Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-15-2015, 04:01 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We travel business class to Europe and we often go out for fine dining.
I guess I should modify my "no luxury items" answer based on this. I didn't think of it because it's not "stuff" as in the thread title, but business class travel for very long haul flights definitely counts as the height of luxury for me.

When I went to Germany in July, it was the first time I ever used one of the seats that turns into a flat bed, and it was incredible. I slept soundly the whole way over, and arrived feeling perfectly fine. Definitely a luxury and one I'll repeat on all future long haul flights.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I bet it'll be tough to sell those hotels.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Ron, I was thinking a little less literally, as in "can't do without"
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:47 PM   #43

Our choice to live on the water is very expensive. Cost of house/lot is double what it would be if we were not on the water. Also pay flood insurance which is like paying home owners x 2. Is the used 2007 waverunner a luxury? Maybe. Got it for 4K 3 years ago. Use it about 10-15 times per summer. Prob keep it for 2-3 more years before upgrading. Gotta have toys for the frequent visitors.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:33 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hard to give up the Cadillac cellphone plan ($300/mo for 4 smartphones and 4 iPads) while I'm still making decent money. Don't have cable TV which kinda offsets the cost partially. It's the first thing to go in case I need to cut costs, though.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:48 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Ron, I was thinking a little less literally, as in "can't do without"
Ah - that's good. Getting rid of stuff can be a problem, but getting rid of hotels would be a real PITA.

I'm just trying to get rid of a gas powered generator, and a front end loader bucket for my atv. Not really "luxury stuff", but stuff that I don't use that takes up too much space.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:38 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

After losing a home and most of our belongings in 2008, our outlook had changed. A luxury was a roof over our head and a quiet generator, then a place with hot running water, AND utility fed electricity. Then insulation, drywall, then again, a furnace with air conditioning! Later yet, luxury was a kitchen, later yet, hardwood floors. We sold that house. Our splurge is a house with a high overlook view. If we flood now, our entire state is under water, literally.

After much adaptive resetting of our luxury, it is now a high end stove. DW longed for it but decided that it too costly. It had two separate ranges, both with broilers, and six burners. Family get togethers would be much easier to cook for. Turkey and ham at the same time! NY and deep dish pizza at the same time! It didn't take too much arm twisting to convince her that an appliance that is every day is an extravagance that is cheaper when factored in cost per use. It is worth the splurge.

Our four year old grandaughter was over, and when leaving, said in a wistful, sad voice that they didn't have any blueberries at her house. Guess who went home with blueberries. I'm beginning to see a trend.

It's DW.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #47

Yep, still have big-name cell and cable plans, which are normally maligned here. Funny thing is that the rest of the world, I mean, the USA, considers this stuff as NECESSARY!

I love to eat out, especially ethnic food like Indian and Thai. Actually, the hidden cost here is that this type of dining is more common and the options far tastier in expensive urban areas. It's one of the reasons it would be difficult for us to move to the "middle of nowhere" for a low COL. So living in a high COL area, at least for the midwest, is our biggest luxury item.

On the other hand, I've lost the fascination with extensive travel and big toys (read boats & RV's) since ER 6 months ago. This stuff seemed to be too much w*rk and $$$ to deal with. :-)
FreeBear is offline   Reply With Quote