Join Early Retirement Today

Love Paris?
Old 06-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Love Paris?

Watch this movie. Saw it today with my mom. We loved it. 4 stars. Best thing he's done since Annie Hall, IMHO.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I am looking forward to seeing this movie - I am afraid what you posted is a spoiler, so I didn't view it.

But I already know that I think Paris is one of the most beautiful and greatest cities in the world.
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I am glad you liked it . I watched the trailer and it looked good but I was leery as Woody hasn't done a lot of good movies in many years.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
In September, we spend a month in France including 10 days in Paris. We have rented a 2 BR condo in Marais with another couple. After touring wine country, we reconnect in another condo in Nice for the last week.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's not playing anywhere in my state until 6/17 and then it's 40 miles away. But it sounds like it might be a nice adventure to go see it. The theater is across the street from our old high school back home.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

It comes to my town on 6/24. Usually I don't feel like I live in the boonies....

My DD and I spent 2 weeks in Paris last year, I treated her to her first trip and we had a spectacular time. Rented an apartment on Ile St.Louis, ate, drank, shopped, wandered through museums. A nice respite from the boonies!
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
gone traveling

In the late '90's, I was based in the US, but wo*ked for a company that was owned by the French.

I had a French boss, and I had a small staff - both based in the U.S. and in France (Lyon). That meant that my boss (and me) would travel "over there" - to each other's country, every 2-3 weeks or so.

Being that I spent every 4th-6th week in France, I got to know a lot about the culture, but more importantly the people.

DW/me have traveled to Paris (home of our corporate HQ) many times. We enjoy our time there.

While working, and a few trips with DW to my "French home" of Lyon, DW found out a few things.

In Paris (Pari - drop the "S", only C, R,F,L are spoken - be "careful" in what you speak) is easier to get around in for someone from the US who only has English as their only language - since it is a "tourist town", once you get out of the area, you should know a bit of the language (or as in my case, "tourist French" - I can order from a menu and give instructions to a taxi driver, but I cannot readily converse in the language).

As an example, DW and I had been to Paris (at least three times) and planned to travel to Lyon and Chamonix (Mt. Blanc), I made her aware that she would need to learn a bit of French to be able to get along with the "natives".

This was apparent when we arrived in Lyon, and she went to the local tourist office to see what kinds of tours they offered. Of course, none spoke any English (or would admit to doing so). She returned to the hotel (where I was napping) to tell of her woes. I went with her to the same office, and was able to arrange for a few tours (although I'm sure the ladies in the office had a good laugh at my attempts to speak, after I left).

On the way to Chamonix (via train), our train was interrupted quite rapidly, followed by an announcement (in French of course), followed by everybody - other than us, vacating the train. As I told my DW before the trip, "if you get into trouble with the language, look to somebody under the age of 25". She remembered my "message" and spoke to a young woman who told her of the train breaking down, and we needed to transfer to another unit.

Upon leaving Chamonix, we were standing in the train station (on our way back to Lyon, and then to Paris) where she approached a woman (slightly older than us) and attempted to speak in English. The women simply responded (in French) that she did not speak English. When my wife simply responded (in French) that she was American, but spoke no French, but asked if the woman knew any English, the woman immediately started to converse with her - in English (the French want you to at least try - those that can speak English will appreciate the effort, as long as you attempt to speak the language - however badly).

Since I (and DW) have spent a bit of time in France, we can certainly admire what Paris has to offer. However, Lyon does have a bit of an advantage on the "culinary front" (and is acknowledged as such).

For us? I would rate Paris as a great "starter venue" for those who have not yet traveled in France. However, the country has much more to offer (for those that are willing to stretch their imagination) in other areas.

Just my simple POV of the question from the OP.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Upon leaving Chamonix, we were standing in the train station (on our way back to Lyon, and then to Paris) where she approached a woman (slightly older than us) and attempted to speak in English. The women simply responded (in French) that she did not speak English. When my wife simply responded (in French) that she was American, but spoke no French, but asked if the woman knew any English, the woman immediately started to converse with her - in English (the French want you to at least try - those that can speak English will appreciate the effort, as long as you attempt to speak the language - however badly).
I had a colleague from the UK who had no French, but had grown up in South America. He told me that anywhere in France, asking "Do you speak English?" - even as "Parlez-vous anglais?" - got him nowhere. Asking "Se Habla Espaņol?" usually got "No, but ah speek a leedle Eenglish" and all was well.

Similar considerations used to apply in Greece in the 1970s and 1980s. The foreign language which more Greeks, especially older ones, were likely to understand than any other was German, but my Dutch colleagues quickly learned to ask "I'm from Holland, do you speak English?" first and only go to "Sprechen Sie Deutsch?" second.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
In the late '90's, I was based in the US, but wo*ked for a company that was owned by the French.

I had a French boss, and I had a small staff - both based in the U.S. and in France (Lyon). That meant that my boss (and me) would travel "over there" - to each other's country, every 2-3 weeks or so.

Being that I spent every 4th-6th week in France, I got to know a lot about the culture, but more importantly the people.

DW/me have traveled to Paris (home of our corporate HQ) many times. We enjoy our time there.

While working, and a few trips with DW to my "French home" of Lyon, DW found out a few things.

In Paris (Pari - drop the "S", only C, R,F,L are spoken - be "careful" in what you speak) is easier to get around in for someone from the US who only has English as their only language - since it is a "tourist town", once you get out of the area, you should know a bit of the language (or as in my case, "tourist French" - I can order from a menu and give instructions to a taxi driver, but I cannot readily converse in the language).

As an example, DW and I had been to Paris (at least three times) and planned to travel to Lyon and Chamonix (Mt. Blanc), I made her aware that she would need to learn a bit of French to be able to get along with the "natives".

This was apparent when we arrived in Lyon, and she went to the local tourist office to see what kinds of tours they offered. Of course, none spoke any English (or would admit to doing so). She returned to the hotel (where I was napping) to tell of her woes. I went with her to the same office, and was able to arrange for a few tours (although I'm sure the ladies in the office had a good laugh at my attempts to speak, after I left).

On the way to Chamonix (via train), our train was interrupted quite rapidly, followed by an announcement (in French of course), followed by everybody - other than us, vacating the train. As I told my DW before the trip, "if you get into trouble with the language, look to somebody under the age of 25". She remembered my "message" and spoke to a young woman who told her of the train breaking down, and we needed to transfer to another unit.

Since I (and DW) have spent a bit of time in France, we can certainly admire what Paris has to offer. However, Lyon does have a bit of an advantage on the "culinary front" (and is acknowledged as such).

For us? I would rate Paris as a great "starter venue" for those who have not yet traveled in France. However, the country has much more to offer (for those that are willing to stretch their imagination) in other areas.

Just my simple POV of the question from the OP.
Paris is nice, but Lyon is "it" for me. I lived there for 5 years, and I don't think my heart ever left.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote