Long range forecasts

KCGeezer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was sitting on the deck last night and noticed a bunch of geese (maybe 40?) taking off and heading south. I wondered if it wasn’t a bit early for them to begin migration but maybe not. Then I see this while waiting for a storm to pass and I have to head back to the city.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/farmers-almanac-winter-weather-predictions-161600007.html

Wooly worms, thickness of coat on various critters, and burning bush shrubs to guesstimate date of first snowfall have been good predictors in my experience.

Anybody else believe in old wive’s tales?

Last edited:
Interesting that bugs and migratory animals "just know" when to get ready for winter
yet the supposedly higher evolved/educated human can't tell without The Weather Channel...

We have the ability to build shelter to compensate for our shortcomings. :)

PS. I hasten to add that even that ability is getting atrophied away.

At least I still had time to edit the OP. Brain cramp I guess.

Anybody else believe in old wive’s tales?
DW is no old wife but she is a dear wife and her winter forecast is infallible. When she’s unhappy the winter is miserable for everyone, but when she’s chipper snd content the winter doesn’t seem all that bad. :)

I remember the old paper issues of "The Old Farmers Almanac". Grandma and Grandpa would always have the current issue, and I would read it from front to back. The weather forecast was incidental to the other sayings and anecdotes. Fun when you are 7 or 8 and killing time on Cape Cod in February.

Back
Top Bottom