Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-13-2008, 08:28 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
How about the Canon Powershot SD 1100?
Martha, go to the store to see what feels the best for you... but I do carry the SD around in my shirt pocket many times. I wear size L, your mileage my vary.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2008, 01:59 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Canon Powershot SD1100 is closer to an inch thick and heavier than the Nikon S52. I carry the Canon in my car door pocket in a case i bought that is as small as i could get, but still too bulky. She carries her Nikon S52 in it's nice magnetic catch flap slim leather case (supplied) in her purse. It's picture quality is more than passable, and it is amazing to see an extended audio/video from it's little postage stamp memory chip. LiOn battery stays up plenty long and recharges fast in it's very portable little charger. Just saying.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:53 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I often use the camera when hiking. I do like being able to put it in my pocket, like my little sony dsc. However, I was not that happy with the sony's picture quality, but it may have been me. Plus, the sony is expensive.

Anyone have ultra compact cameras?

I am going to go in and check out Best Buy to see what the sizes feel like. The Canon's sound like excellent cameras.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:08 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I just recently bought the Cannon A590 IS . It takes good pictures and it simple to use but it is not really small which I did not care about since I mostly use it for my ebay selling . $149.00 at Amazon
I think the larger size won't bother me at all, since I am near-sighted and likely to lose one that would fit in my shirt pocket (or worse - - LAUNDER it! ). Anyway this one happened to be on sale for $129.99 with free shipping at circuitcity.com today. That was good enough for me, so I went ahead and ordered it, plus a 2GB card for an extra $14.99. Thanks again!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:32 AM   #25

Martha, the Nikon S52 that Calmloki mentioned received two in-depth user reviews over at dpreview as well: Nikon Coolpix S52 digital camera specifications: Digital Photography Review

When are you going shopping?
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am seriously bummed because I lost our nice little sony camera when we were in Door County Wisconsin. I am mostly bummed because it had a big storage card and it probably had 200 pictures on it that I had not yet downloaded.
Ah, the Internet is a wonderful thing sometimes. There are a number of sites that attempt to reunite cameras with their owners. This is one of them:

Found Cameras and Orphan Pictures

I am sure a google search on (say) lost +camera will find others.

Good luck. (As an amatuer photographer who takes thousands of pictures a year I really feel your pain.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Here is a review of the Canon A590: DCRP Review: Canon PowerShot A590 IS
Old 10-14-2008, 08:50 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

My A560 (same size) fits in my pocket easily.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:40 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

This was taken with a Canon PowerShot A560. Got a good deal on it just after Christmas. Fits in the pocket, takes two AA batteries; I use rechargeables, 4X Optical Zoom, 7.1 mega pixels. Love it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3064.jpg (785.3 KB, 11 views)
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Ah, the Internet is a wonderful thing sometimes. There are a number of sites that attempt to reunite cameras with their owners. This is one of them:

Found Cameras and Orphan Pictures

I am sure a google search on (say) lost +camera will find others.

Good luck. (As an amatuer photographer who takes thousands of pictures a year I really feel your pain.)
Wow, that is very cool.

I took a picture of my computer screen, with BOLD TEXT up there that reads:

Quote:
PLEASE RETURN TO

###-555-1234 < your phone # here
And then I stored that in the permanent part of the camera memory (built in) and set it to be the start up screen. It can't hurt. Well, as long as you don't have pictures you could be blackmailed with, and now you just gave them your home phone #

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #31

The SD 1100 looks much slimmer then the one I have...Mine is pretty small (heavy though) and easily slips into my purse so I usually have it for a moment when the kids are particularly cute!

Don't you take a small pack when hiking?
Old 10-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Here is a review of the Canon A590: DCRP Review: Canon PowerShot A590 IS
Thanks! Interesting review. Sounds like buying a memory card for it at the same time, was the right thing to do.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

I just received the Canon Powershot SD1100 IS. It's going to be my one year anniversary gift to my gf. My first impression holding it was that is was small and light. Can't speak of picture quality yet, though it is 8MP. Read good reviews about simplicity and battery life before buying. I believe there is an older version which may be bulkier.

Amazon was the best price I could find of 159.99.
hova22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

A long zoom is impressive at the store, but has limited practical use unless you have a kid who plays left field. Wide angle, equivalent to 28mm in the old 35mm film world is incredibly handy; experienced photographers will probably confirm this.

I recently bought a new Nikon Coolpix P50 for around $150. Wide angle to 28mm, a real viewfinder in addition to the LCD, AA batteries and a Nikon lens. Works as a point-and-shoot but offers options for more control. I highly recommend it.
alvarezg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

We've owned two Canon PowerShots. Our current one is the Canon SD 750 Powershot digital elph, 7.1 megapixels, bought at Costco a couple of years ago.

I love the fact that it's small, fits in my pocket (easily) and has (for me) intuitive controls.

I dislike the fact that it's got a model-specific battery (though battery life is long and charging is quick) and some lag time on the shutter.

In general, very glad we got it as a point-and-shoot, especially glad we got it given that we've got some great shots of our kids with it.

If I was going to get back to photography as a hobby, I'd pick something else, specifically for the lag time issue.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

I checked out a number of the cameras mentioned here, at Best Buy and Target. I ended up choosing the Canon Powershot SD1100 IS. This doesn't use the AA batteries, but has the lithium battery. Skipping the AAs made for a smaller size. It is bigger than my little Sony was, but much, much less expensive. I like the fact that it has a view finder and it is supposed to take good pictures even if you are a photography idiot.

Thanks all!

Old 10-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Martha, that sounds like the perfect camera for your requirements!

When I got home from work today, my new Canon Powershot A590 IS was waiting for me. It is exactly what I want, too, a little too big for your shirt pocket (though it does fit into the pocket of a men's t-shirt which I am wearing to do housework at the moment). It is large enough to suit me, and I am not worried about fumbling with tiny controls or losing it. I was able to take pictures and download them to my computer right away which is very pleasing.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

That was fast! I ordered mine from Amazon so I could have it pretty quick. Or not.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

We are on our 4th camera. Two Canons and two Olympus. Long story, but my wife dunk one in the ocean and left another one in a bookstore.

These things are so cheap now. In my view, the Canons cost a bit more and have better optics for better pictures at the same resolution (number of pixels). The Olympus I bought because they have motion-compensation, good for pictures taken in low light/slow shutter condition. Very nifty. They use MEMS gyros to sense camera motion, and shift the focal plane CCD to compensate. Canon may have this feature now. In addition, the Olympus is water resistant, meaning OK to take pictures in the rain. Some other Olympus models are truly waterproof, meaning you can take diving down to some depths that I do not remember. Some Pentax models are also water proof.

I do not like AA batteries although they are convenient to replace. Cameras with LI-Ion batteries are more compact. I bought after-market batteries on eBay, and have not one blowing up on me yet (knock on wood). I like small and lightweight because when trekking on Eurails, every ounce counts.

Things have changed so fast, that what experience people have 2-3 months ago was probably already outdated, mine included. The only thing I can be sure of is that Canon got better optics.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That was fast! I ordered mine from Amazon so I could have it pretty quick. Or not.
Yes, I was pleased! It wasn't supposed to get here until next week, since this was free shipping and USPS. Guess I lucked out.