Looking for a computer lock...but not like you think. A PHYSICAL lock for a desktop

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If any of you have followed (or give a $#@), I now have my 3 boys 4-5 days/week! One thing I'm limited on is space...so my desktop computer hasnt been hooked up yet because of the ability of my 1 year old to get into and destroy everything.

I have a nice glass desk in the living room and want to put it below...but want to find a super-small cabinet or locking 'cover' so-to-speak in order to prevent him from pulling cords etc?

Any ideas?

I looked for something like that on the material handling websites (think Grainger) to try to find a locking case for our server, and really never found anything reasonably priced. We wound up putting it in a lockable room instead.
Might be easier to find a small locker-type piece of furniture from IKEA or something, and add a tiny padlock.

I put everything I didn't want Gabe to mess with in a single room, and put a latch on the outside about 5' up. When I was in there, I put a baby gate across the doorway so he could waddle over and hang out but not get in there and mess with wires and stuff.

When he was 2, I got him his own computer, tablet, ipod and phone.

I would avoid putting the computer in any case that would interfere with cooling. If your desk was wood, you could possibly mount the computer sideways underneath:

hanging_cpu_rack_horizontal-150.jpg

A simpler alternative may be to just wedge the computer in between a wall / small furniture so that the child simply cannot get to the back.

It might help to use cable ties to pick up extra slack in the power/display cords. Also using wireless keyboard/mouse will eliminate two more cords.

Back
Top Bottom