Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-22-2018, 08:42 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
We've begun looking into some senior living options, but Margaritaville or other themed communities don't appeal.

Long time fan of JB and have seen him several times back in the 80's when tickets were not ridiculously priced. It's been interesting to watch JB's career. I think I saw an article around '86 (maybe when JB was about to turn 40) where he was still hoping to have $50K to blow on a an around-the-world tour. He probably makes that per day now with all the merchandising. Happy for him, but don't think I would attend another concert unless someone gave me the tickets and arranged the transportation. You can't go home (but maybe YMMV.)
If I went to a Jimmy Buffett concert I'd want to be wearing my Jerry Garcia tie.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2018, 08:57 AM   #82

Maybe I'm the odd one (no surprise), but as I get older myself I enjoy being with older people more. Certainly not all of them, but I've known so many with great stories, great attitudes, and wonderful experiences to share.

If someone is smart and fun to be around when they're young, they're sometimes even more fun to be around when they're old. At least that's my experience.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:12 AM   #83

Perhaps “several hundred pages” is an exaggeration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Friends of ours live in a 55+ community in Texas. They will have 10,000 houses built in the near future. There are 5 floor plans to choose from. You can't plant a bush or paint your outside house without approval. There are several hundred pages of rules you must follow. They love it. I would not like it.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Maybe I'm the odd one (no surprise), but as I get older myself I enjoy being with older people more. Certainly not all of them, but I've known so many with great stories, great attitudes, and wonderful experiences to share.

If someone is smart and fun to be around when they're young, they're sometimes even more fun to be around when they're old. At least that's my experience.
Yes, pretty much.

A few of the folks in my neighborhood are whiners, but I bet they always were.

This is not an issue in general. The friends I make are not the whining more gossipy type. I don't have to listen to everybody.

We tend to invite people over for very small gatherings which I much prefer to the larger neighborhood social events. We've made plenty of friends here. We don't socialize much being introverts, but we have plenty of folks in our neighborhood we enjoy spending time with one-on-one. And since we are all retired, enjoy traveling, and other things we have lots of great stories to swap.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:13 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You might want to work on that or you'll soon discover that a life of self-loathing leaves much to be desired.
Nah, to much self confidence for that to ever be an issue!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:54 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

I have always enjoyed interacting with older people. I've found the "sweet spot" to be about 10 to 20 years older. Now in our early 70s, that group is growing smaller by the day. One advantage here in the Islands is that we have the longest lived people within the US. We have one friend who is 102 and many friends in their 90s. There are oceans of folks in their 80s. We are STILL the young 'uns in most of our circles of friends. At some point (lord willin' and the creek don't rise) that will change, and we'll be the eldest. I guess the alternative is that we'll not make it to being "old." YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:45 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Okay trick question. How old is old enough to 'retire' from FIRE?

And as long as I'm losing money on my 'hobbies' it's alright.

Not WORK!

heh heh heh - after 25 years of ER I'm not 'old' just getting warmed up.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:57 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

We went and checked out the Latitude Margaritaville development in Daytona Beach this week. I must say as an engineer, the homes are built VERY WELL. The Builder is Minto Homes.

They are also a reasonable distance apart. However, they are over 9 miles from the beach, BUT there is a free shuttle to and from their own beach club that is included in the HOA along with a resort style Clubhouse, Pool and Amenities, which is a reasonable $280pm. It also Including Landscaping and Yard maintenance for SF Homes.

Not sure I like the constant Buffett references, I do not own one of his CDs, and if they played his music 24/7 in the clubhouse it would drive me mad.

My only complaint is the Villa style Semi Detatched and SF Homes are next to each other. They also seem to built the same models next to each other, that gives the cookie cutter look to the neighborhood. I would prefer the SF homes to have their own section of the property and to have Different models spaced randomly. Maybe future development phase sites will. Another thing that put me off was the fact there were going to be 6,900 homes and built out was planned for the next 15 years. That means you are stuck with your home or sell it for a loss. Probably better to wait for someone to sell rather than buy new.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
...That means you are stuck with your home or sell it for a loss. Probably better to wait for someone to sell rather than buy new.
In a retirement community, or anywhere that attracts a lot of retirees, you shouldn't have to wait too long. Turnover is sort of inevitable, if you know what I mean...
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:25 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
We went and checked out the Latitude Margaritaville development in Daytona Beach this week. I must say as an engineer, the homes are built VERY WELL. The Builder is Minto Homes.

They are also a reasonable distance apart. However, they are over 9 miles from the beach, BUT there is a free shuttle to and from their own beach club that is included in the HOA along with a resort style Clubhouse, Pool and Amenities, which is a reasonable $280pm. It also Including Landscaping and Yard maintenance for SF Homes.

Not sure I like the constant Buffett references, I do not own one of his CDs, and if they played his music 24/7 in the clubhouse it would drive me mad.

My only complaint is the Villa style Semi Detatched and SF Homes are next to each other. They also seem to built the same models next to each other, that gives the cookie cutter look to the neighborhood. I would prefer the SF homes to have their own section of the property and to have Different models spaced randomly. Maybe future development phase sites will. Another thing that put me off was the fact there were going to be 6,900 homes and built out was planned for the next 15 years. That means you are stuck with your home or sell it for a loss. Probably better to wait for someone to sell rather than buy new.
Thanks for the details.
This is how Minto builds, in my experience. He gets a few plans for houses and then builds them like: X X X X X X X Y Y Y Y Y Y Y A A A A A A A A A A Z Z Z Z Z Z ...etc.
I guess it's efficient, he does the same with high rise buildings as well.
Probably saves a ton of money in architect fees.

The minto homes I've owned have all been very well built in decades past.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:32 PM   #91

Just stopped in Margaritaville Daytona to visit friends who are trying to buy there. Very vibrant. Not your typical 55+ community, but not a bunch of parrot heads either. The demand for these homes is outrageous, very impressed with the quality of construction and the resort style atmosphere. Some of the comments on this old thread made we laugh.