Lock down drills in high school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

97guns

Full time employment: Posting here.
I’m watching this series called undercover high and just saw an episode where the school does a lockdown drill several times a year mandated by the state. It’s a drill to turn off the lights and hide from a shooter, the teacher is to secure the classroom door and the students are instructed to hide behind their desks and be very quiet, not to huddle up together and spread out. The principal swept the campus, checked doors then called an all clear. I think that if there was a shooter from school that he would participate in these drills before committing the act.

First I’ve ever heard of this, I think they’re in Illinois

Sad times that classrooms have to do this, but sounds quite important. I like the protective strategy of not huddling up together.

Last edited:
I have two children in a public high school here in NC. Yes, they do this a couple times a year, along with fire drills, etc. It’s not pleasant to think about, but I am glad that the kids have some awareness to make and think thru an escape plan.

As a retired principal, i can tell you that lock-down drills are almost as common as fire drills now. Typically, there are two types of lock-down; soft and hard. A soft lock-down is when there is a possible external threat (inmate escape from custody in the general vicinity, etc) and all external doors are locked with no one entering or leaving the building(s). It is business-as-usual within the school. A hard lock-down is for an internal threat (parent goes bananas, gunman, etc). This is the case where students are locked in their classrooms until an all-clear. I have been to many campus safety seminars and there are various versions of these drills.

Yes, when I taught we did lock-down drills several times a year alongh with Fire Drills and Earthquake Drills.

The idea behind the Lock-Down drill is to slow the shooter down, since she now has to work to find targets, and thus give the police a few more precious minutes to get to the school before anybody is hurt.

Last edited:
It seems every era has its own threat. In my day we did air raid drills.

DW, a recently retired teacher had these sort of active shooter drills at least 2X year at the public school (elementary) where she taught.

The hospital where I retired from, we conducted an active shooter drill at least once/year.

Next year will be twenty years since the killings at Columbine High School in Colorado, which is what led many schools to begin these drills.

Seems kind of silly. According to the Dept. of Education there are about 130,000 elementary and secondary schools in the US. So what are the odds that a given school will see an active shooter? Tiny.

Seems kind of silly. According to the Dept. of Education there are about 130,000 elementary and secondary schools in the US. So what are the odds that a given school will see an active shooter? Tiny.

Probably about the same that an airport will have a terrorist try to sneak on a plane. Lockdown drills are similar "security theater." They may create a modest disincentive to potential attackers, but mostly what they do is reassure parents and reduce school liability (while scaring the crap out of some kids).

Its always good to be prepared in any situation...whether theres a high percentage of it happening or a 1 in a million chance. When it happens...its game on...no do overs.

The idea behind the Lock-Down drill is to slow the shooter down, since she now has to work to find targets, and thus give the police a few more precious minutes to get to the school before anybody is hurt.

'She'? You're kidding right? Maybe taking the gender equity thing a bit too far? Perhaps 'they' or 'one' if you don't want to point the finger.

Yes, when I taught we did lock-down drills several times a year alongh with Fire Drills and Earthquake Drills.

In an active shooter situation, when the cops come, they are looking to move in and incapacitate the shooter. As quick as possible and by any means necessary.

The initial cops are not looking to render aid, or help with moving kids to a safe environment. That should have already been done before the cops arrive.

If there are a bunch of kids running around, it makes it more difficult.

My DW was an elementary teacher and she had to do these drills. To prepare in advance, she also had to paper over the windows to the hallway and a huge door locking device was installed on all the classroom doors to prevent the doors from being easily kicked in.

Looks like they're getting a real one today in FL. Very sad.

Wow that is the school of the children of good friends. Both girls now grads of UF.

It seems every era has its own threat. In my day we did air raid drills.

I remember the drill of hiding under our desks during the Cuban missile crisis. Every era does indeed hold it's own threat.

I remember the drill of hiding under our desks during the Cuban missile crisis. Every era does indeed hold it's own threat.
+1

I remember that well.

It's sad we have to have drills for that reason but we practiced fire drills at Megacorp and never had any.

How many organizations do lockdown drills? Megacorp didn't, however there was no public access as in a hospital or university.

Last edited:
There have been two lockdowns in two years at the neighborhood grade school my kids went to. One a credible false alarm, one for a domestic disturbance that spilled over into the playground. I don't think the drills are meant to deter potential threats but to be able to respond to them.

And as useful. Let's see, a thermonuclear warhead has an air-burst explosion say seven miles away from the school. I wonder how well the hide under the desk would work out?

And as useful. Let's see, a thermonuclear warhead has an air-burst explosion say seven miles away from the school. I wonder how well the hide under the desk would work out?
Even children understood that, at least I did. Point is to do something, otherwise hysterics rule.

There probably was some benefits to folks outside the blast area. Our school has these huge windows from the 1930's, I'm sure less injuries might result.

Even children understood that, at least I did. Point is to do something, otherwise hysterics rule.

Even in elementary school the drill was to get everyone away from windows and sit down in the hallways. We knew it was a joke - the center of Washington, D.C. was about eight miles away. We called it "Go into the hall, bend over and kiss your butt goodbye".

But in practical terms, absent so much as a basement, let alone bomb shelters, that was about all they could do.

My niece attends Stoneman Douglas, my nephew goes to the middle school next door. (They are both fine). They had a fire drill just this morning...

Since this is the 12th school shooting in 45 days I'd say the "why bother statistically..." argument might fall apart before too much longer. Every flight I've ever taken has a routine safety procedure reminder, and I think schools might now be less safe than flying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom