Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

local farmers' market
Old 06-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
local farmers' market

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Goin tomorrow morning! BTW I cant really make out your pictures they wont blow up.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Picasa Web Albums - critter - 2009_06_10 Fa...
Old 06-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #4

thanks Khan!

Dang those green onions look great!
Old 06-14-2009, 12:35 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I went to ours this morning, and it's in full swing. About 100 vendors, more food than you can shake a stick at, and mobbed with people.

When DH and I were dating, he brought me down here in January and took me to the farmer's market. In January it was better than anything I'd seen anywhere else, any time. It really wasn't a fair fight.

Love the market!
Old 06-14-2009, 06:58 AM   #6

A couple years ago I took a chance for $8 or so and bought a homemade pecan pie at the Farmer's Market. It was the best pecan pie I ever ate! Worth every penny.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Around here, things at the farmer's markets are about twice as expensive as at the grocery store. Is that true everywhere?

That's not a premium I'm willing to pay, except for fantastic tomatoes, peaches, and a few other fruits that are better at the market.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

DW bought fresh green beans at a farmers market last week. Said they were half the price she paid at the supermarket. Not sure about other items.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #9

Things were more expensive than normal today. Found some deals on squash and carrots. Fresh salmon was 22$ a pound. Guy told me "but Ive come down 5 dollars since last week". I mumbled Ill pass. Cherries were more expensive than our local grocery store by a large margin.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Most of the farmer's markets around here and there are tons of them are less expensive than the grocery store and much nicer produce.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #11

Few more weeks things will be more in season. Then the price difference will show.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

There are great markets in NYC, but I live too far now to go. Instead we patronize the farm stand/market of the good-sized (for NJ) farm down the road. They grow all kinds of interesting stuff (often have things I have never seen, even as a confirmed foodie) and you know it is about as local as it gets. We frequently see one of the guys who runs the farm pull up in a laden pickup dropping off just-picked stuff while we are shopping there. Best of all, they vastly underprice the local supermarket. In season we are there about every week.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:00 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

It was rainy and still a bit early in the season. Later there will be more vendors.

First strawberries this week. Last asparagus was last week.

I really don't know how the prices compare on the vegetables and fruit. The meat and eggs are definitely more expensive but I'm eating a lot less now that I'm retired. A steak that would have been two or three meals while I was w*rking is now six meals.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #14

TA, our farmers markets are dang expensive too. It seems to be more of a yuppie/go green thing than cheap local eats.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #15

I'm at the Iowa/Illinois border where there are lots of farms, so pricewise it's cheap or the same as the stores. Sometimes the breadmakers charge much more than the stores, tho, here. Pies are around $8-9 just about anywhere here for a full size pie; but the difference is the crust, since few seem to know how to make a good crust it seems. Cookies and the rest seem pretty much the same price as the stores, but lacking the preservatives.
The advantage of the farmer's markets to me is that the produce is homegrown and not grown in a lab. More flavor. Better color. Much more flavor.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I'm at the Iowa/Illinois border where there are lots of farms, so pricewise it's cheap or the same as the stores. Sometimes the breadmakers charge much more than the stores, tho, here. Pies are around $8-9 just about anywhere here for a full size pie; but the difference is the crust, since few seem to know how to make a good crust it seems. Cookies and the rest seem pretty much the same price as the stores, but lacking the preservatives.
The advantage of the farmer's markets to me is that the produce is homegrown and not grown in a lab. More flavor. Better color. Much more flavor.
Some locals do heirloom varieties. Expensive, funny looking, delicious.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

We find our local farmer's market to have comparable prices to the supermarket for organic foods, and during peak seasons it's usually a good bit cheaper for far superior foods. Since we prefer organic foods, shopping at the market is a no-brainer for us. I also like that the farmers get more of the profits, so it helps keep our local family farms operating.

IMO, one of the most amazing benefits of living in the southern part of California is that fact that we can get great produce, locally, year-round. We love our food, and we love it more when it's good!
Old 06-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

The farmer's market close to me sells the same stuff as the stores, at least off season. I can tell because they don't bother to remove the produce tags...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

My farmers' markets consist of a table by the side of the road and a homemade sign. I'm serious. Lots of home gardeners and dairy farmers put their excess stuff out by the road and sell it in small baskets or bags for 50 cents or less. "Honor boxes" are there for making change.
When the late summer comes, I can get produce dirt cheap. I grab a lot of fresh tomatoes and sweet peppers and take them home for freezing. The veggies won't win any beauty contests, but they are usually not pesticide laden and 2 days old at the most. Huge fresh tomatoes, sometimes a little overripe and all ready for a mayo-tomato sandwich.
There are regular farmer's markets in larger towns, but I'm too lazy to drive 45 minutes to get there.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Around here, things at the farmer's markets are about twice as expensive as at the grocery store. Is that true everywhere?
The problem is that you need to shop at Whole Foods instead of the grocery store. Then you could save money by going to the farmer's market.

Seriously though, I never thought the farmer's market was much cheaper than the grocery store. And certainly not worth the trip across town to one of them. And their selection isn't always the best.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote