Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Look at me! I'm a size 2!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:21 PM   #21
gone traveling

size 2 = no boobs.

might break something there.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2007, 09:24 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
How about the chick who said "I was a size 10 and now I'm a 2!" Nothing like perpetuating eating disorders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Oh but theeee best commercial is Maxyderm male enhancer which depicts the old fart taking the young dancing babe out of the bar for a roll in the hay.
Don't mean to detract from the validity of the original post but I will point out anyway that if the above were true then us men would be getting the much better deal

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:34 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny
I think the most annoying thing about that commercial is how she says it. I'm a size teew. Plus, she doesn't look like size 2 to me, I think the new size 2 is what size 6 used to be.
I'm too busy thinking "Oh my God her head is huge" to be annoyed by the way she says it.

I find the male/female differences on those commercials interesting - women want to be in a smaller size, guys just want to get laid.

As a guy, I can tell you, ladies, they got the guy commercial pretty much spot-on

- John
runchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:20 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have to chime in to brag about my man....a cute midriff baring skinny chick (around my age - 30 something) was walking in front of his vehicle with both of us inside....he barks "get your scrawny ass out of my way!" - was freezing outside, so only I heard it -so it was very funny - but he is not a skinny chick guy - most men I know like to look at them - but are afraid of breaking them! (not that I am overweight per se - just never will be skinny and that is fine with me!) We both agreed her long thick fluffy hair was nice, though! lol
Old 03-03-2007, 06:14 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Yrs to Go
Sounds like the advertising industry is hitting a raw nerve with the large, wrinkled, gray-haired, small-Johnsoned demographic.
Must be. In my "throw away" email account where most spam goes I get dozens of adds for various "remedies" of this sort every week. Somebody must be buying.

But that Maxiderm -- interesting. Cube-rat, can you PM me with more info?
Old 03-03-2007, 06:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
My nomination for the worst commercials ever: those for NutriSytem. One woman says: "Look at me I'm a size 2, hahaha." Another woman refers to her "smoking hot body." A man says his wife doesn't find him "as digusting anymore.:
These days, it seems like a size 2 is nothing to brag about, that you ain't nothing 'til you're a size 0, a size nothing. How crazy is that? Maybe it'll get even crazier and we'll have negative sizes, -1, -2...

When we first came over from the islands, a girlfriend and I had to learn that "You've gained weight!" was not a compliment to women here.

Maybe my translation isn't exact but back home, it was a common greeting to girlfriends you hadn't seen in a while, implying that they look good and look prosperous, not undernourished but looking like they had plenty to eat, are happier and not so problematic. Maybe now, even there, it's not a compliment anymore.

I admire full-bodied women who are confident and comfortable with their bodies, but images of them are hard to come by in our culture here. I once watched a local production of a musical in which one woman played a dominatrix and had to wear a two piece outfit (bikini top and shorts) and it was great to see someone on stage who was not model-thin but real like us and still confident and attractive.

Cultures change and what's ideal for body types change, too. The paintings of some of the old western masters depicted roundish women and they were beautiful.

I do like the more muscular, buff women bodies but not too muscular--maybe a little definition. As long as we don't get into too much fat that threatens our health, we should be OK.

However it is very hard to feel OK with our bodies when we are bombarded with lots of ads to be thin like we don't get enough to eat when we have so much cheap, fattening, good-tasting food around!
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:23 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I had a girlfriend once who was a size zero. Most fun I've ever had in a womens clothing store was having her take something to the changing room, have it be too big and see the look on the sales womens faces when she stuck her head over the swinging door to the changing room and said "this is too big! do you have it in a size zero?".

If looks could kill...

Although I prefer women with a little meat on them. Who the heck wants to gnaw on a bone?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:33 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I had a girlfriend once who was a size zero. Most fun I've ever had in a womens clothing store was having her take something to the changing room, have it be too big and see the look on the sales womens faces when she stuck her head over the swinging door to the changing room and said "this is too big! do you have it in a size zero?".

If looks could kill...

Although I prefer women with a little meat on them. Who the heck wants to gnaw on a bone?
Well, ... fortunately there are some who do.

Ha
Old 03-03-2007, 08:36 AM   #29

Those are right up there with the ED & Feminine Hygene ads. It is now an embarassment to watch tv with the family and I have never been considered prudish. The ad agencies need to clean it up and get real.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:17 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A man says his wife doesn't find him "as digusting anymore.:

Wtf?
Yeah - that one gets me every time! Gosh, I guess she STILL finds him disgusting LOL!

Audrey
Old 03-03-2007, 09:27 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Yeah - that one gets me every time! Gosh, I guess she STILL finds him disgusting LOL!

Audrey
I saw this commercial last night. Those guys are all ex-pro athletes. That guy is Jon Kruk, pro baseball player who made a name for being off the wall "disgusting" joker.

I think the add is relying on men recognizing him.
HelpMeRhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:20 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Oh - OK thanks for enlightening me! Over my head.

Audrey
Old 03-04-2007, 10:12 AM   #33
Gone but not forgotten

What I wonder is how these women get to be a size two when it says they weigh 138 lbs.That's more like a size 12 .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:17 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Oh - OK thanks for enlightening me! Over my head.

Audrey
Actually, I think your reaction proves the ad missed it's intended mark. It may mean something for the guy crowd, but if the gals reaction is similar to yours, they missed pretty badly (IMHO).
HelpMeRhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:35 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg
What I wonder is how these women get to be a size two when it says they weigh 138 lbs.That's more like a size 12 .
No, it's more about body composition than numbers on the scale. I'm 5' 6" and weigh more than 138 at ~21% body fat. I wear a size 6 pants/skirt. There are ladies who weigh less than I do and wear a size 12/14. I happen to have a good deal of muscle on my body (muscle is much more compact than fat) so the numbers on the scale are higher but I wear what would be considered an average pant size.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:28 PM   #36

I find the ads annoying, but as some one who is less than 5 feet tall and wears this offensive size, let's just say I wouldn't look good if I needed anything larger.

I know I won't get any sympathy but it is NOT a fun size - difficult to find and generally only available in more costly stores, so I cross my fingers and hope the 1 pair of blue pants with the right kind of waist band are still there when it is time to go on sale.

Now, I won't even start on my shoe size - which is even more difficult to find.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:52 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My nomination for the worst commercials ever: those for NutriSytem. One woman says: "Look at me I'm a size 2, hahaha." Wtf?

End rant.
Yeah, Martha. I agree. For some reason, that commercial really grates on me. Especially when she says " . . .and I can have chocolate every daaay." It's not so much what she says, but how she says it. The enthusiasm in her voice just seems so excessive and unnatural.

WTF!!
Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 04:20 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

What about the one with the beard dye....

The two announcers are doing play by play... the old guy with grey beard goes up to young miss hottie... 'REJECTED'....

Now dyes his beard.... back to miss hottie, she grabs him and pulls him in... "HOMERUN"... hmmm, if that is not the most blantant sexual comment, I am missing the other ones...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:17 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
What about the one with the beard dye....

The two announcers are doing play by play... the old guy with grey beard goes up to young miss hottie... 'REJECTED'....

Now dyes his beard.... back to miss hottie, she grabs him and pulls him in... "HOMERUN"... hmmm, if that is not the most blantant sexual comment, I am missing the other ones...
Texas, my dh and I mimic right along with that commercial and my husband will say "REJECTED" when he does something dumb.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:26 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

So if he's like most married men, this is a common event?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote