MADD - Why no Outrage against Cell Phones??

Since I came on pretty strong further upthread about my bias against people talking on cell phones while driving, I will clarify that my opinion is based on 2 facts (to me):

1. I ran my one and only red light in my entire driving career in 1985 while talking on my mobile phone in my company car in Oklahoma City. I could have easily been killed or killed someone else. That incident cured me forever.

2. It is easy to spot who are on cellphones in moving traffic. Time and time again, I have correctly pegged the idiot in front of me wandering, going too slow for traffic, slow responses to acceleration and braking, etc.

I am sure that may also occur with those fiddling with the sound system or lighting a cigarette, putting on makeup, reading the newspaper, eating a donut and drinking hot coffee... but those are relatively insignificant in numbers compared to the large numbers of people now on cell phones. You have to regulate when things start to get out of hand.

AltaRed said:
Since I came on pretty strong further upthread about my bias against people talking on cell phones while driving, I will clarify that my opinion is based on 2 facts (to me):

1. I ran my one and only red light in my entire driving career in 1985 while talking on my mobile phone in my company car in Oklahoma City. I could have easily been killed or killed someone else. That incident cured me forever.

2.  It is easy to spot who are on cellphones in moving traffic. Time and time again, I have correctly pegged the idiot in front of me wandering, going too slow for traffic, slow responses to acceleration and braking, etc. 

I am sure that may also occur with those fiddling with the sound system or lighting a cigarette, putting on makeup, reading the newspaper, eating a donut and drinking hot coffee... but those are relatively insignificant in numbers compared to the large numbers of people now on cell phones.  You have to regulate when things start to get out of hand.

I think you were overly impacted by your "near miss". Your last sentence
is nonsense. Who's to say when things get "out of hand"?
Everyone has a different position. Let's debate, not regulate.

JG

((^+^)) SG said:
Does anyone really ever have a conversation with *****?   ;)

On the surface, it appears similar to a conversation.  You address things he says.  He says more things -- a lot more things.  You point out that he hasn't addressed your questions.  He says more things.  He says still more things.  He rants. . .  But it's not really a conversation, is it?   ;)

Hey man. You are missing the point. It does not matter (to me) what you think. It only matters what I think. Ain't it cool? :)

I have not decided if I will respond to the McCarthy/Hitler question.
Stay tuned for further developments.

JG

MRGALT2U said:
I have not decided if I will respond to the McCarthy/Hitler question.
Stay tuned for further developments.

JG

The last time you said something like this, you took a two week holiday from posting on the board. Can we expect something similar this time? ;)

Leaving aside the legal aspect of this topic...

As a matter of personal responsibility, one should pay attention when driving. If you're too drunk, too stoned, too pissed off, too involved in a conversation, or too stupid to drive reasonably, then stay the frick off the road... :eek:

Is it too much to ask that you drive with the flow of traffic, signal your intentions, plan for exits by getting in the proper lane, etc? :confused:

Bad manners!! :(

the way i figure it if 47% of all accidents involve either cell phone use or drinking, than has anyone noticed its safer to drive on your cell phone or drunk than it is sober?

Is it too much to ask that you drive with the flow of traffic, signal your intentions, plan for exits by getting in the proper lane, etc?

In the Middle East? Yes! Just ask Dory... :)

Back
Top Bottom