Low On Bacon

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I didn't know there actually is a nation's bacon reserve. If we run out of bacon, the world is doomed :(:

The country's bacon reserves are at the lowest levels in half a century.
In other words, pig farmers can't keep up with the world's sizzling appetite for those fatty, smoky strips of sheer eating pleasure.

The Ohio Pork Council, a Columbus-based non-profit, reported Tuesday that demand for frozen pork belly, frequently made into bacon, is outpacing supply.

Nation's bacon reserves hit 50-year low as prices rise | WTSP.com

We're low on bacon, chocolate production is having issues, so is coffee.

The horror....the horror....

Next it will be TP.

Geeze, ES, you sure know how to ruin a guy's day. :nonono:

OTOH, thanks for the warning. I'll stock the freezer soon.;)

We're low on bacon, chocolate production is having issues, so is coffee.

The horror....the horror....

Good news on coffee production. Apparently, they are having great success breeding new coffee trees that grown in climates previously thought not very good for the trees. How the coffee tastes is another matter. I hope they don't do to coffee what they did to the tomato.

I thought this post was going to be about what I perceived as a lack of bacon on the forums over the past few weeks.
Not that anything got out of hand, and I did see some bacon, but there were a few times I could see the sizzle and smell the bacon coming, only to be wrong..
Overall, I have to say the populace has been good and well behaved.

I'm just making an observation, not desiring to start up the 4th Reich.

I eat bacon very rarely. That is, except on my annual cruise. I simply cannot resist, seeing all that bacon at the breakfast buffet. Fortunately, since DW is a teacher we only cruise Christmas week, so hopefully in 11 months this crisis will be averted.

I was just getting the pan and fry some think cut bacon in, and it's all gone! What a day

I thought this post was going to be about what I perceived as a lack of bacon on the forums over the past few weeks.
Not that anything got out of hand, and I did see some bacon, but there were a few times I could see the sizzle and smell the bacon coming, only to be wrong..

I'm just making an observation, not desiring to start up the 4th Reich.

+1

I was afraid I was the only one whose initial reaction was this. :baconflag:

f345c2efc545451f1998b814d931dbee.jpg

I'd switch to pastrami. ;) Actually, I'd like to try to make some in the future, it's supposed to be real easy, just like pepperoni.

_B

Good news on coffee production. Apparently, they are having great success breeding new coffee trees that grown in climates previously thought not very good for the trees. How the coffee tastes is another matter. I hope they don't do to coffee what they did to the tomato.

I noticed store-bought tomatoes tasted like nothing. Although with as much creamer and sugar and whipped cream and syrup and variations of milk and whatever people put in their coffee, who's going to notice how the coffee itself tastes anyway? :LOL:

I noticed today the store brand of bacon was BOGO. Of course, it's paper thin, nearly as thin as that great impostor turkey bacon.

Always have a backup plan. SPAM!

I'd switch to pastrami. ;) Actually, I'd like to try to make some in the future, it's supposed to be real easy, just like pepperoni.

_B

I've tried several times and failed at duplicating anything near a good pastrami like from the kosher deli. Good Luck.

As a "sort-of" vegetarian (I eat fish and dairy products), I'm feeling pretty smug right now :D

Just make a political post, and Porky will show up faster than you can say "bacon".

I often see bacon on sale for $2.50 and $2.99 a pound around here, so yeah, keep that bacon shortage coming! :)

I can explain. Every time I start to get riled up, instead of warnings and threats, the mods have been FedEx-ing me actual, physical bacon instead. It's been working. It may also explain this bacon shortage.

I noticed store-bought tomatoes tasted like nothing. ...

... I hope they don't do to coffee what they did to the tomato.

I'm going to disagree with some of that. I think out of season tomatoes are far, far superior to what we used to get out of season. I remember that buying a tomato in February was just a matter of wanting a decoration on your plate. It had no flavor, and poor texture, and barely any color.

But today, we can get tomatoes like the "Campari" brand, that are good (not great, but good), all year round.

Are they as good as home or local-farm-grown - absolutely not. And the commercially available in season tomatoes are not as good as home or local-farm-grown, either. The commercial types have been bred for shipping, appearance, disease resistance, and other qualities over taste. With home grown, you can chose a variety bred for flavor over everything else.

I like that we have a choice.

-ERD50

I haven't noticed any shortage of bacon at the store.

But this thread has inspired me and I'm gonna have a BLT for supper. With a half pound (before cooking) of bacon in it - :)

Probably due to this thread, while I was out to pick up a few things for dinner, I stopped by the local Polish store/deli. Got some bacon, a couple potato pancakes, and a few Polish beers, plus a 4 pack of Pilsner Urquell.

Tomorrow's breakfast: bacon, potato pancake and an egg. Hmmmm. I dunno, should I have a beer with that?

-ERD50

Fake news,you can make your own bacon. It is easier than you think and you can make whatever flavor you want. I've been doing it for years. A smoker helps but not required.
I usually make about 20# the day after Thanksgiving. Bacon and leftover turkey sandwiches with my latest vintage Chardonnay. We are truly thankful for 2 feasts, back to back.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom