Looking for Gorgeous Area in Income Tax Free State

Likewize. That was my biggest concern in relocating to the PA/Sequim area (even in the rain shadow), that and the relative remoteness. DH would be fine there, he's a hermit by nature, but I need a bit more sun & civilization.

That said, once we're settled in our new digs, we'll probably spend a good amt of time up there, it's waaay up on our Nice Place to Visit list (esp since it's a convenient ferry ride to Vancouver Island, which is #1 on that list). And thanks to the booming SF Bay area RE market, we'll have more set aside for travel than we originally planned. :blush:

I didn't realize she was from CA. :LOL:

Yea, SoCal, not at all far from where we now live.

In some of the larger cities health is reasonably available. If you are a vet there are VA hospitals in both Cheyenne and Sheridan. Some people prefer the "border" areas for access to more healthcare options (i.e. Evanston for access to Salt Lake City, Cheyenne for access to Ft. Collins or Denver).

I wouldn't bank on WA state being a no-income tax state for much longer. There are some rumblings about establishing a tax for higher earners that I think may gain legs.

I am not sure how much that catastrophe in Seattle with the giant tunnel boring machine is going to end up costing the state (hard to imagine Seattle eating the whole cost overrun) and there are other money sinks that sales tax may not keep up with.
Income tax in WA is a third rail, just like sales tax in OR. It is not impossible, but unlikely IMHO. Both states may be far left, but so much that they have left their brains on the floor in the voting booth--yet.

With respect to Sequim, I understand that there is a relatively high turnover in property there because folks move there to take advantage of the lowest rainfall in the state (in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains) but they get bored after a while.

As to the Olympic Peninsula, it is pretty rural for my taste and has a true rain forest in it. We love to visit, but we wouldn't move there.

There are many really attractive areas in WA which are away from the urban sprawls but they have a disadvantage of being remote from the better health care centers as well. Here in Bellingham we have a great health care center. One problem for retirees is that it is hard to find a primary physician who will take new Medicare patients, but I suppose that is everywhere.

With respect to Sequim, I understand that there is a relatively high turnover in property there because folks move there to take advantage of the lowest rainfall in the state (in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains) but they get bored after a while.

As to the Olympic Peninsula, it is pretty rural for my taste and has a true rain forest in it. We love to visit, but we wouldn't move there.

There are many really attractive areas in WA which are away from the urban sprawls but they have a disadvantage of being remote from the better health care centers as well. Here in Bellingham we have a great health care center. One problem for retirees is that it is hard to find a primary physician who will take new Medicare patients, but I suppose that is everywhere.

I second Bellingham as a nice community but don't know the price of land. Check to see if Group Health's Medicare Advantage plan is available.. no problem then with finding a PCP who accepts Medicare.

One advantage of Clark County (and probably the other SW counties I mentioned) is that both Kaiser and Providence have top rated Medicare Advantage plans. Portland also has a large Veteran's Hospital, ancillary clinics in Vancouver, WA.

Ruled NH out long ago. Pretty state but long cold winters.
And Wyoming doesn't? LOL. Well, you did say you liked desert type areas more. Maybe look at hill country in Texas, west of Austin and San Antonio. I don't know enough about the towns to recommend any specific one.

One thing you've already learned about this forum, you can ask specific questions but that doesn't stop people from chipping in with whatever they want to answer. I swear you could ask what 2+2 is, and before you get your answer someone will give you the answer to 3+3, another person would say you should really concern yourself with subtraction, and someone else will tell you how cool multiplication is.

That said, the comments about not letting taxes dictate where you go seem right to me. Or at least be sure to consider the whole tax picture. Even though your income sounds like it'll still be high, I'd think it'll be a lot less than it was. But, if paying taxes is going to bug you and you can find a great area you love in a tax-free state, go for it.

And Wyoming doesn't? LOL. Well, you did say you liked desert type areas more. Maybe look at hill country in Texas, west of Austin and San Antonio. I don't know enough about the towns to recommend any specific one.

Ah the myth of the TX hill country.

Every bit as hot as the coast and every bug that bites lives there.

WY is pretty brutal. Harsh wind and cold most of the year.

OP have you considered tri-cities WA? Way better climate, no state income tax.

NB, san marcos, boerne, Wimberley, all nice spots tho

Several of us have recommended the state of WA. I suggest that the OP plan several relatively long term visits to each of the areas of the state mentioned and look around. Keep in mind the fact that east of the Cascade Mountains is a high plateau. It is dryer, hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I recommend you buy or borrow "Weather of the Pacific Northwest" by Cliff Mass, PhD.

FWIW mosquitoes are not a problem except around mountain lakes in the spring (the fish need something to eat). Rattle snakes can be found in the central and eastern areas of the PNW.

Last edited:
yes that's horrible - friends of a friend were the ones that died in that house on the blanco last weekend, just terrible

one thing about TX, best food on the planet IMO

the food in the PNW isn't nearly as good, well maybe except for the seafood - the texmex here is just plain horrible and the BBQ is a joke, I miss those gigantic head-on shrimp at fiesta for $7 a pound

PNW has great wine though. The regular/craft beer is about the same as TX.

Last edited:
As a related aside, it also seems to me that there's a connection between states that have a high income tax and ones that overwhelm their citizens with rules, regulations and a generally in your face attitude. NY and CA are two examples that immediately come to mind.

As a related aside, it also seems to me that there's a connection between states that have a high income tax and ones that overwhelm their citizens with rules, regulations and a generally in your face attitude. NY and CA are two examples that immediately come to mind.

Oh, bruther. Here we go again.

Generally it's because most people in the state want it that way. Different strokes and all. That's why we are free to "vote with our feet".

Last edited:

On the flip side, there is also a connection between taxes and the public services those taxes are able to provide. California raised taxes on the wealthy not too long ago, while Kansas has cut income taxes. If you only look at income taxes and not budgets and services, that is only considering one side of the equation.

California's Budget Surplus Soars to New Heights - School Benefit
California's budget surplus soars to new heights; schools to benefit - San Jose Mercury News

Education Latest Target of Kansas Budget Cuts
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/us/politics/education-is-newest-target-of-kansas-budget-cuts.html

Last edited:
+1

Some that don't live here pass through and bite, too. And all of them suck.

Well, don't forget snakes, bears, horned toads, and assorted varmints. nobody wants important elements left out...

What's wrong with horned toads? They never hurt anybody. I think they're sort of cute. And the squirting blood out of it's eyes defense is pretty wild.

What's wrong with horned toads? They never hurt anybody. I think they're sort of cute. And the squirting blood out of it's eyes defense is pretty wild.

Just a failure of imagination, I guess, hence the "assorted varmints". You're right, they are cute. I could live with replacing the toad with skunk.

Back
Top Bottom