Join Early Retirement Today

Man's best friend
Old 11-17-2015, 04:56 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Man's best friend

Just got the news that my best buddy has lymphoma. Add that to his congestive heart condition, kidney disease and he's twelve years old, I'll be saying goodbye to him within a couple of months. The unconditional love from this guy has kept me going through some tough times. He's always been by my side, including the last seven years I worked, since I worked from home. He's been an escape artist, a food thief and a handful when the doorbell rings. He's woken me at 5 am everyday for breakfast and always wanted my dinner along with his. He was always happy, friendly and wanted to be in the middle of everything. He's my best friend. What else could make a 59 year old man cry like this? Why can't dogs live as long as we do? I still have him, but I already miss him knowing his time is limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2015, 05:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to read this, Dash man. It's tough losing a best friend. Make the most of the rest of your time together. I'm sure you'll cherish all of the memories.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:02 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ours is 15 years old, and I am dreading the news you got. I know your pain and feel for you, our four legged companions are our best friends and the most loyal. I feel for you.

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very sorry to hear about this, Dash Man. I know exactly what you mean when you refer to him as your best friend, who has been with you through it all. I have a 9 1/2 yr. old yellow lab sleeping by my side as I type this, and he is my best friend also. I dread the day when I will lose him, but I know it is coming one of these years. He's been my constant companion for years, as I know your dog was. He bugs me to go for walks every day (which I need), and he always greets me with enthusiasm when I come home, as I'm sure your dog does also. I'm sure I will be crying when I lose him, and I'm 60 years old.

Just remember that you have given your friend a great life, and he has greatly enriched your life also. That's about all you can ask. I'm sure you will remember him for as long as you live.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We had to put down our best buddy, a German Shepherd. That was 30 years ago. Still miss him. Went 28 years without another, but there is always potential to meet the next best friend.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

What a sweet post to a wonderful dog, Dash man. I am so sorry.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:35 PM   #7

We had to let go of Ginger, our 13 year old Belgian Malinois. Her passing left a hole in our lives for some time. I remember DW & I felt sick to our stomachs making the drive that day to the vet's office.

For many months after she passed, DW would swear she could hear Ginger's footsteps at times in the house and expected her to bark happily at the gate every day when arriving home from work.

Several years have passed since. We know there will be another dog willing to adopt us when the time is right.....
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:45 PM   #8

So sorry Dash Man. Our Pepper is 15.5 years old and was just diagnosed with kidney disease so I know that we will soon need to make a difficult choice as well. As to why dogs don't live as long as people, I saw this on FB and it makes me cry but also feel better at the same time!

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1447807501.590519.jpg

Old 11-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

You've pegged it, it's just not fair that dogs live short lives. And once the children leave home, dogs become even more dear to us.

May your sweet dog rest in peace.
Tandemlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:52 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We had to have our little 12 year old black cat put to sleep this week. He fell into the bathtub, injured his neck and couldn't walk. My wife is really taking it hard.

We also have a 2 year old Maine Coon cat, and he's quite a character. You know, by the time he gets elderly, we could be in a nursing home or even worse. Those getting new kitties in their 60's might have them for the duration of life.

Hank the Rottweiler has been back home 1 year, since someone dognapped and incarcerated him for 5 months against his will. He's finally back up to his normal weight and he's again King of the Cul-de-sac. Hank's like a poodle in the house and all guard dog when outside.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:23 PM   #11

We have been down that raod many times. We currently have 3. The last we had to put down we had someone come to the house. It was actually a little better than in the vet, but still very difficult.
What I tell everyone (including myself) is to remember the good times. They give so much and ask so little.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:24 PM   #12

I'm so terribly sorry. I've loved many dogs and cats in my life and still miss them terribly.

Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:41 PM   #13

So sorry to hear. Winter is especially hard on ill pets, even if indoors. He will let you know when life is no longer good. When that time comes, be it tomorrow, or months from now, take action , please don't let him suffer.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:01 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Dash that was a beautiful tribute to a fine friend. My thoughts are with you as you say goodbye. No dog could have a better life than to be loved like yours has been. You have been the same steadfast friend to him that he has been to you all these years. Sad times, but try to remember those good times together that make these painful endings all the more difficult.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:13 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Dash so sorry. We get to love them while they're here, and then our forever. Such wonderful friends, every one is the best dog ever.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Just got the news that my best buddy has lymphoma. Add that to his congestive heart condition, kidney disease and he's twelve years old, I'll be saying goodbye to him within a couple of months. The unconditional love from this guy has kept me going through some tough times. He's always been by my side, including the last seven years I worked, since I worked from home. He's been an escape artist, a food thief and a handful when the doorbell rings. He's woken me at 5 am everyday for breakfast and always wanted my dinner along with his. He was always happy, friendly and wanted to be in the middle of everything. He's my best friend. What else could make a 59 year old man cry like this? Why can't dogs live as long as we do? I still have him, but I already miss him knowing his time is limited.

I am so sorry to hear this. I too have been down that road many times, saying goodbye to a furry companion, and it hurts just as much every time. It's very clear that you and your buddy are lucky to have each other. The only thing that eases the pain for me is knowing that a peaceful end to the journey is truly the final gift I can give them. It doesn't stop my tears, but it makes it possible to say goodbye.
Calico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:19 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Dash Man,

Please post a picture of your dog. I would love to see him.
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:58 PM   #18

The best thing I did when it became apparent that her days were few was to write one thing and one thing only on my personal schedule---be with Molly 24 hours a day. The last two nights when she was too sore/tender to get on the bed, I slept on the floor with her. She never lost my sight
I wondered about how I would know when it was time to make "that decision," The vet had told me that as much as I loved her, I would know and do the right thing. He was right, and I'm certain you will know as well.
I too, would like to see a picture of your pal.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:32 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Dash Man,
I'm very sorry to hear about your pooch. They do add so much to our lives.

Katie was the best dog DW and I ever had. We had to put her to sleep almost a decade ago, but still talk about her frequently. We knew when the time was right, but that didn't make it easier. I wouldn't give a damn for a person who could put his dog down without tears.

One consolation for us was that Katie wasn't burdened by the "finality" of death, as we humans know it. No dread of never seeing us again, no thoughts of the hereafter (or not), no knowing that this is "it"--forever. Just her human family around her, holding her, and then sleep. It's a blessing. The grief is in our hearts, but it's some comfort knowing our pal didn't feel it.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:37 AM   #20

How about having a special day with him before he goes?
Jon Katz's Going Home: Spend one, last, perfect day with your dying dog.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote