Join Early Retirement Today

Lousy day... and I'm insensitive
Old 05-25-2011, 08:27 PM   #1

Lousy day... and I'm insensitive

Well, now when DW says "I feel like I got hit by a Mack truck" she has some credibility because she did.

Driving over to her Dad's to do some yard work yesterday a Honda ran a stop sign. DW saw it coming and slowed so she didn't hit the Honda, but the Honda got nailed by a Mack dump truck going in the opposite direction. The impact with that car caused the Mack truck to skid to his left and hit DW's car. The Honda Accord is probably totaled. This all happened at low speeds, from all descriptions the driver of the dump truck was exercising due caution going downhill toward the intersection and was going at most 25 mph.

The good things:

1. DW is not hurt other than some soreness, tomorrow she is seeing the doctor.
2. The Honda does in fact have insurance.
3. The insurance is with the same company we have, so this should not be an issue.

So we now have a Toyota Yaris as a rental until DW's car is either fixed or declared totaled. If it's only the fender and bumper we expect to get it back. If there is significant damage to drive train components (it's front-wheel drive) then it may be totaled. Dang, we did not want to be new-car shopping for about another 8 or 10 years!

The bad things:

1. While DW was trying to call me on the cell phone I was out enjoying the nice weather on the motorcycle so now she's sort-of mad at me for not answering. Her brother, who worked a 16-hour shift the night before, came to get her, but by then I was home, got the message, and could get over there to pick her up.

2. And another thing: DW's SIL was the first one to reach me and said "DW's been in a really bad accident". Now, because of my background, "really bad accident" means they had to cut the car apart to get you out, you are at best semiconscious, have multiple fractures, probable internal injuries, bleeding from the mouth and ears, and are being airlifted to shock-trauma. To SIL, "really bad accident" means you can't drive the car home. So me and SIL had a discussion about defining terms. DW and SIL think I'm insensitive.

3. Now DW doesn't want me riding a motorcycle. At all.

What a lousy day.

At least I did have the sense to suggest taking DW out for a steak dinner.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Walt, good to hear your DW wasn't seriously hurt. Sorry to hear you also suffered injuries but weren't even in the car...
Old 05-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

glad your dW wasn't injured severely....I think if you both have the same company, no deductible, however since DW wasn't at fault, no ded anyway.

Do you wear a helmet?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

So glad she is okay. I hope she's not too shook up.

Let us know how you like the Yaris . And the mini phone you're going to have surgically installed in your ear drum for motorcycle riding.

"She was in a really bad accident" had to be terrible for you to hear.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Thank goodness she wasn't hurt!

Don't worry about the rest... it will all work out after a while and thank goodness she is still in one piece. Good move with the steak dinner.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OMG. "A really bad accident" would have had me thinking the worst. Anything less than near death and I would much more expect to hear "there's been an accident, but DW is okay" followed by whatever details and injuries are relevant.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #7

Glad to hear that she is okay.

Sorry it has been such a bad day. Your wife is fearful for you to ride your motorcycle, because she saw firsthand how quickly one can get in an accident, without it being their fault. I am sure that you already knew that from your years on the job. Stay safe and tomorrow should be a better day!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes Walt, I am really glad it seems to be OK. I'm with you, you are not insenstive, you just don't want to have an unnecesary heart attack.

Ha
Old 05-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

How scary ! Glad DW is okay !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Yes, Walt y’all did have a lousy day. I sure am glad your DW is ok…I know that is a relief to you.

Now here are a few thoughts from a woman that has a motorcycle ridin' DH and mmm, hmmm…never hears or checks the cell.

I imagine at some point she has thought about the accident and could see you getting creamed by a dump truck. This would be reason enough for her to not want you to ride your bike anymore. But I believe the real reason is because she could not get in touch with you. You were the one she wanted by her side in her time of dilemma…no one else…she wanted you.

You happened to be riding the bike and didn’t answer your cell. She has put the blame on the bike.

Are you insensitive?...nah…you’re just a man.

I believe with a little time your DW will come around and you’ll be enjoying your bike once again.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Walt, glad the DW is OK. Car/truck accidents can leave a mess as you know quite well. "Bad Accident" means the same to me as you...entrapment, serious bodily injury, Med-Evac or high speed ambulance trip to Trauma Center.

My BIL has a bike and says he always uses a Bluetooth with is cell phone to be sure to receive calls from DW while out for a ride. It has saved his bike bacon more times than he can remember. Women just don't get being out of communication.

Hope all resolves itself to your benefit and DW is truly fine. Let the bike discussion cool for a while and investigate alternative communication devices so you can keep your freedom bike.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Glad DW is OK. Then I can chuckle at the Mack Truck line.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:46 AM   #13
Administrator

Sorry to hear about the accident Walt, but I'm very pleased to hear that your DW wasn't hurt.

If she is now objecting to you riding your bike because she thinks that being hit by a Mack truck on a bike, even at slow speeds is really bad news then you may have a tough time persuading her otherwise. If it is because because she couldn't contact you then you can get a blue tooth set up as suggested above, and convince her to let you out on the bike again.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:17 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Sorry that happened Walt... good to hear she did not get seriously hurt.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:45 AM   #15

Walt, I am glad DW emerged relatively unscathed. I think SIL should have worded things differently so that you knew right off that DW was okay.
I second or third the suggestion on getting a Bluetooth.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:00 AM   #16

"While DW was trying to call me on the cell phone I was out enjoying the nice weather on the motorcycle so now she's sort-of mad at me for not answering."

Are you married to my wife? I don't own a motorcycle, but she gets mad at me if she can't reach me when I'm out running. Glad she's OK, and kudos to you for the brilliant "let's go out to dinner" tactic.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
DW and SIL think I'm insensitive.

3. Now DW doesn't want me riding a motorcycle. At all.

BUT
2. The Honda does in fact have insurance.
3. The insurance is with the same company we have, so this should not be an issue.

All's well that ends well.

Don't even mention the bike for a while. Then take it back up like there was never an issue.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:10 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

To be honest, I stopped paying attention after seeing your DW is OK. You should too. The rest is noise.

So what kind of tank will your DW want to replace the Accord with?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The good things:

Thank goodness she's OK.

Quote:
The bad things:

1. While DW was trying to call me on the cell phone I was out enjoying the nice weather on the motorcycle so now she's sort-of mad at me for not answering. Her brother, who worked a 16-hour shift the night before, came to get her, but by then I was home, got the message, and could get over there to pick her up.

2. And another thing: DW's SIL was the first one to reach me and said "DW's been in a really bad accident". Now, because of my background, "really bad accident" means they had to cut the car apart to get you out, you are at best semiconscious, have multiple fractures, probable internal injuries, bleeding from the mouth and ears, and are being airlifted to shock-trauma. To SIL, "really bad accident" means you can't drive the car home. So me and SIL had a discussion about defining terms. DW and SIL think I'm insensitive.

3. Now DW doesn't want me riding a motorcycle. At all..
1. Second the bluetooth idea.

2. IMO, this shows your are sensitive. Hearing "really bad accident" had you worried sick about her. Better message would have been "She's OK, but has been in an accident". In situations like this, people should always start out by saying the loved one is OK before delivering the bad news.

3. Can't say I blame her. Motorcycles are dangerous. I suspect she's been uncomfortable with your motorcycle riding for some time now. The accident reinforced her fears and provided an opportunity to express her discomfort.

Quote:
That was very thoughtful. You're a keeper
Old 05-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #20
Administrator

Walt, you're not insensitive, your DW is fortunate, your SIL is easily excited, you'll not have to give up your motorcycle, and after all that, you even got a steak for dinner. Sucks about the car, though.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote