Looks like this Forum's Index is screwed up.......

Re: Looks like this Forum's Index is screwed up...

Ayuh, I'm seeing the same thing...told me the investing subforum had a new post and it was july 20th, 2003...

We might be outgrowing this software. It is based on individual files for each message, not a data base. The originators of the software (who no longer provide or support it) recommended purging messages older than 30 days every once in a while, but I have not done that, for fear of losing too much info.

I've been tempted to create a new forum based on phpBB or similar, and keep what we have here as a read-only archive, but haven't done more than resist the temptation yet.

So does this mean you can't do anything about it without deleting old posts? Or going to new software? It is frustrating. BTW, Dory, thanks for this forum, I have learned a lot.

:confused:?New meaning to the phrase - overwhelmed by success?

Yeah, I notice glitches every now and then. Like if you look at my "last 10 posts" it looks like I haven't posted since May 2004. And lately it seems like some read threads are suddenly becoming unread.

It would be really great if we could migrate the whole thing to phpbb, but that's probably a pipe dream.

If I recall, this is a Windows-based server. You obvioulsy have Perl and supposedly have PHP and MySQL, but do you have any type of shell or remote-window access? Maybe us techie types can come up with some ideas.

EDIT: Yep, Netcraft says this is a Windows 2000 server running IIS 5.0.

Would be great if past posts were archived, a downloadable zip or FTP access or something . . . (For us dreamers with a ways to go it would keep us inspired.)

If posts are indeed purged, perhaps advance notice could be given?

cheers

A transfer would be pretty cool, and some tools do exist, but in reading experiences of this, its imperfect and a huge hassle.

Perhaps we create a new forum based on better software, while leaving the old one intact and read-only, putting lots of links to the new forum?

I dont know what the implications of that are, but if we can keep two going for a while, it would give members and Dory time to bring over whats important...FAQ's, etc.

Change the name of the old archive site to early-retirement-archive.org and the new one becomes early-retirement. If we could migrate user data that would be nice but I wouldnt mind re-registering...

No way! I've worked hard to graduate from dryer-sheet wannabe! ;)

Yeah, I notice glitches every now and then. Like if you look at my "last 10 posts" it looks like I haven't posted since May 2004. And lately it seems like some read threads are suddenly becoming unread.

It would be really great if we could migrate the whole thing to phpbb, but that's probably a pipe dream.

If I recall, this is a Windows-based server. You obvioulsy have Perl and supposedly have PHP and MySQL, but do you have any type of shell or remote-window access? Maybe us techie types can come up with some ideas.

EDIT: Yep, Netcraft says this is a Windows 2000 server running IIS 5.0.

No shell access on this server. If we switch to phpBB or similar, it will go onto a different server (Linux) where I have full access.

Great chance to clean up the way too many boards here - themes are over lapping very often - fewer boards would be my wish.

Thanks for the hard work dory! Cheers!

Jeez! I thought the glitches was just me
Geezer, don't you know? :)

Dory, this is a good point to extend mega-kudos for this site and all of your good work. I probably visit here
10 times my next fav. site (yeah, I know what y'all
are thinking but you would miss me if I was gone) :)

JG

Hmmm

Running windows XP and bellsouth DSL light - no glitches what so ever:confused:

Not a techie - sooo what does that mean?

I didn't know what y'all were talking about, but then this morning it started for me, too. Would exporting and removing posts older than, say, Jan 2004 delay the inevitable, or is it an issue with site traffic?

Just as long as we don't lose the Great Dryer Sheet debate.

Yikes, I hate the thought of deleting stuff.

Bill's idea of leaving the old archives as read-only may be the best answer.

Perhaps a progression something like this:

1: Set up phpBB (or other chosen software) board
2: Bill and/or volunteers attempt to migrate user/password database and maybe profile data to new board
3: Make new board primary and this software read-only.
4 a: Bill and/or volunteers attempt to migrate posts to new board
4 b: If failed, Bill and/or volunteers move read-only YaBB to new board server to avoid needing two domain names and/or two servers.

I read somewhere that PMs sometimes get associated with the wrong people in the transfer, so existing PMs will either have to be left on the old software or carefully migrated to make sure they don't go to the wrong people.

Aside from the difficult tasks of data migration I anticipate confusion with cookies and logins each time a board, IP or domain name is changed or moved. And of course there are the pains of everyone learning the new board software.

Bill, do you know the number of users, threads, posts and the size of the data store? If I don't get distracted by any bright, shiny objects I might make a mockup of this board and attempt a test migration.

Martha: We also don't want to lose the kayak info or food-headed animals.

Yup those animals with the peelings on their heads are my favorites! :D

Those can be regenerated. I even have a picture of me with a baby on my head. I could possibly put a pancake, or some french toast on his head, making it a multilevel thing.

In fact, I could have a picture of me with a baby on my head with a piece of french toast on his head, holding a picture of cut-throat holding a fish.

Nah, the universe as we know it would come to an end in an instant. ;)

I already volunteered to do some grunt work as long as it doesnt involve learning any new skills ;)

I still wouldnt mind a clean cut-over, a rewrite of the FAQ as a sort of wikipedia kind of thing, and keeping the old pile o' goodness as an archive.

I still wouldnt mind a clean cut-over, a rewrite of the FAQ as a sort of wikipedia kind of thing, and keeping the old pile o' goodness as an archive.
That does have several advantages:
- less things to screw up
- links from anywhere to existing messages still work
- smilies, tables and other codes don't get mucked up
- no worries about lost or misplaced PMs
- less work

Plus, the old stuff doesn't get bumped up often, so we're not losing much by not allowing new posts to old threads. Okay, I'm sold. Except it would be nice if we could migrate the username/password data.

I like the idea of a wiki FAQ, but the effect of the paradigm shift may be that the techie types will be the only ones to alter it. Not necessarily a problem since there are several helpful techie types around.

I wouldnt even mind re-registering if we cant get rid of 'dead' users.

Theres some dick named "Tom" that took the user name I wanted 2 years ago and never posted :'(

Yikes, I hate the thought of deleting stuff.

Bill's idea of leaving the old archives as read-only may be the best answer.

Perhaps a progression something like this:

1: Set up phpBB (or other chosen software) board
2: Bill and/or volunteers attempt to migrate user/password database and maybe profile data to new board
3: Make new board primary and this software read-only.
4 a: Bill and/or volunteers attempt to migrate posts to new board
4 b: If failed, Bill and/or volunteers move read-only YaBB to new board server to avoid needing two domain names and/or two servers.

I read somewhere that PMs sometimes get associated with the wrong people in the transfer, so existing PMs will either have to be left on the old software or carefully migrated to make sure they don't go to the wrong people.

Aside from the difficult tasks of data migration I anticipate confusion with cookies and logins each time a board, IP or domain name is changed or moved. And of course there are the pains of everyone learning the new board software.

Bill, do you know the number of users, threads, posts and the size of the data store? If I don't get distracted by any bright, shiny objects I might make a mockup of this board and attempt a test migration.

We have at this moment, 2666 separate threads, with a total of 42,957 posts -- each being a separate file on the server. That's probably the problem.

I'll start lookig at some phpbb stuff. If you are really eager, and there are no bright shiny objects nearby to distract either of us, I can set up a test site for you to do your testing.

I agree that we have grown into too many sections -- what should be a good new starting list of sections, if we do this?

1. Frequently asked questions
2. Investing (which would include calculators and swrs)
3. Our lives (consolidating costs, lifestyles, travel, young dreamers)
4. Coffee House (other yapping)

Dory36, if you mean testing for converting/migrating YaBB to phpBB I can test mockups at home, but if you want to set up a test site I can do it there instead. No difference to me. If we want to convert, I am more optimistic now that I see there are conversion tools. People seem to have trouble with them, but I'm pretty sharp techwise.

Boards:
  • Admin board (HELP! and News and Announcements)
  • Other Topics (includes You Gotta See This and Make Money Fast; perhaps messages can be marked with special smiley to indicate scam status)
  • Withdrawal Strategies and FIREcalc (SWR board, part of Calculator boad dealing with SWR calculators)
  • Retirement Expenses (Costs of Ret Life)
  • FIRE Lifestyles and Places to Live (Lifestyles in Ret)
  • Young Dreamers
  • Investing (includes non-SWR calculator topics)
  • FIRE Travel and Boating
That's a lot more than th suggested, but I like having career and 401(k)-type talk separated from the ER stuff, and SWR, RE expenses, lifestyles, investing and travel all seem to be good dividing points to me.

Notice I left out a FAQ board. It's good to have a FAQ, but our current informal FAQ tends to attract new, duplicate or not-so-frequently asked questions. Perhaps good FAQ threads can be stickied in the appropriate board or have a hall-of-fame link list for such threads. I would suggest volunteers maintain a FAQ, but given the common theme here is ending work I'm not sure we can plan for that ;) .

Hey guys - you 'know' we're gonna cross thread anyway - as well as jump on and off topic.

Make it as easy on yourselves as possible.

I definitely think a hall of fame board is appropriate. Newbies (like me) can get caught up quickly on subjects and not waste everybody's time rehashing well trod ground.

Back
Top Bottom