Join Early Retirement Today

Lookin' out my backdoor
Old 03-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lookin' out my backdoor

We live next to a greenbelt area and the #3 fairway of one of the 3 golf courses in the community. Lots of wildlife pass right behind out back fence which is only 50 feet from our patio door. We have 2 trailcams (Bushnell and Browning) on the back fence to see what's happening, especially at night. I put together a little montage of the various critters it's caught over the past year or so. We see most of these regularly although a lot fewer deer since their trapping program removed quite a few of them during February.

The coyotes are fairly elusive... fox, skunks and raccoons are like frequent flyers... The guy with the bb gun is my neighbor who, under the influence of some nice red wine, decided to have a little fun. The 'trash can lid' deer was a fixture for a long time..she stuck her head in one of the golf course trash cans and came away with a necklace. Didn't slow her down, but she disappeared some months later. Calls to the Game Warden to get her some help were rebuffed and we were told it would be more harmful to catch and sedate her than to let her continue with the bling.

Backdoor Critter Cam
best with sound up

Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #2

Well done, and interesting!
Old 03-13-2019, 03:30 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That was fun for sure.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Really cool
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:47 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We have quite a bit of wildlife in out back yard (backs up to a very large chuck of undeveloped land) much to our dog's disapproval. The deer will wonder off if the dogs get too excited, but the 10 wild turkeys that come around every few days could care less about the dogs.

I have thought about getting a game camera to see what else creeps in the night that we can't see.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Very cool!!
Old 03-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #7

My backdoor is the Pacific ocean. On several occasions I have watched the schools of spotted hound sharks swim down the coast.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
We have quite a bit of wildlife in out back yard (backs up to a very large chuck of undeveloped land) much to our dog's disapproval. The deer will wonder off if the dogs get too excited, but the 10 wild turkeys that come around every few days could care less about the dogs.

I have thought about getting a game camera to see what else creeps in the night that we can't see.

You would enjoy a trail cam... lots of fun..neighbors who had lived here for years had no idea what wildlife was in their backyard until I started posting the videos... a handful of them have bought cameras since..
Old 03-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Very nice. Thanks.
We get wildlife from time to time.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

A few from my backyard.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:11 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Very cool!
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
You would enjoy a trail cam... lots of fun..neighbors who had lived here for years had no idea what wildlife was in their backyard until I started posting the videos... a handful of them have bought cameras since..
Very nice, thanks for posting.

Any must have features on a cam? We live on the edge of a national forest, there is a lot of creatures I've seen. Sadly the most aloof, lions, have escaped my camera. I'd love to get one on camera.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:58 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Any must have features on a cam? We live on the edge of a national forest, there is a lot of creatures I've seen. Sadly the most aloof, lions, have escaped my camera. I'd love to get one on camera.
Motion+heat sensor, so you don't just get pics of leaves fluttering in the wind.

Decide if you care about still photos or video. I have 3 cameras, the one I like best takes 3 shots then 10 seconds of video.

Look for good night vision. Not sure exactly what terminology or what would be specs for that.

Read reviews about battery usage. You don't want to be replacing batteries every week, or finding you missed weeks of action due to dead batteries. I use rechargeables and generally change every month but could probably go 2.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #14

awesome bobcat and bear....I'm glad we don't have those guys...We have small dogs and I'm already concerned about coyotes.. also about our dogs getting 'skunked' ...
Old 03-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #15

Quote:
also about our dogs getting 'skunked' ...
A BIL had a beautiful collie, but at times could be a bit dim-witted, she got skunked twice.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:11 PM   #16

Thanks for sharing. We also live on a course and are amazed at the nocturnal happenings.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:14 PM   #17

We had a rat terrier - smartest dog I ever saw, but extremely territorial. She got skunked twice in the same week. Didn't slow her down for a second.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:35 PM   #18

Very enjoyable - thanks for sharing!

It makes me wonder who/what is prowling around in my back yard at night.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:42 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Our biggest concern is coyotes in town. Now that our big guy has died I always go out with the little ones day or night.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:45 PM   #20

Quote:
The guy with the bb gun is my neighbor who, under the influence of some nice red wine, decided to have a little fun.

That was the highlight of the video. How much did you pay him to act like that?
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote