Join Early Retirement Today

Lower price finder, extension
Old 02-07-2022, 03:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lower price finder, extension

Has anyone used CapitalOne Shopping"
When online shopping it sees your basket and automatically checks for lower prices and notifies you of such.
It is a browser extension. I will say it seem very intrusive, but many online services are.
"Shop at Target, Best Buy, Home Depot, Adidas or anywhere else? When you checkout, Capital One Shopping will instantly find working coupon codes and discounts and apply them to your order.

Ever shop on Amazon? Capital One Shopping automatically checks other sellers for a better price, including sales tax + shipping. A notification will appear in seconds if a better offer is found."

https://tinyurl.com/yc8wnrhr

Or the full URL.

https://capitaloneshopping.com/blog/...259&utm_subid=
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2022, 04:06 PM   #2

I use the CapitalOne Shopping browser extension all the time, but IMHO it has fairly limited usefulness. The thing I find the most useful about it is that it automatically tries various coupon/discount/promo codes at checkout time when you're about to purchase something. I have saved hundreds of dollars this way. I haven't found its comparison shopping/price-checking feature to be terribly helpful or accurate.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 06:53 PM   #3

I use it because it makes comparing easy. If I'm ordering something on Amazon it will sometimes find the same thing for me, new, with free shipping, on ebay for less. I probably wouldn't have looked on ebay for the same item.

I also like the coupon trying function. Saves me time and every so often one of the attempted coupon codes works.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:14 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

https://shopping.google.com/ is also useful
Winston Churchill (?)
TexasPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:24 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I've hesitated to use those type of tools, as to work it probably has to read information from your browser, and I wonder how much information it reads and sends back when banking or looking at a brokerage account ?
Old 02-08-2022, 08:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I've hesitated to use those type of tools, as to work it probably has to read information from your browser, and I wonder how much information it reads and sends back when banking or looking at a brokerage account ?
I, too, have worried about this, but the truth is that 99% of all browser extensions require the user to give them permissions to read all the data on any page you visit. At some point, you just have to trust (and verify, via privacy policies, etc.) that these companies are keeping your data private and safe. Heck, Google itself could easily be recording every single thing you see in your Chrome browser, nevermind all the extensions you might be using!

One other thought if you want to be uber-security/privacy conscious. Most extensions have a setting whereby you can disable the extension on certain websites/domains. You could configure your extensions to be inactive on your banking and brokerage sites.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote