Join Early Retirement Today

making lawyers look bad
Old 06-08-2005, 07:50 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

making lawyers look bad

Interesting court decision. May join the ranks of spilled coffee and the like.
A husband and wife had some friends, a couple, over to their house. The house had one bathroom. One of the guys was using the bathroom. The two women had to go, and for some reason decided to use a cement laundry sink as a toilet. One climbed on and then the other. The sink crashed to the floor, injuring the woman who was a guest in the house. She sued the owners for her injuries.

The owners moved the court to dismiss the case on the grounds that the sink wasn't defective and they had no duty to protect guests from acting like idiots. The courts have allowed the case to continue for the jury to decide whether there was a breach of some duty to the guests. Trial hasn't happened yet.

grrrr.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: making lawyers look bad
Old 06-08-2005, 08:03 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Heh, I wanted to post this earlier but until now didn't have an appropriate venue:

http://comics.com/comics/franknernes...-20050606.html
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:27 AM   #3

I sure hope the jury tells them to piss off.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:39 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Interesting court decision...* A husband and wife had some friends, a couple,* over to their house...*
With friends like that, who need enemies?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:42 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think he should have said "Urine idiot!" and dismissed it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:44 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Dismissed and full compensation to the defendant for their expenses.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:25 PM   #7

Come on now, let's take it easy on the lawyers.
We all know it is just that 98% that makes all the rest look bad.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:41 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting that we are all commenting on the lawyers. I think we need to give lawyers a bigger break. I don't want a lawyer to make a judgment about my case - I want them to legally represent me.

I think we (as a community / country) should be shaming the people that file these kind of lawsuits.* The jury should send the plantiffs packing and award a fat judgment to the defendants and they should be made to pay court costs for wasting everyone's time.* But, no doubt, some idiot jury will award money to the plantiff and further encourage people to sue over stupid stuff.

It's easy to blame the lawyers - it absolves us of our collective guilt in this lawsuit lottery. It is us - the jury of one's peers - that has created this monster and it will only be put down when enough people realize it and change their behaviour.*
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:55 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:39 PM   #10

Starving lawyer straight out of school maybe or I hope? Martha we still love ya.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I sure hope the jury tells them to piss off.
Great, TA, you beat me to the punch!

You really can't blame this one on lawyers. Good thing I'm not on the jury cause we'd have our own lawsuit if they wanted to award a penny!

Martha,
Do not judges throw out lawsuits as "frivilous (sp) and unwarranted" any more or do we just try all of these whacko lawsuits

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
Come on now, let's take it easy on the lawyers.
We all know it is just that 98% that makes all the rest look bad.
Well I guess I've been a little tough on the lawyers, at least for this forum.
I'll raise my percentage from the above 2% up to 17% to reflect the info in the excerpt below (USA Today)* But, that's the best I can do.

Falling esteem* (from USA Today)
"Unfortunately for most of us, there are very few professions that have not experienced an erosion in prestige during the past 30 years. While the percentage of those who assign teachers great prestige has risen since 1977, lawyers have slipped from 36% to 17%, priests and ministers from 41% to 32%, engineers from 34% to 29%, athletes from 26% to 21% and journalists from 17% to 14%."

To end this post on a happy note, the same article indicated that teachers. police officers, fire fighters and nurses had shown large increases lately.* Scientists are at the top of the heap with doctors close.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:05 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

I believe for someone to be held liable in a tort, the defendant has to have acted negligently and that negligence has to directly lead to the injury.

I would assume the owner did not act negligently at all, and have no idea why this case would even have to continue. I don't see anywhere that the owner could have acted negligently. The ONLY possibility I see is whether that cement sink was incorrectly installed or something to that regard, so that if it was used, it would cause harm to whoever used it. But I would assume if this was the case then the ladies would have to prove that the cement sink broke under reasonable usage, and i doubt this would classify. But that is the only sliver of doubt in this case I see that might have made it continue?
thechoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:43 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

If he didnt tell the plaintiff "urine idiot!" he should have told the defendant "urine trouble".
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:10 PM   #15

Quote:
I would assume the owner did not act negligently at all, and have no idea why this case would even have to continue.* I don't see anywhere that the owner could have acted negligently.
If i read the story correctly, this husband and wife had "a couple" over.* *Then "one of the guys" had to use the bathroom.* (so 2 of 4 of them are guys, but we know that the ones that own the house are man and woman).* *Thus, the invited couple were also man and woman.

So, back to the story, one woman hopped up first on the sink (this had to be the wife and coowner of the house) and, in doing so, non-verbally suggested to the female guest that this is something safe to do (because this is her house and she should be relatively familiar with how secure the sink is).* *Subsequently, the female guest hopped up and did the same thing and then it went crashing down.

Sounds like it very well could be negligence to me.* *
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:38 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

And I thought you were of average intelligence!

Ok, trick question:
A couple has two kids. One is a boy.
What is the probability that the other is also a boy?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:49 PM   #17

Ok, trick question:
A couple has two kids.* *One is a boy.
What is the probability that the other is also a boy?

50%.* *Those are mutually exclusive events (the two births), so the fact that one child is a boy is irrelevant to the probably of the second being a boy.

Had you asked me what is the chance a couple that had two kids would end up having 2 boys, the chance would be 25%.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:07 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
If i read the story correctly, this husband and wife had "a couple" over.* *Then "one of the guys" had to use the bathroom.* (so 2 of 4 of them are guys, but we know that the ones that own the house are man and woman).* *Thus, the invited couple were also man and woman.

So, back to the story, one woman hopped up first on the sink (this had to be the wife and coowner of the house) and, in doing so, non-verbally suggested to the female guest that this is something safe to do (because this is her house and she should be relatively familiar with how secure the sink is).* *Subsequently, the female guest hopped up and did the same thing and then it went crashing down.

Sounds like it very well could be negligence to me.* *
This is where IMHO the law and common sense go in two different directions. I think you laid out a good LEGAL argument as to how this might be negligence.

What normal person thinks that a sink was designed to be used as a toilet? Yes, some of us have done some pretty unusual things in dire circumstances (as most women will tell you that no matter where you go, there is ALWAYS a wait to use the bathroom). Does anyone posting here really expect that a sink is tested to withstand the weight of a person sitting on it?* Note, I didn't ask if you thought it would support the weight - obviously these people "thought" it would - but do you have the expectation that a sink would be designed and installed in such a way that would allow you to use it in a way that it was not designed to be used

These are the same people that make it necessary to have a warning label on my hair dryer telling me that I shouldn't use my hair dryer while in the shower.* I think we should let nature thin the herd a little. If you're so dumb that you are going to use a hair dryer while in the shower or get injured because you used a sink as a toilet.....

Anyway, sounds like alcohol or some other controlled substance was in play during the evening in question......
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:46 AM   #19

At first, I was thinking that if I were selected for the jury I would want to sue for loss of valuable retirement time. But my case is severely weakened by the fact that I actually wasted this much time reading this thread.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:51 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Why do lawyers wear neckties?

To keep the foreskin out of their faces.............

Ok, someone had to "sink" to this level! :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote