Join Early Retirement Today

Marketing Test
Old 02-08-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Marketing Test

Want to see either how well you pay attention or how indoctrinated you are by clever marketing? Check out this test. I got 19/20, which means I officially need to get a life. Some are ridiculously easy and others are tricky.

cramersweeney.com
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

at 85% i'm a "smart marketing genius!". sigh. Newspeak, like people who pay their credit card bills in full each month being known in the industry as deadbeats or television ads being known as content.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

At 12 out of 20, I am "Smart Marketing Savvy - Looks like somebody's eating their Wheaties!"

Two of the 12 were just good guesses. Some were very old icons from the 1950's. These days, normally I mute and do not watch commercials.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I was 12 of 20... but it took me a bit to realize that they were playing something... I had my computer on mute and 'guessed'...

Funny... some of the ones I missed I picked the major competitor of the one that it represented... go figure...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

18 out of 20 for me! Guess I need a life too...wait, I have a life...so I'll chalk it up to good memory, or something.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:34 AM   #6

I was 15 out of 20, must have had a wasted childhood.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey View Post
18 out of 20 for me! Guess I need a life too...wait, I have a life...so I'll chalk it up to good memory, or something.
Yeah, I like to think I have a life, too. This test kinda scared me into thinking otherwise.

I guessed on the Etrade one. The Poppin' Fresh one threw me. I've never heard of that, ever.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I am a dunce.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Got 'em all. Clif and I even even participated in making one of them.

Branding is amazing. My son started calling all soda "coke" when he started talking fluently. We dont buy coke and nobody around him has ever called it "coke", we're pepsi drinkers.

But he recognizes coke machines, coke trucks, and everything is coke. He calls pepsi "blue coke", real coke "red coke", and one of his favorites is 7-up which is "white coke".
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Branding is amazing. My son started calling all soda "coke" when he started talking fluently. We dont buy coke and nobody around him has ever called it "coke", we're pepsi drinkers.
Obviously he is a Southerner at heart.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Mysteriously he pronounces some words with an english accent and some with a new yawkah accent, occasionally some boston thrown in.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:21 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

I got 19 out of 20 which is amazing considering I only occasionally watch TV and I'm usually reading at the same time .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:21 PM   #13

18 out of 20

missed one audio and I think I missed the pillberry dough boy
Old 02-08-2008, 12:26 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Mysteriously he pronounces some words with an english accent and some with a new yawkah accent, occasionally some boston thrown in.
Kids are so funny .My So's grandson was over on Saturday and he kept on saying " Don't you do that " and shaking his head .Plus I was reading the book "Honeymoon with my brother " and the front cover has two arms each holding a beer . He came up to the book and started saying DADA . We thought it was hysterical .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:26 PM   #15

17 out of 20, I am "Smart Marketing Savvy - Looks like somebody's eating their Wheaties!" Whoopy-Ding! I would have had 18 but my mouse finger mis-fired once.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #16

17 of 20
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Kids are so funny .My So's grandson was over on Saturday and he kept on saying " Don't you do that " and shaking his head .Plus I was reading the book "Honeymoon with my brother " and the front cover has two arms each holding a beer . He came up to the book and started saying DADA . We thought it was hysterical .
Yep, we're getting that. "Dont DO that!", "Get AWAY from me!" and "Take me away from all this!" are the latest. My dad gets all the bossing though. It doesnt work very well with me.

Whenever I walk down the booze aisle and we get close to the champagne section, Gabe always points and says "mama's drink!!!"
Old 02-08-2008, 01:03 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

But he recognizes coke machines, coke trucks, and everything is coke. He calls pepsi "blue coke", real coke "red coke", and one of his favorites is 7-up which is "white coke".
It's not branding per se, but I am absolutely floored when my kids tell me with innocent earnestness that I just absolutely must buy that ladder genie that is like 86 ladders in one. They then proceed to tell me the five major bullet points from the 30-minute-TV-ad-program about why the ladder genie is better than traditional ladders. I gamely tried to explain that I didn't need a ladder, which mostly fell on deaf ears. They finally gave up their quest in some sort of mix of disappointment and bewilderment.

I really wonder why that particular TV-ad-program is so effective.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:59 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

that was fun im savvy..14/20
Old 02-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

17/20.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote