Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Looking for slim front pocket wallet or ...
Old 06-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looking for slim front pocket wallet or ...

I'm trying to get a nice slim solution for the front pocket to hold my credit cards + bills + drivers license. Security plus convenience is the goal.

Cards: Right now I have a thin wallet but getting the right number of slots for credit cards, library card, loyalty cards, medical cards etc. is a challenge. I need to carry maybe 8 cards.

Bills: Sometimes I carry maybe $100 max in $20's and lower bills. Most purchases are credit card ones. I've never used money clips but they seem like they might be a hassle to get at the right bill quickly.

Photo ID: My current wallet has a photo ID window which is very convenient plus I can store small auto related papers behind it.

Any thoughts on products that have helped with this?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

My wife bought this one for me at the BX. Cost about $20.00
Fossil Fairfax ID Bifold FPW Wallet

see amazon.com
RHLnFLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

How about a card wallet? I have this one, (photo below) although I do not carry it in a front pants pocket since I am not a guy (it goes in my purse). The contents you list would fit easily. I can fit a drivers' license, debit card, half a dozen calling cards, and some bills in it. No coins, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wallet.jpg (6.3 KB, 123 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

That wallet looks nice.

My latest thought is a 2 holder solution:
1) Slim front pocket credit card holder, with photo_ID + cards and maybe a money clip for $20's only.

2) Back pocket wallet for small bills, less important cards (like library card). I've never had my pocket picked but if it happened it would have only modest impact.

Your thoughts?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
That wallet looks nice.

My latest thought is a 2 holder solution:
1) Slim front pocket credit card holder, with photo_ID + cards and maybe a money clip for $20's only.

2) Back pocket wallet for small bills, less important cards (like library card). I've never had my pocket picked but if it happened it would have only modest impact.

Your thoughts?
I would just use a collapsible/expandable front pocket card holder like the one I have. Leave your less important cards at home unless you foresee a specific need for them on that day.

I really thought I needed all those cards (like library card, SS card, professional membership cards, etc) until I put them in a drawer at home. Now it is hard to imagine that I was carrying them around all the time like that.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
How about a card wallet? I have this one, (photo below) although I do not carry it in a front pants pocket since I am not a guy (it goes in my purse). The contents you list would fit easily. I can fit a drivers' license, debit card, half a dozen calling cards, and some bills in it. No coins, though.
Nice picture but if I had a purse my problems would be solved.

I'm kind of slim and with jeans (not even tight fitting), fattish wallets are a problem. Can't give up my jeans.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

This is the wallet that I use in my front pocket:

MAKR Vertical Pocket Wallet

It contains my driver's license, 6 cards, and a few folded bills. No photo ID window, but I very rarely have to pull my ID out (except when I get carded at the liquor store ).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I would just use a collapsible/expandable front pocket card holder like the one I have. Leave your less important cards at home unless you foresee a specific need for them on that day.

I really thought I needed all those cards (like library card, SS card, professional membership cards, etc) until I put them in a drawer at home. Now it is hard to imagine that I was carrying them around all the time like that.
Leaving the cards at home sounds like an interesting thought. But what happens the first time I'm at the library or doc's and tell them I forgot my card? Maybe a photo copy would work? The library uses a bar code scanner so maybe they'd take that.

Not sure about the doc and if it's an emergency that could be a problem. It's something to explore though.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I just checked - - the five cards (other than my DL and debit card) that I carry include my doctor's card and my dentist's card (both with my next appt written on them). I also have one card with the phone numbers of about a dozen people including my plumber, electrician, lawn guy, insurance agent, handyman, and so on, written on the back (I could probably eliminate that one if I entered the phone numbers into my iPhone, though). I carry my medical insurance card and Medicare card.

That's about it, so my library card fits nicely when I want to carry it. I usually have some idea when I leave home whether or not I am going to the library. YMMV Actually, I confess it is there right now because I forgot to take it out last time.

I can *stuff* $400 into this card holder but it bulges terribly and won't close completely. There would be no problem whatsoever if you carried $100 or so, especially if you made a point of carrying no more than four $1 bills. Four $1 bills, a $5, a $10, and four $20 bills is only 10 bills.

If you carry a lot of credit cards, maybe there is one that you use most of the time and the rest could be left at home? If not, then I guess you have a problem fitting all of them in and I have no solution to that one.

Here are the other card holders that Amazon carries, just to give you an idea of the various styles available.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

the simple clip wallet ...and cheap too! But here is what I actually use Wilsons Leather Front Pocket Leather Wallet w/ ID - Wilsons Leather in black. Holds everything I need and the front ID display is really handy
killingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I got a Rogue Wallet about a year and half ago. It has held up OK. It has a funky curved design which has grown on me a lot. The curve is specifically to fit front pockets. I bought it directly from them.

