal to both singles and couple travelers.

That might be an option. I was worried about renting it while the site is under construction. I am willing to deal with some craziness but not sure I want random people on my constructions site. It would depend on what stage we were at. Thanks!
Ms.FIlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2017, 07:38 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been living in an old motor home for going on 3 years now while I build my house. The price for the motor home was right (free). I will give it to some other folks when I get moved into my house. It works for me, but I'm not sure it would work over a long time for two.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:48 PM   #23
Administrator

I have seen steel windowed trailers at most commercial construction sites. I think the general contractor rents them to use as a field office. They are usually hooked up to electric. I don't know if they are plumbed. Maybe you can rent something like that while you build your house.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #24

Shoot , if you are looking for a cheap way out . Buy one of the FEMA trailers . They are all over the place 6K to 8K and they are usually 32' . Brand new never lived in .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:31 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.FIlite View Post
Very interesting idea! In our house plans we would have one bedroom/office and a bathroom on the first floor. We could ask what it would be to just do the first floor. If everything is roughed in we could wait till we needed the other bedroom/babies show up

These are our house plans. While the extra space makes sense with two kids it's way to big for us now.

Attachment 25728
You could make phase 1 the main house (excluding the garage) with the first until the a floor finished and the second floor unfinished. Finishing the second floor could be a future phase as would be the attached garage.

Though you may want to pour the garage slab at the same time as the house slab and just use it as a parking area or carport until you have the resources to build the garage.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #26

OK, I'm going to ask about the other aspects of your plans.

So why do you want an MBA, and what school ?
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:10 AM   #27

Our county prohibits mobile homes (unless in a mobile home park), and the tiny home on wheels may be classified as such. They also enforce no "rentals" on the same property as single family homes (SFH). Here, you need to have a lot that is zoned "multi-family" before having more than a SFH. So, the tiny home in the back yard rental would not be allowed. (We live in a semi-rural area next to a medium sized city).
A trip to your county offices would get you the answers you need to stay legal.

Interesting idea, though.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Live Tiny Temporarily for a Goal
Old 04-13-2017, 03:57 AM   #28

Live Tiny Temporarily for a Goal

I am not an expert on tiny homes but when I started my MBA many years ago they gave us the following advise at the orientation. If you want to not finish the program do one or more of the following:
1. Get married
2. Buy a new home
3. Start a new job.

Sadly MBAs are a dime a dozen these days and the degree doesn't command the respect it one did. I hope you've considered whether your specific college will help you turn that expensive and time consuming degree into money/ a great and interesting job.

As to the tiny home I think one of the reasons the wife and I are still married is that we both have our own space. I'm thinking those highly finished 400 sq ft or less rolling homes end up being quite expensive in the end. If you really are interested in living debt free how about you save a few years and do the foundation, the septic, then a shell and do the finish as suggested. Or perhaps find a fixer and put you efforts into that. I bought my first home for $176,000, the second floor was unfinished and everything including the bathrooms, kitchen, windows were 40 years old. We redid everything one thing at a time. I sold it 10 years later for $500,000.

Tiny? Naah that just looks like fun on TV. I studied and did my homework undisturbed for my second masters in one of the new bedrooms of that same house.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:54 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

My Dad was a building contractor for 30 years in the NC area. A popular option at that time was to build a fully finished basement based on a two story house plan. The basement was essentially finished as a one bedroom apartment and the roof was a temporary cap roof. The couple would move in and as their finances and families grew, they would remove the cap roof and finish the dream house. Many of my high school friends built these types of homes and cash flowed the entire home.

Don't see this practice too much anymore, but I thought it was financially prudent.
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:42 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Our county prohibits mobile homes (unless in a mobile home park), and the tiny home on wheels may be classified as such. They also enforce no "rentals" on the same property as single family homes (SFH). Here, you need to have a lot that is zoned "multi-family" before having more than a SFH. So, the tiny home in the back yard rental would not be allowed. (We live in a semi-rural area next to a medium sized city).

This was kinda my thoughts. Many places would not allow 2 separate dwellings on a single lot depending on what that lot is zoned for.

Have you considered the financial differences from your current plan to just staying in the one side of the duplex while the house is being built and not spending the money on a second dwelling on the new lot?
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:49 AM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
This was kinda my thoughts. Many places would not allow 2 separate dwellings on a single lot depending on what that lot is zoned for.

Have you considered the financial differences from your current plan to just staying in the one side of the duplex while the house is being built and not spending the money on a second dwelling on the new lot?

In Sacramento they do alow you to have an accessory dwelling unit as long as its less than 400sq ft and you can rent it out. Based on my research in the area an airbnb tiny hole goes for about 100 a night plus a cleaning fee and many of them are consistently rented 15-20 days a month. That would be 1500-2000 a month in income thus the appeal in the long run.

Because the tiny house is mostly furnished we could keep the duplex furnished and do the airbnb thing. Netting us an additional 1700-2000 on the duplex. It's essentially just adding another income stream other then my other rental which only bets about 500 a month. That extra income is what we were thinking would allow us to save about 100k in about 2 years in addition to 100k from the sale of my finances rental in AZ (on market next weekend) and my rental in about a year ( another 100k) build should cost around 300k. We have. It's invested well in realestate so far and I like it. I also property manage for my mom who I organized purchasing a few rentals for #sidehustle

All that being said we do plan to rerun alllllthe numbers before pulling the trigger.it would be easier to just stay here.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:52 AM   #32
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post

Seems like Sacramento is encouraging it which is good. Planning a trip to city office next week.

http://www.per.saccounty.net/applica...anual_0612.pdf
Old 04-13-2017, 09:16 AM   #33

Building a tiny home costs way too much. Find a used travel trailer on craigslist for under 10k (make sure the fridge works and the roof is intact). Use it for 2-4 years, and sell if for almost as much as you paid for it. If you really do intend to get an MBA, then you should be smart enough to know that you do not want tenants on the same property as your dream home. And, I would not expect, in SAC, that you'll be able to rent an airbnb 15-20 nights per month. Even if you could, do you really want to wash that many sheets, as a proud holder of an MBA?
Old 04-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #34
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
OK, I'm going to ask about the other aspects of your plans.

So why do you want an MBA, and what school ?

I travel a lot for work so I have to do an online program. I chose WP Carey at Arizona state. About 60-65k over 2 years.

Yes this is a huuuge question! I think we could have our own thread just about to MBA or not. I am a nerd and love school that's why I tried to do a cheater masters and got a masters in educational technology instead of an MBA. It helped me get my current job but not really the raise booster I was shopping for. I am in process improvement and work essentially as a project manager for business improvements at large insurance companies. In the future I would like to transition to doing contact work where I work for like 6 months then take a break and take on another job. This would require my Realestate income is doing well enough for me to give up the W2. While in many places an MBA is by worth it as a consultant it usually does pay off because clients want the letters. Corporate America, my stomping grounds, is one of the few places where without it you may limit your job opportunities. I can get about one more promotion up to a national manager of my group without an MBA (on the path for that in about 3 years) after thy it will hold me back to not have one. What is your experience? Industry? Career path? Was it helpful or a bust?
Old 04-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #35
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Building a tiny home costs way too much. Find a used travel trailer on craigslist for under 10k (make sure the fridge works and the roof is intact). Use it for 2-4 years, and sell if for almost as much as you paid for it. If you really do intend to get an MBA, then you should be smart enough to know that you do not want tenants on the same property as your dream home. And, I would not expect, in SAC, that you'll be able to rent an airbnb 15-20 nights per month. Even if you could, do you really want to wash that many sheets, as a proud holder of an MBA?

This is really interesting and just what I was looking for. I never even considered an rv or a travel trailer and then selling it. I wa thinking of having it long term etc. if I wanted to out a unit in the back later I could always do that but super nice RV are around 40 instead of like 65/75 for the time home. Granted the other would be long term.

Only challenge would be hooking up to sewer and water in the front of the house. Since we were thinking of installing the tiny home in the back permanently that was going to be part of our building plans to run utilities. There is room to park it in the front but essentially adding rv hookups may not work for the city. Area on the side of the house is too small to drive it to the back
Old 04-13-2017, 11:48 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

You know, with the "tiny house fad", perhaps Sears should look at getting into this arena...maybe bring the Lustron Home back from the dead. Well, until Amazon gets in on it and you have one delivered and built in 2 days with your Prime Membership!

The one my family had build many, MANY years ago in NC is still around (the attached picture is NOT the one the family owned).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lustron_house
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zjcjq7.jpg (64.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.FIlite View Post
This is really interesting and just what I was looking for. I never even considered an rv or a travel trailer and then selling it. I wa thinking of having it long term etc. if I wanted to out a unit in the back later I could always do that but super nice RV are around 40 instead of like 65/75 for the time home. Granted the other would be long term.

Only challenge would be hooking up to sewer and water in the front of the house. Since we were thinking of installing the tiny home in the back permanently that was going to be part of our building plans to run utilities. There is room to park it in the front but essentially adding rv hookups may not work for the city. Area on the side of the house is too small to drive it to the back
My SIL/BIL are currently building a house in "fly over country" and have a travel trailer they are staying in sporadically during the build. It cost them nothing and has been used in at least 10 builds by assorted friends and family.

I don't think I would go the "Used FEMA trailer" route though, I know a lot of them had formaldehyde issues (perhaps they were remedied? I really don't know).
Old 04-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I don't think I would go the "Used FEMA trailer" route though, I know a lot of them had formaldehyde issues (perhaps they were remedied? I really don't know).
+1

There are thousands of pre-owned "regular" travel trailers on the used market that can be purchased for a very reasonable price. Craigslist is filled with them - but as in all dealings, watch for scams. If it seems too good to be true and/or isn't local, watch out.