Join Early Retirement Today

Mail forwarding
Old 06-27-2020, 10:12 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Mail forwarding

Hi there.
I understand the virtual mailbox when retiring expatriate, but here’s the twist: my primary residence in the USA will become a rental so if I do USPS mail forwarding to the virtual mailbox physical address, how will my rental tenants get their mail?
I can’t find the answer online.
Does anyone know what I should do?
Thanks!
josearau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2020, 11:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Only rent to people with a different name
Old 06-28-2020, 04:57 AM   #3

I think you'll have to tell your tenants that mail is not delivered to the house and they will need a private mailbox. I don't think the post office will rent you an official mailbox without an actual street address, so they would need to use one of the private mailbox options like UPS Store or similar. Of course, that assumes there is such an option in the neighborhood.

Or you could change your own mailing address to be a mailbox and let the tenants get their mail at the house.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:25 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mail is forwarded by name, not just by address. Otherwise you could never get mail the first year you live in an apartment because the previous tenant would have forwarded it to their new address.

That said, forwarding is not perfect. USPS will sometimes fail to forward something that should be sent on. It's much rarer for them to forward something that shouldn't be.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
forwarding is not perfect.
In my experience, forwarding is very, very far from perfect.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been forwarding my mail since March (we moved into our cabin, out of the city for a while).

You can only forward for 12 months, after that they want you to change your address.

You can forward either all mail (that is what we did) or by name. So you would have to forward your name, and then any other name you wanted. Your tenants should get their mail in that case.

That said, as others have said, it is an imperfect solution. We use informed delivery and keep a list of all mail we should have received and check it off as we get it. It sometimes takes two weeks (once three) to get a piece of mail. So if you are expecting anything in a timely fashion - this won't work.
DenverGuy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:36 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We use a virtual mailbox and until the virus hit, traveled almost perpetually for 3-1/2 years.

Rather than put in a change of address with the USPS, our solution was to use our VM address for the important stuff, i.e. financial institutions, credit cards, property tax statements, etc. Most of that we had already switched to e-statements anyway.

That basically leaves only junk mail coming to our home.

Tags
expat, mmail, rental property