Making a Pizza at Home

In lieu of fancy, schmancy pizza ovens and such, I prebake the crust for a bit, then add the toppings. Also, make sure the sauce is thick, or it'll make the crust soggy.

Mmmmmm...that looks goooood.

Where did you get the pan? I"ve looked around here for one like that and haven't found one yet.

omni

I used to have a pan like that. I got it in Oregon from a pizza take and bake place. Sadly it eventually broke (at the seam joining the rim) from overuse. :(

My Mom has always used Contadina Tomato Paste with excellent results. We had our own seasonings, but I see they also have it with various flavorings.

Excellent idea - the low water content should help with getting the crust crispy.

That pizza looks GOOD, Al.

For the screen pans you might also try a local restaurant supply store. The ones here sell to the public. The goods tend to be "industrial" looking because they're designed for restaurant kitchens, but we've found that this means they often (not always) are very durable.

When we visited Buenos Aires I had one of the best pizzas ever -- olive oil, a scattering of oregano, kalamata olives and yellow onions sliced paper-thin, on an amazing crust. Yum!

Finally, has anyone tried to construct a pizza oven from loose brick in their backyards? I'm thinking of attempting same on our concrete patio. Basically, I'd build a base and four walls from unmortared brick, and figure out something for the top (a slab of flagstone, maybe?). I'd fire the "oven" with wood and/or charcoal and bake bread/pizza in it, then disassemble it when I was done and store it for later. Obviously, the safety of such a contraption would be less than a custom-built pizza oven, but I suspect it would still be OK. Hmmm.

Finally, has anyone tried to construct a pizza oven from loose brick in their backyards?
We have a good friend who did this. The local paper did an article on him.

20080924__lifestyle_oven_Gallery.jpg

Every July 4 we go to a party at his house, and he makes lots of pizzas. It was a lot of work to make the oven, and he starts the fire many hours before cooking time.

It's fun, but the pizzas don't seem to be any better than what one can make in a regular oven.

Would a oil splatter screen work - I saw them once - you put it over a pan that you are frying chicken in.

Would a oil splatter screen work - I saw them once - you put it over a pan that you are frying chicken in.

It might, so long as it was made of metal. Mine has little "legs" on it to help keep it on the rim of a pot -- that could be inconvenient if I'm trying to balance it on an oven rack.

Now that I'm thinking of it, though, I'm not sure it would work, because the mesh is so fine that air circulation through the crust would be limited. The mesh is fine enough to keep oil spatters from escaping -- I'm thinking that the larger screen of Al's would allow for more air/moisture exchange and therefore a crispier crust.

If you fancy yourself a pizzaiolo you might enjoy this article on the physics of pizza making. How I get my electric oven up to 625 degrees remains a mystery, and how I instantly turn it down to 450 degrees is another mystery.

https://www.livescience.com/64016-physics-of-perfect-pizza.html

If you'd like to eat the world's most scientifically perfect pizza, you have two options: One, fly to Rome and order a Margherita pizza fresh from the brick oven; or, two, solve a long thermodynamic equation to simulate that glorious Italian pizza in your pathetic electric oven at home.

Last edited:
I have to confess I made a brick oven in the garden . Insulated above with a fire resistant rockwool insulation , and below with about 200 empty wine bottles !!

Bring up to temp slowly (4 hrs - avoid cracks ) ... to about 350 to 380C.

Fired with dry hardwood - cooks a pizza in about 90 secs ... and they taste really really good. Secret is in the design of the oven ... and the relationship between the inside diameter and the entrance height of the chimney !!

20 ish people make it worthwhile lighting ... pizza party time .
The following day , oven is at a good temp for bread baking. after 4 to 5 days it is cold again.

If you fancy yourself a pizzaiolo you might enjoy this article on the physics of pizza making. How I get my electric oven up to 625 degrees remains a mystery, and how I instantly turn it down to 450 degrees is another mystery.

https://www.livescience.com/64016-physics-of-perfect-pizza.html
I've tried every 'home oven just as good as 900F wood fired pizza' recipe and method I've seen over the years and never come close to our local wood fired pizzeria restaurant's product. The best 'Neapolitanesque pizza' I can make at home is done entirely on our gas grill outside and it's a PITA, and it's still not comparable to a real wood fired pizza restaurant pie either IME. We love Neapolitan pizza, but not enough to have our own wood fired pizza rig outside. :crazy:

Boy, this was an old thread...

Similarly, I've tried various methods to cook a pizza in the oven and haven't even come close to making it worth our while to cook pizza at home.

I'd love to build a pizza oven in the backyard but it's not practical at this point.
The ooni looks interesting though.

Still like the NY style thin crust pizza cooked at home.

Pappa Murph's thin crust veggie for DW and me. I cook it at 450F on the rack just above the burner, and remove the tray as soon as the pizza is firm enough to rest on the oven rack. We get a crisp pizza that we both enjoy without a lot of prep/clean up stuff.

We've done a lot of make at home over the years, but time is too precious to fuss incessantly over pizza. That is reserved for barbecuing. :LOL:

Here's the recipe for a low-carb pizza (recommended):

Thin and Crispy Pizza Crust

Heat oven to 450 degrees
In a bowl thoroughly combine
3 eggs
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (440 g)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp basil
press evenly into Pam sprayed pizza pan or cookie sheet
(this makes one 16 inch pizza crust)
Bake at 450 degrees until golden brown (about 10 to 15 minutes)

Then add topping and cook a few more mins

Here's the tomato sauce recipe:

Spaghetti Sauce

1 can tomato paste
1/3 cup water
3 fl oz wine (optional)
1 Tbs oregano leaves
1 Tbs Italian seasoning
.5 Tbs onion powder
1 Tbs garlic powder
1 TBS Parmesan (add until desired thickness)
2 drops liquid Splenda

Back
Top Bottom