Join Early Retirement Today

MADD - Why no Outrage against Cell Phones??
Old 11-21-2005, 04:18 PM   #1

MADD - Why no Outrage against Cell Phones??

There have been various studies showing that cell phones are much more dangerous than Driving under the influence. I am amazed that groups such as MADD are showing no outrage against Cell Phones.

Do they just hate drinking or irresponsible driving?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: MADD - Why no Outrage against Cell Phones??
Old 11-21-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Back around 1994-1995, I called my local Highway Patrol, police department, and my insurance agent to ask if anyone was tracking the number of accidents in which cell phones were involved. At the time, no one was.

Since then, of course, that's changed. I also recall reading about a study that said that while cell phones tended to cause more accidents when they were first introduced, that trend has dropped off in more recent years, presumably as people get better at driving while talking. Darned if I can find that article now, though.

As to why people aren't protesting it, my WAG would be that there hasn't been a specific accident that garnered enough attention to spark a protest.
peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:11 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Simple: MADD is really an organization of prohibitionists. They don't fundamentally give a cr@p about drunk driving.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:46 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe because MADD is comprised of soccer moms who need to use their cell phones while driving?

Seriously. States should prohibit the use of a cell phone while driving unless the driver uses a hands-free kit. Washington, D.C. has such a law, and I've noticed an improvement while driving in the city.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:59 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is one of my pet peeves, too. The other day I saw a woman driving, talking on the cell phone and smoking a cigarette at the same time. And this is in downtown Baltimore, in city traffic.

CJ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:00 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

There should be a law against the use of cell phones while driving. I'm sure people that use them while traveling on the job would disagree but it simply adds another distraction while in traffic. I have one in the car but it is for security purposes only.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:18 AM   #7

I finally broke down and bought a cell phone.* Whenever I get a call while driving, I pull over ASAP.* I just don't know how people drive and talk.* It is not the same as listening to the car radio.* I would certainly have an accident.*

MADD hates booze.* And the lawyers love drinking limits, it's a gold mine.

I stand a better chance of drinking and driving successfully (I've done it) than driving and phoning. I guess when I have dinner at some restaurant with two glasses of wine, I'm legally over the limit. I believe the cops could stop every car after midnight on weekends in any major city and 75% would fail the sobriety test; most, however get home without a catastrophe.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:30 AM   #8

In some cases, people on the cell phone might even be WORSE than drunk drivers! Often a drunk knows that he/she is drunk and shouldn't be driving, so as a result is paranoid and will try harder to pay attention to their driving. Now of course, the ones that are totally plastered will probably go wrap their cars around something, but i'm talking about the ones that are borderline.

However, people on the cell phone tend to tune out their surroundings and concentrate on the converstation. Also, this is only my opinion, but I think that the younger generations, which have always known about cell phones, will adapt to driving better, simply because as they learn to drive, yakking on the cell phone is already a part of their lives, so they're just better at multitasking. With older people, who learned how to drive and concentrate on the road years ago, the cell phone becomes more of a distraction. In my case, I started driving in 1986, and didn't get a cell phone until 1999. To this day, it's hard for me to talk on the cell while driving, so I try my best to keep it to a minimum.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:41 AM   #9

It's been outlawed in NY for about 4 years now.

Still see plenty of folks chatting away though.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:52 AM   #10

Any distraction interferes with driving ability. Smoking, drinking (being drunk, and the simple act of putting a cup or straw to your lips), talking to others in the car, talking on the phone, messing with the CD player or changing CDs, applying makeup, shaving, reading. Some impact perception and reaction time more than others. Frequency and duration of the distraction also impacts the degree of driving impairment. I dislike cell phone drivers too, but there are plenty of other distractions that could be outlawed, were we to live in a draconian society. Most or all states have reckless driving statutes that prohibit reckless driving (including swerving, irregular braking/acceleration, traffic violations). I don't know if an additional law banning cell phone use is necessary or if it would change behaviors or reduce the frequency or severity of collisions.

FYI, I don't own a cellphone.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:32 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

DAMM - Drunks Against Mad Mothers

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:47 AM   #12

When we were kids in the 60's, they started doing the "don't drink and drive" public service announcements. We were mortified because my mom never went anywhere without taking along her iced tea. We didn't know that the "don't drink" part referred to alcohol.

CJ
Old 11-22-2005, 10:34 AM   #13

I keep cell phone use to the bare minimum while driving also. I have heard that tired drivers are just as bad as drunk drivers. Too many people falling asleep at the wheel. I agree that there are many, many distractions while driving. My niece was just changing the radio station and just looked away for a second. She totalled her vehicle, did not hurt anyone else or herself either. She was very lucky. My brother who pays her car insurance is not so lucky, as this was her second wreck!

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
Seriously.* States should prohibit the use of a cell phone while driving unless the driver uses a hands-free kit.* Washington, D.C. has such a law, and I've noticed an improvement while driving in the city.
I had a hands free phone in a car about 10 years ago. The hands are free, but the mind is not. Hands free is NO solution. I personally had some experiences that made me voe never to engage in a conversation on the phone while driving.

Conversations with passengers are much safer, because the passenger is also aware if someone pulls out in front of you etc. - They stop talking immediately - They know what happended!

The radio is different, because the mind can unhook immediately when encountering a situation in driving needs full attention. Not so with a Hands free phone. - The other person on the phone is saying "are you there" "Did you hear me" etc. - The mind cannot completely unhook from a conversation.

This has been proven in various studies.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:46 AM   #15

CJ, maybe it was a Long Island Iced Tea?
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:53 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
CJ, maybe it was a Long Island Iced Tea?*
That was my first thought too...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:54 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Nah...

Texas Tea!! 8)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
CJ, maybe it was a Long Island Iced Tea?*
OK, I haven't been hanging around here for very long, but I just knew someone would come up with that one.* *

CJ
Old 11-24-2005, 11:12 PM   #19

I respectfully disagree with cell phone restrictions ... though your point about MADD is well taken.

We use cell phones a great deal to keep in contact with 19 stores, the corporate office, vendors /* bankers, etc.* More restrictions will damage our business, and I don't agree with the cited great difference between passenger conversation and cell phone conversations.* This doesn't begin to take into account our ability to keep in touch with our kids, spouse, etc. [And "scientific studies" these days always need to be scrutinized to see who funded them, and what ax they had to grind ...]

I know this is politically incorrect, but please ... don't we have enough laws regulating our behavior?* I'm sick of it.* If I'm driving recklessly, passing inappropriately, speeding, running a light, etc.* ... ticket me, as I'll deserve it.* But if I'm having a peaceful conversation on the freeway, leave me alone.* Hold me responsible if I commit a transgression against a fellow citizen.

For every additional law we pass to restrict behavior, we should recognize we're saying that we're comfortable empowering armed citizens (the police / LEO's) to forcibly interfere with our neighbors' lives.

Tell me I can't use my cell phone in the car, and I'll use the speaker phone ... and give me another law to break. We're all criminals these days ... it dilutes true crime.

Anyone remember tht comic strip "There Oughta be a Law"?* Doesn't exist anymore.* My theory is that it disappeared because the premise became obsolete ... many of those formerly humerous law ideas became reality
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
I respectfully disagree with cell phone restrictions ... though your point about MADD is well taken.

We use cell phones a great deal to keep in contact with 19 stores, the corporate office, vendors /* bankers, etc.* More restrictions will damage our business, and I don't agree with the cited great difference between passenger conversation and cell phone conversations.* This doesn't begin to take into account our ability to keep in touch with our kids, spouse, etc.* [And "scientific studies" these days always need to be scrutinized to see who funded them, and what ax they had to grind ...]

I know this is politically incorrect, but please ... don't we have enough laws regulating our behavior?* I'm sick of it.* If I'm driving recklessly, passing inappropriately, speeding, running a light, etc.* ... ticket me, as I'll deserve it.* But if I'm having a peaceful conversation on the freeway, leave me alone.* Hold me responsible if I commit a transgression against a fellow citizen.

For every additional law we pass to restrict behavior, we should recognize we're saying that we're comfortable empowering armed citizens (the police / LEO's) to forcibly interfere with our neighbors' lives.

Tell me I can't use my cell phone in the car, and I'll use the speaker phone ... and give me another law to break.* We're all criminals these days ... it dilutes true crime.

Anyone remember tht comic strip "There Oughta be a Law"?* Doesn't exist anymore.* My theory is that it disappeared because the premise became obsolete ... many of those formerly humerous law ideas became reality
Damn straight Charles...........we are already regulated/controlled to death.
Probably even Orwell would have been shocked.

On a similar topic............I am totally opposed to "safety check roadblocks"
by police. Blatantly unconstitutional. Now, I see where some are posting
"DRUG CHECK AHEAD" signs. There is no "DRUG CHECK". They observe how you react and then stop you based on your behavior. Yeah, that's a good idea.
Sometimes I wish the ACLU were bigger and more powerful, sort of like the
NRA.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote