MADD - Why no Outrage against Cell Phones??

C

Cut-Throat

There have been various studies showing that cell phones are much more dangerous than Driving under the influence. I am amazed that groups such as MADD are showing no outrage against Cell Phones.

Do they just hate drinking or irresponsible driving? :confused:

Back around 1994-1995, I called my local Highway Patrol, police department, and my insurance agent to ask if anyone was tracking the number of accidents in which cell phones were involved. At the time, no one was.

Since then, of course, that's changed. I also recall reading about a study that said that while cell phones tended to cause more accidents when they were first introduced, that trend has dropped off in more recent years, presumably as people get better at driving while talking. Darned if I can find that article now, though. :-\

As to why people aren't protesting it, my WAG would be that there hasn't been a specific accident that garnered enough attention to spark a protest.

Simple: MADD is really an organization of prohibitionists. They don't fundamentally give a cr@p about drunk driving.

Maybe because MADD is comprised of soccer moms who need to use their cell phones while driving? :D

Seriously. States should prohibit the use of a cell phone while driving unless the driver uses a hands-free kit. Washington, D.C. has such a law, and I've noticed an improvement while driving in the city.

This is one of my pet peeves, too. The other day I saw a woman driving, talking on the cell phone and smoking a cigarette at the same time. And this is in downtown Baltimore, in city traffic. :-\

CJ

There should be a law against the use of cell phones while driving. I'm sure people that use them while traveling on the job would disagree but it simply adds another distraction while in traffic. I have one in the car but it is for security purposes only.

I finally broke down and bought a cell phone.  Whenever I get a call while driving, I pull over ASAP.  I just don't know how people drive and talk.  It is not the same as listening to the car radio.  I would certainly have an accident. 

MADD hates booze.  And the lawyers love drinking limits, it's a gold mine.

I stand a better chance of drinking and driving successfully (I've done it) than driving and phoning. I guess when I have dinner at some restaurant with two glasses of wine, I'm legally over the limit. I believe the cops could stop every car after midnight on weekends in any major city and 75% would fail the sobriety test; most, however get home without a catastrophe.

In some cases, people on the cell phone might even be WORSE than drunk drivers! Often a drunk knows that he/she is drunk and shouldn't be driving, so as a result is paranoid and will try harder to pay attention to their driving. Now of course, the ones that are totally plastered will probably go wrap their cars around something, but i'm talking about the ones that are borderline.

However, people on the cell phone tend to tune out their surroundings and concentrate on the converstation. Also, this is only my opinion, but I think that the younger generations, which have always known about cell phones, will adapt to driving better, simply because as they learn to drive, yakking on the cell phone is already a part of their lives, so they're just better at multitasking. With older people, who learned how to drive and concentrate on the road years ago, the cell phone becomes more of a distraction. In my case, I started driving in 1986, and didn't get a cell phone until 1999. To this day, it's hard for me to talk on the cell while driving, so I try my best to keep it to a minimum.

It's been outlawed in NY for about 4 years now.

Still see plenty of folks chatting away though.

Any distraction interferes with driving ability. Smoking, drinking (being drunk, and the simple act of putting a cup or straw to your lips), talking to others in the car, talking on the phone, messing with the CD player or changing CDs, applying makeup, shaving, reading. Some impact perception and reaction time more than others. Frequency and duration of the distraction also impacts the degree of driving impairment. I dislike cell phone drivers too, but there are plenty of other distractions that could be outlawed, were we to live in a draconian society. Most or all states have reckless driving statutes that prohibit reckless driving (including swerving, irregular braking/acceleration, traffic violations). I don't know if an additional law banning cell phone use is necessary or if it would change behaviors or reduce the frequency or severity of collisions.

FYI, I don't own a cellphone.

When we were kids in the 60's, they started doing the "don't drink and drive" public service announcements. We were mortified because my mom never went anywhere without taking along her iced tea. We didn't know that the "don't drink" part referred to alcohol.

CJ

I keep cell phone use to the bare minimum while driving also. I have heard that tired drivers are just as bad as drunk drivers. Too many people falling asleep at the wheel. I agree that there are many, many distractions while driving. My niece was just changing the radio station and just looked away for a second. She totalled her vehicle, did not hurt anyone else or herself either. She was very lucky. My brother who pays her car insurance is not so lucky, as this was her second wreck!

Dreamer

Jay_Gatsby said:
Seriously.  States should prohibit the use of a cell phone while driving unless the driver uses a hands-free kit.  Washington, D.C. has such a law, and I've noticed an improvement while driving in the city.

I had a hands free phone in a car about 10 years ago. The hands are free, but the mind is not. Hands free is NO solution. I personally had some experiences that made me voe never to engage in a conversation on the phone while driving.

Conversations with passengers are much safer, because the passenger is also aware if someone pulls out in front of you etc. - They stop talking immediately - They know what happended!

The radio is different, because the mind can unhook immediately when encountering a situation in driving needs full attention. Not so with a Hands free phone. - The other person on the phone is saying "are you there" "Did you hear me" etc. - The mind cannot completely unhook from a conversation.

This has been proven in various studies.

Andre1969 said:
CJ, maybe it was a Long Island Iced Tea?  :D

OK, I haven't been hanging around here for very long, but I just knew someone would come up with that one.   :eek:

CJ

I respectfully disagree with cell phone restrictions ... though your point about MADD is well taken.

We use cell phones a great deal to keep in contact with 19 stores, the corporate office, vendors /  bankers, etc.  More restrictions will damage our business, and I don't agree with the cited great difference between passenger conversation and cell phone conversations.  This doesn't begin to take into account our ability to keep in touch with our kids, spouse, etc. [And "scientific studies" these days always need to be scrutinized to see who funded them, and what ax they had to grind ...]

I know this is politically incorrect, but please ... don't we have enough laws regulating our behavior?  I'm sick of it.  If I'm driving recklessly, passing inappropriately, speeding, running a light, etc.  ... ticket me, as I'll deserve it.  But if I'm having a peaceful conversation on the freeway, leave me alone.  Hold me responsible if I commit a transgression against a fellow citizen.

For every additional law we pass to restrict behavior, we should recognize we're saying that we're comfortable empowering armed citizens (the police / LEO's) to forcibly interfere with our neighbors' lives.

Tell me I can't use my cell phone in the car, and I'll use the speaker phone ... and give me another law to break. We're all criminals these days ... it dilutes true crime.

Anyone remember tht comic strip "There Oughta be a Law"?  Doesn't exist anymore.  My theory is that it disappeared because the premise became obsolete ... many of those formerly humerous law ideas became reality

Charles said:
I respectfully disagree with cell phone restrictions ... though your point about MADD is well taken.

We use cell phones a great deal to keep in contact with 19 stores, the corporate office, vendors /  bankers, etc.  More restrictions will damage our business, and I don't agree with the cited great difference between passenger conversation and cell phone conversations.  This doesn't begin to take into account our ability to keep in touch with our kids, spouse, etc.  [And "scientific studies" these days always need to be scrutinized to see who funded them, and what ax they had to grind ...]

I know this is politically incorrect, but please ... don't we have enough laws regulating our behavior?  I'm sick of it.  If I'm driving recklessly, passing inappropriately, speeding, running a light, etc.  ... ticket me, as I'll deserve it.  But if I'm having a peaceful conversation on the freeway, leave me alone.  Hold me responsible if I commit a transgression against a fellow citizen.

For every additional law we pass to restrict behavior, we should recognize we're saying that we're comfortable empowering armed citizens (the police / LEO's) to forcibly interfere with our neighbors' lives.

Tell me I can't use my cell phone in the car, and I'll use the speaker phone ... and give me another law to break.  We're all criminals these days ... it dilutes true crime.

Anyone remember tht comic strip "There Oughta be a Law"?  Doesn't exist anymore.  My theory is that it disappeared because the premise became obsolete ... many of those formerly humerous law ideas became reality

Damn straight Charles...........we are already regulated/controlled to death.
Probably even Orwell would have been shocked.

On a similar topic............I am totally opposed to "safety check roadblocks"
by police. Blatantly unconstitutional. Now, I see where some are posting
"DRUG CHECK AHEAD" signs. There is no "DRUG CHECK". They observe how you react and then stop you based on your behavior. Yeah, that's a good idea.
Sometimes I wish the ACLU were bigger and more powerful, sort of like the
NRA.

JG

Sometimes I wish the ACLU were bigger and more powerful, sort of like the
NRA.

I'm glad you finally realized that the ACLU was on your 'side'.

Charles said:

We use cell phones a great deal to keep in contact with 19 stores, the corporate office, vendors /  bankers, etc.  More restrictions will damage our business, and I don't agree with the cited great difference between passenger conversation and cell phone conversations.  This doesn't begin to take into account our ability to keep in touch with our kids, spouse, etc.  [And "scientific studies" these days always need to be scrutinized to see who funded them, and what ax they had to grind ...]

Tell me I can't use my cell phone in the car, and I'll use the speaker phone ... and give me another law to break.  We're all criminals these days ... it dilutes true crime.

OK Charles,

Using your logic, I assume that you would be in favor of removing all penalities for Drunk Driving!

I happen to know many folks that enjoy drinking more than you enjoy talking on the cell phone.

If both cell phone conversations and Drunk driving cause accidents (and a lot of studies have shown that cell phone conversations are more deadly than alcohol) - Let's get rid of the DUI laws also.

If you agree that all DUI laws should be removed, then I agree with you totally. The laws should stay off our backs. However, if you want the DUI laws and don't want cell laws, then you are as bad the folks who want to have cell phone laws. You would be restricting 'freedom' also.

You obviously can see the problem with society and laws. Some want this law, but not others. We all do not agree.

So, tell me - Do want to get rid of the DUI laws?

Cut-Throat said:
OK Charles,

Using your logic, I assume that you would be in favor of removing all penalities for Drunk Driving!

I happen to know many folks that enjoy drinking more than you enjoy talking on the cell phone.

If both cell phone conversations and Drunk driving cause accidents (and a lot of studies have shown that cell phone conversations are more deadly than alcohol) - Let's get rid of the DUI laws also.

If you agree that all DUI laws should be removed, then I agree with you totally. The laws should stay off our backs. However, if you want the DUI laws and don't want cell laws, then you are as bad the folks who want to have cell phone laws. You would be restricting 'freedom' also.

You obviously can see the problem with society and laws. Some want this law, but not others. We all do not agree.

So, tell me - Do want to get rid of the DUI laws?

Come on C-T. A fallacious analogy. Get serious!

JG

MRGALT2U said:
Come on C-T.  A fallacious analogy.  Get serious!

JG

I am deadly serious ! - What is the difference if a loved one gets killed by a drunk driver or a cell phone user? Your loved one is still dead? -

You 'libertarians', or whatever politics you label yourself as, need to understand how and why laws get enacted, instead of just talking shots at the laws you happen not to like. This is why you guys always blame politicans instead of youselves. You claim to want a lawfree society, like the old west, Driving Drunk was considered fairly humerous in the 1940's.

You can't have it both ways! Either you are in favor of impared drving or you're not!

Back
Top Bottom