Rogue Industries · Makers of the Original Rogue Wallet. Accessories Inspired by New England Craftsmanship.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had the same problem with a fat wallet that bugged me. I decided to go back to a method I used some years back and decided to stick with this for awhile. First I went through the fat wallet and got rid of everything I didn't use on a regular basis. Gone are the pictures, discount cards from drug stores and grocery stores, etc. Stuff I hardly ever used and some I didn't know I had. Then I found that a lot of the problem was a lot of low number folding money.

I found a wallet at WalMart that was only about $10 but fit the purpose for credit cards etc. The wallet has a plastic window where I put my drivers license and then there are seven slots for credit cards, medical ID cards or whatever. Behind the card slots are pockets for other misc papers such as medical information, list of phone numbers, etc. Then there is the usual pocket for folding money which I limit to $10 bills and up. Still it's about 3/4 inch when folded.

Edited to add that I went away from the tri-fold wallet and bought a bi-fold. That solved a lot of the thickness problem.

Then I went on amazon.com and bought a leather covered magnetic folding money clip ($6). In it I keep $5 bills and ones and receipts for purchases. This is carried in my front pocket. I'm happy with the way it has worked so far. I see guys with wallets 1 1/2 " thick and don't quite understand what could possibly be in there. Also, it puts undue pressure on your spine when you are sitting down.

It's just the way I did it and some may say it's not the safest way, carrying your wallet/money in your hip pocket.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #13

My partial solution is decidedly low tech.

All discount/loyalty cards, along with library cards and several membership cards, are kept in the door pocket next to the driver's seat of my car. When I arrive someplace, I grab the appropriate card and walk in to use it. Upon leaving, the card goes back in the door pocket.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #14

I buy my front pocket wallets from Walletbe. WalletBe® Mens Wallets and Womens Wallets thin wallets are their specialty. DW even got a men's front wallet, as she doesn't take purses that much. They have lasted well for me.

EDIT: i just noticed that on walletbe, on clearance for 12.95 is a 2 in one deal. the 1 wallet that is inside is the classic men's front pocket wallet that is 24.95 otherwise. and the other item in the 2 in one ends up being a great change holder, or I keep my store loyalty cards in them in my work bag. That 2 for 1 was the first think I bought years ago at walletbe, but then it was marketed for men.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Several interesting suggestions to check out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
I buy my front pocket wallets from Walletbe. WalletBe® Mens Wallets and Womens Wallets thin wallets are their specialty. DW even got a men's front wallet, as she doesn't take purses that much. They have lasted well for me.

EDIT: i just noticed that on walletbe, on clearance for 12.95 is a 2 in one deal. the 1 wallet that is inside is the classic men's front pocket wallet that is 24.95 otherwise. and the other item in the 2 in one ends up being a great change holder, or I keep my store loyalty cards in them in my work bag. That 2 for 1 was the first think I bought years ago at walletbe, but then it was marketed for men.
I took a look at this and the design sounds really great. It's also available through Amazon. Some of the spec'd features:
  • Hand Finished Italian Leather
  • Outer ID sleeve
  • Hold up to 10 credit cards
  • Interior elastic pocket holds receipts and business cards
  • Elastic band securely holds cash in place
  • Protects magnetic strips on credit cards
I don't understand the clearance deal. Is this the same $25 ID card wallet + something else? Seems like an odd way to do things. Why would one purchase the $25 ID card? -- unless they were like me and didn't notice the clearance deal.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I don't understand the clearance deal. Is this the same $25 ID card wallet + something else? Seems like an odd way to do things. Why would one purchase the $25 ID card? -- unless they were like me and didn't notice the clearance deal.
I've never understood the clearance deal either. It's been like that for a while. Maybe it's just a perk for shopping at their site. Except now it is marketed as womens. maybe someone complained that the mens was $25 and the same wallet in the 2 for 1 was $13? so the one for $13 is *presto* a women's! Also, the 2 slot money clip wallet is the thinnest wallet I've ever seen. I did have one of the money clip wallets, but DW took it and uses the money clip feature to clip onto her front jeans pocket when we go to crowded places.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
big skinny
Old 06-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

big skinny

I have a trifold wallet from Big Skinny (Wallet-World’s Thinnest Wallets! A Thin, Slim, Flat Wallet by Big Skinny). It's held up well for over a year and has good carrying capacity. They have several different designs, all meant for people who want thin wallets.
figner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #18

Quote:
I use this one as well and am very happy with it. I carry it in the back pocket but it does fit comfortably in the front pocket. I currently have 10 plastic cards and my driver's license in it. it can hold more.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #19

The wallet by Big Skinny hasn't gotten many good reviews !

Leather Hybrid Super Skinny Bi-Fold Wallet : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors
Old 06-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
The wallet by Big Skinny hasn't gotten many good reviews !

Leather Hybrid Super Skinny Bi-Fold Wallet : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors
Oh yeah, some of those reviews don't look so good! I'm happy with mine (not a leather version, trifold), but if I didn't keep the card slots full maybe I'd have similar problems with cards slipping out.
figner is offline   Reply With Quote