Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Looking for books that make you laugh
Old 08-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looking for books that make you laugh

I am going on a long road trip and I am looking for some light, entertaining books that make me laugh (not a joke book or comedy club kind of routine, but more in the area of novels or essays)- some big belly laughs would be good. Some tear jerking "almost peed in my pants" laughs would be even better, but I know those are hard to come by.

I realize everyone's sense of humor is different, but I would like to see what books you've found entertaining in this regard.

Thank you!
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

In God We Trust; All Others Pay Cash ...by Jean Shepherd

(it's not about money)

http://www.amazon.com/God-We-Trust-O...p/0385021747#_

(and I think I did pee my pants)
Old 08-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Just kidding! I would recommend The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Here's the wikipedia link:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I have read a couple of Dave Barry books in the past week or two. He has written many, and personally I think they are absolutely hilarious.

Dave Barry's Money Secrets: Like: Why is there a Giant Eyeball on the Dollar?

and

Homes and Other Black Holes

There is one on every topic imaginable - - he has written dozens. These books really lighten my day when the "doom 'n' gloomers" on the news get me down. Balance in all things, y'know.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

No personal experience, but my wife loves the Stephanie Plum series of novels written by Janet Evanovich.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

They funniest book I have ever read is "Sh-t my dad's says " . It is laugh outloud funny . You can go to his web site by the same name and see if you would like his humor .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
No personal experience, but my wife loves the Stephanie Plum series of novels written by Janet Evanovich.

I love Stephanie Plum . Her books are hysterical but they are geared towards women .
Old 08-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Interesting. I was surfing for "funniest book I've ever read" and her books were mentioned on some threads.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I love Stephanie Plum . Her books are hysterical but they are geared towards women .
Yes, and I checked that the OP's profile said "female" before I suggested it. Not that there's anything wrong with men reading them...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 08-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, and I checked that the OP's profile said "female" before I suggested it. Not that there's anything wrong with men reading them...
I thank you for that Ziggy - for your thorough approach!

So far, I have prepared to check out Dave Barry's "I'm mature when I'm dead", "Sh*t My Dad Says" (I read some exerpts and yes, I laughed out loud!) and "One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, No. 1)". (Thank you Purron for your suggestion too, but I've already read that one.)

They will keep me busy for a while (about 15 hours on the road)...
Old 08-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I am going to look into "S*hit My Dad Says" and "One for the Money" too. They sound great!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I thank you for that Ziggy - for your thorough approach!

So far, I have prepared to check out Dave Barry's "I'm mature when I'm dead", "Sh*t My Dad Says" (I read some exerpts and yes, I laughed out loud!) and "One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, No. 1)". (Thank you Purron for your suggestion too, but I've already read that one.)

They will keep me busy for a while (about 15 hours on the road)...

Once you read one Stephanie Plum prepare to be hooked . I have read every one and they are all hysterical .
Old 08-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't read too many books, but my sister sent me one when I was recovering from knee surgery. "TALES FROM THE DAD SIDE" by Steve Doocy (Fox and Friends) was great.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

me talk pretty one day by david sedaris. i haven't listened to it, but i have read it a couple of times and made me laugh so hard. i have heard it is so much funnier with sedaris narrating.

i also enjoy this american life. it's free as long as you download it each week. i find them very entertaining. some are funny, some are serious, some stink.

garrison keillor (sp?) also makes for some entertaining short stories. your local library should have those.
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
garrison keillor (sp?) also makes for some entertaining short stories. your local library should have those.
Better yet, IMO, look for Garrison Keillor's narrated stories on CD. (I think there are also some free things you can download to an iPod and such). The written stuff is nice, but it really comes out in Keillor's narration. Usually I find the book is better than the movie or the audio CD, but when it comes to Keillor I'd prefer his narrative.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

+1 on Dave Barry. And I'm not making this up...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #17

You might like this one. I thought it was very funny.

Amazon.com: Smile When You're Lying: Confessions of a Rogue Travel Writer (9780805082098): Chuck Thompson: Books
Old 08-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

The whole (definitely nsfw) Kinky Friedman series. Amazon.com: Kinky Friedman: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle

If you really want to get into it you can listen to his albums at the same time.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #19

+1 on Sh!t My Dad Says, but also on checking the website first to see if it's your kind of thing. For those who are curious but aren't going bother with a book, you can just read the twitter feed, also of the same name. And actually, even if you did read the book, read the twitter feed too, because there's a lot of funny stuff on there that's not in the book.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Just listened to "Hurricane Punch" by Tim Dorsey (Amazon.com: Hurricane Punch CD: A Novel (9780061227233): Tim Dorsey, Oliver Wyman: Books) on a road trip this week. Parts of it had us laughing so hard we were crying.

(we checked it out from the library)