Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I imagine that is true. But I like to snuggle up with an e-reader!
I use gutenberg.org with my ereader.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I'm not positive that these are actual Twain quotes, but good advice imho.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #23

I downloaded for free what is supposed to be "The Complete Works of Mark Twain" for Kindle from Amazon about 3 years ago; I assume it is still available. It includes "Letters From The Earth".
Old 08-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As I am agnostic in most matters outside of mathematics and science, my favorite quote of Mark Twain has to be this.

"Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defense." -- Mark Twain

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

"October. This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February."
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

My favorite Mark Twain quote: "Life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
"October. This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February."
Some people do not know this quote from Mark Twain: "Put all your eggs in one basket, and watch that basket".

Mark Twain invested heavily in a small startup that did not pay off. According to a Web site, he suffered a "$150,000 loss -- $4 million in today's dollars -- on the Paige Compositor, an automatic typesetting machine that Twain believed would revolutionize the publishing industry".

He declared bankruptcy at the age of 59. It is said that he eventually paid off all his debts though he was legally cleared of them, an honorable man that he was.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Mark Twain invested heavily in a small startup that did not pay off. According to a Web site, he suffered a "$150,000 loss -- $4 million in today's dollars -- on the Paige Compositor, an automatic typesetting machine that Twain believed would revolutionize the publishing industry".

He declared bankruptcy at the age of 59. It is said that he eventually paid off all his debts, a honorable man that he was.
Born in 1835, I suspect that he was a casualty of the brief but serious depression caused by the Panic of 1893. It could have been a lot worse had J.P. Morgan (the man, not the legacy firm and not the Gong Show celebrity) didn't step in and add the modern equivalent of many billions of dollars of liquidity into the system.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

Third grade... Tom Sawyer... prompted a love of reading. In the 1940's Mark Twain was still in our era. Except for radio, no different, and we could easily see the whitewashed fence and Becky Thatcher...

Quote:
They sprang to their feet and hurried to the shore toward the town. They parted the bushes on the bank and peered out over the water. The little steam ferry-boat was about a mile below the village, drifting with the current. Her broad deck seemed crowded with people. There were a great many skiffs rowing about or floating with the stream in the neighborhood of the ferryboat, but the boys could not determine what the men in them were doing. Presently a great jet of white smoke burst from the ferryboat's side, and as it expanded and rose in a lazy cloud, that same dull throb of sound was borne to the listeners again.

"I know now!" exclaimed Tom; "somebody's drownded!"

"That's it!" said Huck; "they done that last summer, when Bill Turner got drownded; they shoot a cannon over the water, and that makes him come up to the top. Yes, and they take loaves of bread and put quicksilver in 'em and set 'em afloat, and wherever there's anybody that's drownded, they'll float right there and stop."

"Yes, I've heard about that," said Joe. "I wonder what makes the bread do that."

"Oh, it ain't the bread, so much," said Tom; "I reckon it's mostly what they SAY over it before they start it out."

"But they don't say anything over it," said Huck. "I've seen 'em and they don't."

"Well, that's funny," said Tom. "But maybe they say it to themselves. Of COURSE they do. Anybody might know that."

The other boys agreed that there was reason in what Tom said, because an ignorant lump of bread, uninstructed by an incantation, could not be expected to act very intelligently when set upon an errand of such gravity.

"By jings, I wish I was over there, now," said Joe.

"I do too" said Huck "I'd give heaps to know who it is."

The boys still listened and watched. Presently a revealing thought flashed through Tom's mind, and he exclaimed:

"Boys, I know who's drownded -- it's us!"
Tom Sawyer, by Mark Twain; CHAPTER XIV Page 3
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:17 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Thought about this one the other day, and so true of the boredom of life after a much-anticipated and long-planned adventure!

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Hmm... Obviously, Mark Twain's cherished trip was comfortable, much like on a modern cruise ship, and not like the trip the Pilgrims suffered on the Mayflower. Surely, I would have the same sentiment.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I agree, even a terribly uncomfortable trip where you sleep in ditches has you longing for a return to travel once you get back home to the office. I'd honestly rather be in Siberia than at work...isn't that why I've been a member of this forum for 9 years, after all?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #33

here's an excellent quote
Attached Images
File Type: png the-two-most-important-days-of-your-life1.png (139.0 KB, 15 views)
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #34

Among his best quotes were timeless political commentary.

- Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- There is no distinctly American criminal class.....except Congress.

- The difference between a taxidermist and a tax collector is that the taxidermist only takes your skin.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Mark Twain was actually very influential in my decision to stop waiting one more year and to just go for it and RE 14 months ago (age 48), he advised:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

And that's what my wife and I have been doing since then.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:03 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

“Sometimes I wonder if the world is run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
"I'm glad I did it, partly because it was worth doing, but mostly because I'll never have to do it again."....Mark Twain
Which succinctly sums up my one and only parachute jump, back in 1978.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:41 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Which succinctly sums up my one and only parachute jump, back in 1978.
Also describes my one and only marathon and my one and only triathlon.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
Also describes my one and only marathon and my one and only triathlon.
I got one marathon in before my knees gave out completely......glad I did it.....wish I could still run.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I got one marathon in before my knees gave out completely......glad I did it.....wish I could still run.
Knees are my problem, too. Once every year or so I think to myself, I should just take a short run and see how the knee is doing. All it takes is a mile or so and I realize just how stupid the idea was. Bicycling is ok, but it just isn't as satisfying as running for me. I swim like a rock, so the triathlon was an adventure.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote