Looking for the Space Station

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
Human Space Flight (HSF) - Orbital Tracking

The following sighting information is published by the Johnson Space Center, Flight Design Division, Orbit Flight Dynamics Group. Sites are chosen in order to provide a representation of the world's demographic distribution. To compute sighting data for sites not listed here, please use the NASA Skywatch applet which will allow you to enter your exact location.

I love that site.

The last Space Station pass (Monday evening) faded out just as a separate (and much dimmer) satellite faded in. Late last year I was even lucky enough to see the SS pass by as it was being overtaken by the docking shuttle.

Our next Space Station pass starts at 7:36 PM from southwest to northeast, visible for five minutes and peaking at a 77-degree azimuth. Hope the clouds are gone by then... I'll be enjoying the view from the back lanai, sipping a frosty beverage and remembering when I was a 10-year-old discovering Asimov, Bradbury, & Heinlein.

Late last year I was even lucky enough to see the SS pass by as it was being overtaken by the docking shuttle.

I saw that one.
But then I remember going out to see Sputnik.

Here's another site. It includes a bunch of space objects.

Heavens-Above Home Page

The most fascinating to me are the Iridium flares. Those are the ones for the satellite phones. The three antennas are shiny, and they have the patterns programmed in. At certain times and certain areas, you can see a flare as the panel reflects sunlight through your area. It can be brighter than any star in the night sky if you are in the center of the flare area (just a few miles wide).

-ERD50

Human Space Flight (HSF) - Orbital Tracking

The following sighting information is published by the Johnson Space Center, Flight Design Division, Orbit Flight Dynamics Group. Sites are chosen in order to provide a representation of the world's demographic distribution. To compute sighting data for sites not listed here, please use the NASA Skywatch applet which will allow you to enter your exact location.

Our next Space Station pass starts at 7:36 PM from southwest to northeast, visible for five minutes and peaking at a 77-degree azimuth.

We've seen the shuttle and ISS fly over several times, thanks to that website! It's pretty amazing to think you can see something that small from so far away! It's neat to say the least.

We're heading outside in a couple of minutes to watch it go over here....9:41pm, from SW to ENE, visible for five minutes and peaking at a 70-degree azimuth.

Happy viewing to everyone!

I saw that one.
But then I remember going out to see Sputnik.

My folks and older siblings saw it go over......but not me.

We're heading outside in a couple of minutes to watch it go over here....9:41pm, from SW to ENE, visible for five minutes and peaking at a 70-degree azimuth.

Happy viewing to everyone!

Now that was timely! I saw your post, looked at the clock... 9:41! Ran outside and tracked it all the way across the sky.

Great viewing night, clear, nice temperature.

The first time I saw it was the coolest for me - the Shuttle and SS were traveling about 2 seconds apart - pretty neat to think there are people up there.

Thanks Goonie - ERD50

It was right on time......9:41pm (central time). It's crystal clear out tonight, too......a bazillion stars out! We were able to watch it for 4 minutes...would've been 5 if not for the trees. Amazing!

The first time I saw it was the coolest for me - the Shuttle and SS were traveling about 2 seconds apart - pretty neat to think there are people up there.

Thanks Goonie - ERD50

I saw it the first time like that too...that was cool!

And you're more than welcome, ERD!

Back
Top Bottom