Join Early Retirement Today

Looking for a new tire inflator
Old 11-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looking for a new tire inflator

I'm looking for a tire inflator to replace my old one that is not working right. I have a Sears cordless but the chuck is starting to come loose during inflation, and as a result doesn't inflate without needing me to hold the chuck againt the tire manually.

My only need is to top-off the air. Ideally, the inflator would be cordless and have an auto PSI shutoff. But, 12V would work too.

What I have now:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00911586000P?keyword=c3+inflator&sLe vel=0&prop17=c3%20inflator

What I am considering:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xno/R-100674214/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Your thoughts and recommendations?

Previous thread:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...res-49470.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

For those prices look at the emergency jump starters that have a air pump.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For the price of the one you're looking at, you may want to shop around for something like this:

Amazon.com: Stanley J5C09 500 Amp Jump Starter with Compressor: Automotive

I don't have this model, but something similar (some knock name) that my brother got from Menards (home supply center comparable to Home Depot). The one I have only cost $39 (was on sale for $49 this summer). What's nice is they have an internal battery, so you can jump your car, has an inflator w/gauge, and a light. The air compressor works pretty well on this, much better than just the plug in portable types and can be charged ac/dc. I keep it in the trunk in case the battery ever dies out on me. I've had it for over 3+ years now and it's still going strong.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #4

Google sears parts & put in your model # & you'll find the part you're looking for:

Air hose Number:671793001Then look up a sears parts center near you & you'll have fixed this for $12.48
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I actually have a lesser Stanley jumper (without the air pump). Was figuring since I already had a pump, thought I'd save the cost. Kind of wish I had that now.

I do have a 12V inflator (with auto shut off) that actually does a good job inflating which I bought at Walmart about 2 years ago for $20 (not carried there anymore).
Old 11-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Google sears parts & put in your model # & you'll find the part you're looking for:

Air hose Number:671793001Then look up a sears parts center near you & you'll have fixed this for $12.48

Thanks. Might go that route, but it seems what I described is a common problem with that inflator and wouldn't want to have to change that every 2 years.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Thanks. Might go that route, but it seems what I described is a common problem with that inflator and wouldn't want to have to change that every 2 years.
Check the warranty. According to the website you linked, it may have a Craftsman Lifetime Warranty
Old 11-20-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

The other option is to use a Co2 tank.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Check the warranty. According to the website you linked, it may have a Craftsman Lifetime Warranty

Thanks for the idea. It's only a one year warranty I bought it on Jan of 2009.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post

Walkinwood,

This really is good to know. I might end up going this route as each time I use a non-cordless, I'll be wishing I had a cordless.

I wonder though, could I just buy a cheap bicycle pump, detach the hose and fit that in my inflator as the only thing not functioning is the chuck. the rest of the inflator works like new.

Easy
Old 11-20-2010, 10:24 PM   #11

Quote:
I wonder though, could I just buy a cheap bicycle pump, detach the hose and fit that in my inflator as the only thing not functioning is the chuck. the rest of the inflator works like new.

Easy
You should bring in your pump unit to any hardware store that carries brass/copper plumbing fittings. I'm sure you can cut/replace the hose and they'll have repair parts to refit yours. Save the expense of buying/tossing a bike pump. This should be a pretty standard air hose to repair/replace.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:29 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I was thinking about the same lines. See that Home Depot even has a hose repair kit. For about $4.

Husky 5 pc Hose Repair Kit - HDA40700AV at The Home Depot
Old 11-20-2010, 10:36 PM   #13

If you bring it in, you'll be able to buy only the pieces you need. This kit will end up leaving you with extra parts.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:45 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Good idea about bringing it in. All I really need is a good air chuck that doesn't leak. Of course, to got to that point, I might need to cut the hose and reattach that to a new air chuck.

In any case, the solution seems a lot easier than purchasing a new inflator (plus, it'll still be cordless too!)
Old 11-21-2010, 07:14 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

If you only need to use it to top-off, not sure why the retention feature is necessary...but you could replace the end piece with one of these which is very durable. I'm pretty sure this brand is sold by Harbor Freight as well
Amazon.com: Tire Chuck with Clip: Automotive
Old 11-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #16

Quote:
I do have a 12V inflator (with auto shut off) that actually does a good job inflating which I bought at Walmart about 2 years ago for $20 (not carried there anymore).
I bought one of these (different model) at SAM's several years ago and have been very happy with it. I use it for bicycles and wheelbarrows, as well as for automobile tires.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Thanks for the idea. It's only a one year warranty I bought it on Jan of 2009.
Might you have bought this on a credit card that doubled the warranty? You might need the receipt but possibly the store might have it in their database.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
If you only need to use it to top-off, not sure why the retention feature is necessary...but you could replace the end piece with one of these which is very durable. I'm pretty sure this brand is sold by Harbor Freight as well
Amazon.com: Tire Chuck with Clip: Automotive
+1. These often go on sale for $1 at Harbor Freight.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Might you have bought this on a credit card that doubled the warranty? You might need the receipt but possibly the store might have it in their database.

Didn't even think about that. Great idea.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Well...I fixed the hose of my tire inflator. I think it works even better now than when brand new

Here's a link to a picture of the inflator after my fix up:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...picture637.jpg

I first tried using a ball type chuck with clip on but that still leaked air. Instead to solve the problem, I had to sacrifice a hose from a cheap inflator

Tire Top Off (40020) - Repairing a flat tire? Slime Tire & Tube Sealant

that has a screw-on type air-chuck. For some reason, I've had more success with these type of connections. I already had this cheap inflator around.

As you can see from the picture, it was a tight fit as the hoses didn't cover all the hose splice. I probably don't even need the hose clips as the fit is so tight.

Now I have a 100% working inflator, which is cordless, does not leak air, and all fixed at a nominal cost (about $5 for parts, and another $10 to replace the cheap inflator). I decided to replace the cheap Slime inflator as insurance in case I don't keep the battery charged on my cordless inflator and a tire goes flat while on the road.

Thanks for all the suggestions.