Join Early Retirement Today

Loaning My Phone To Stranger
Old 04-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Loaning My Phone To Stranger

After a long bike ride, I'm sitting on the side of the road. A person comes by and asks if I saw a phone laying on the road. He asks if he can use my phone to help him find his phone. I did, but I was cautious at the same time. It turned out he had no nefarious intentions, he used my phone to track (ping) his iPhone (which worked).

After the encounter, I got to thinking about what happened. He had access to my phone, my "wallet" and much other data. I started researching about loaning phone to strangers and had no clue how big a scam it is.

What can happen:

1. Just run away with the phone.
2. Download app to follow inputs on the phone.
3. Use Paypal, Venmo, etc. to send money.

I feel lucky nothing happened to me. But next time I'll be even leerier and take better precautions. Ideally, either the answer would be a flat "no, you can't use my phone" to if I do avail my phone to someone, I would first take a picture of them and their license, send that to my wife, then dial the number for them and put it on speakerphone.

https://clark.com/scams-rip-offs/cel...ment-app-scam/
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2020, 01:37 PM   #2

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Or you can maintain possession of the phone.

I have Fidelity account on my phone and Credit Union app. No way am I letting a stranger take possession.
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:40 PM   #3

I wouldn't simply hand my phone over to a stranger for any reason. No need to when you could simply dial whatever number they gave you and put it on speaker for them.

Another good answer might be a polite little white lie: "Sorry, my battery is almost dead and I want to preserve it in case of emergency."
Old 04-26-2020, 01:41 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP - after reading your post, and thinking about it. I would not give my phone to someone, as they may run faster than me, or all they have to do is visit a website set up to auto download some virus/key logger.

I would dial for them some number, but thinking how my banking is on the phone, it's too risky to hand it over.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I would dial for them.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I would dial for them.

Yep. Best solution. But I can see out of habit how OP let him use the phone.
Old 04-26-2020, 02:09 PM   #7
Administrator

My phone requires a separate security validation for each app download and most app transactions, so access to my phone, even if unlocked, isn’t enough to do any damage.

If an app doesn’t have transaction security, perhaps it’s use should be reconsidered.

If someone just wants to dial a number, speakerphone while the phone stays with me is a good idea. If they want to use the “find my phone” function it’s more complicated, the user needs to access their iCloud account.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:16 PM   #8

Especially today, I would not come close enough to a random stranger to hand them anything, let alone my phone.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:02 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

This has happened to me a couple of times. I am always direct and say "I will dial a number and put in on speaker, but I will hold the phone". One person was fine with it. The other kept saying "just let me hold the phone, I'll be quick". Eventually I just said sorry, turned and walked away to them cursing at my back. Too bad.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:09 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes it's definitely a risk handing over one's phone. Theoretically, even if they want to use 'Find my iPhone' you could input their iCloud info to do it and then they could change their password once they have found their phone. Who is more likely to have sinister intentions?
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:44 PM   #11

At age 70 I'm old enough to be credible when I say "I don't have a phone". Only once has someone asked to use mine and that worked.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:25 PM   #12

A few years ago at the Florida Welcome Center, three young kids asked me if they use my phone because their Mom left them at the rest area. Seemed like a scam, and I knew they could outrun me, so I told them to give me the number, and I would call their Mom.

She answered, and I said, I'm standing at the rest area with three kids who say you left them. She was shrieking!

Apparently the kids were all sleeping when Mom ran to the restroom. They woke up, headed to the vending machines. She jumps back in the car, neglecting to do a headcount [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:37 PM   #13

That reminded me of a friends story. He married for 45 years, with wife and 40 year old son on a car trip. They stopped for gas and snacks. Almost an hour down the road, dad and son realized no mom!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
That reminded me of a friends story. He married for 45 years, with wife and 40 year old son on a car trip. They stopped for gas and snacks. Almost an hour down the road, dad and son realized no mom!
Oh my, that's worse!
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:21 PM   #15

I think in the past, I've let a person or two use my phone. Today, there's no way I would. A phone is so much more than a phone today. Who even knows what's all on that device that could be used to do me harm. I may think I have it all pass worded and protected, but I'm sure some geek could should me what I missed.

I guess the best you can do today is tell them you'll dial a number as you hold on to the phone, but unless it's something severe (car accident), my inclination would be to just say "no - sorry" and move on. Sad, that it has come to that.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:31 PM   #16

Phone = $600
Would I let a stranger hold $600? I think not.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:32 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in a big city. I grew up in a big city. The answer to "can I use your phone" is no. I am comfortable saying no and so should everyone. I grew up in an inner city neighborhood on the south side of Chicago. The opening sentence of a robbery/con is commonly a small ask .Just say no. i wouldn't dial and let someone use speaker phone on my phone.

I would immediacy call 911 for anyone that asks for help or appears to need help. Stay safe.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:34 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Especially today, I would not come close enough to a random stranger to hand them anything, let alone my phone.
+1
Old 04-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
A few years ago at the Florida Welcome Center, three young kids asked me if they use my phone because their Mom left them at the rest area. Seemed like a scam, and I knew they could outrun me, so I told them to give me the number, and I would call their Mom.

She answered, and I said, I'm standing at the rest area with three kids who say you left them. She was shrieking!

Apparently the kids were all sleeping when Mom ran to the restroom. They woke up, headed to the vending machines. She jumps back in the car, neglecting to do a headcount [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Hero
Old 04-26-2020, 07:46 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Glad to be so oblivious to the potential dangers of the world. My parents homesteaded and I was born in Alaska - grew up with the story that you left your door unlocked and a fire laid if away from your cabin in case a freezing traveler passed by. Lent my phone while on a walk a few months ago to a woman with car trouble. Do judge who I'd help, but believe most are good and prefer not to live in fear. Things have worked out so far.