Low On Bacon

you can make your own bacon. It is easier than you think

Very true. One of the things I like about Costco is they usually have a nice selection of pork bellies. It really is easy, and I can cut it as thick as I like.

Fake news,you can make your own bacon. It is easier than you think and you can make whatever flavor you want. I've been doing it for years. A smoker helps but not required.
I usually make about 20# the day after Thanksgiving. Bacon and leftover turkey sandwiches with my latest vintage Chardonnay. We are truly thankful for 2 feasts, back to back.

Very true. One of the things I like about Costco is they usually have a nice selection of pork bellies. It really is easy, and I can cut it as thick as I like.

OK, got some links to methods you like?

I'd want to start small, Costco has large slices ( 15-20# ?), but I can get 5 # or so at the Polish store near us.

mmmmm - bacon

-ERD50

I haven't noticed any shortage of bacon at the store.

But this thread has inspired me and I'm gonna have a BLT for supper. With a half pound (before cooking) of bacon in it - :)

Half pound of bacon is ~,920 calories, 87 grams of fat, 30 grams of saturated fat, 1500 milligrams of sodium and delicious.:)

OK, got some links to methods you like?

I'd want to start small, Costco has large slices ( 15-20# ?), but I can get 5 # or so at the Polish store near us.

mmmmm - bacon

-ERD50

Here's a corny video but accurate.

I have used apple, plum and cherry from my fruit tree trimmings, pecan and oak from the Home Depot. I had a pickup truck full of hickory branches from an employee of mine. He had 9 trees fall down during a storm and he asked me if I needed some hickory, he knew I BBQed/smoked ribs, bacon and hams. He filled my pickup up, it took me over a week to make hickory slices.:dance:

Here's a corny video but accurate.

I have used apple, plum and cherry from my fruit tree trimmings, pecan and oak from the Home Depot. I had a pickup truck full of hickory branches from an employee of mine. He had 9 trees fall down during a storm and he asked me if I needed some hickory, he knew I BBQed/smoked ribs, bacon and hams. He filled my pickup up, it took me over a week to make hickory slices.:dance:

Thanks, I bookmarked it. I like that he's doing a smaller amount, that's what I want to do at least until I work out my process. It looks consistent with a couple other videos I watched, that's often a good sign. I've got plenty of applewood (one large crabapple tree provides plenty from annual trimming), and some cherry for smoking. I'd probably do a light smoke, DW doesn't like heavy smoke. But then I like bacon more than she does!

-ERD50

When seasoning, I always use the real deal... such as real maple syrup instead of imitation. YMMV

Imitation maple syrup does not cross our threshold, unless by accident (gotta check those labels!). It's actually not sooooo bad, but we don't use a lot, might as well get the real thing, it is better tasting (I like the 'lower' darker grades, much more flavor). BTW, they still say 'maple flavored' on the label - it comes from an extract of the herb 'fenugreek', so is considered 'natural'.

Is there a lower limit to the sugar content for bacon? I prefer a less sweet bacon, but you need some for browning I guess. Too little, and the taste is maybe more like a blander ham?

-ERD50

I can't say anything about the sweetness perception, but can speak about the saltiness. Some salt is absorbed through the meat cells as they try to equalize; but the surface salt is rinsed away after curing. I feel the meat/fat percentages affect the saltiness more; I have been very pleased with my bacon's saltiness, it has never been over the top.

If you do a couple of 3# lots, do some experiments with rinsing to see what suits your fancy. If not to your liking, you can blend the final product or use it in cooking. There is no such thing as bad bacon. (Although dry cured bacon is too salty for me and I have used it in split pea soup, clam chowder and baked beans when I have received it as a gift.)

A neighbor makes homemade bacon and takes orders from the neighbors. We tried it once, but it waaaaas way too sweet!!! And of course burned easily because of the excess of sugar.

I'll stick with HEB thick cut jalapeño flavored bacon.

Anyone remember the Bacon Flowchart thread ? Searched but could not find it.

Anyone remember the Bacon Flowchart thread ? Searched but could not find it.

This is the predominant one on Google. There are others. Is this what you meant?

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F04%2Fbacon-flowchart-610.png

Can you say "pork belly" out loud and not giggle?

Makin bacon. Shown below a seven pound pork belly from our farm. Actually half of the belly. What does one do with a pork belly:confused:

MMM! BACON!!!! :dance:

25yu9dt.png

Back
Top Bottom