Join Early Retirement Today

Martian Global Warming
Old 01-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Martian Global Warming

The little green men on Mars are to blame clains El Ghoreo, martian politician.

Excerpt from National Geographic article:

"........Mars, too, appears to be enjoying more mild and balmy temperatures.
In 2005 data from NASA's Mars Global Surveyor and Odyssey missions revealed that the carbon dioxide "ice caps" near Mars's south pole had been diminishing for three summers in a row.
Habibullo Abdussamatov, head of space research at St. Petersburg's Pulkovo Astronomical Observatory in Russia, says the Mars data is evidence that the current global warming on Earth is being caused by changes in the sun.
"The long-term increase in solar irradiance is heating both Earth and Mars," he said.
Solar Cycles
Abdussamatov believes that changes in the sun's heat output can account for almost all the climate changes we see on both planets. Mars and Earth, for instance, have experienced periodic ice ages throughout their histories........."
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2008, 07:53 PM   #2

Is it related to the chances of Mars being hit by an asteroid increasing? That would be a story!

iTWire - Possibility of asteroid hitting Mars upped to 1 out of 25
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
The little green men on Mars are to blame clains El Ghoreo, martian politician.

Excerpt from National Geographic article:

"........Mars, too, appears to be enjoying more mild and balmy temperatures.
In 2005 data from NASA's Mars Global Surveyor and Odyssey missions revealed that the carbon dioxide "ice caps" near Mars's south pole had been diminishing for three summers in a row.
Habibullo Abdussamatov, head of space research at St. Petersburg's Pulkovo Astronomical Observatory in Russia, says the Mars data is evidence that the current global warming on Earth is being caused by changes in the sun.
"The long-term increase in solar irradiance is heating both Earth and Mars," he said.
Solar Cycles
Abdussamatov believes that changes in the sun's heat output can account for almost all the climate changes we see on both planets. Mars and Earth, for instance, have experienced periodic ice ages throughout their histories........."
Most scientists seem to disagree with Abdussamovtov's conclusions. Mars Melt Hints at Solar, Not Human, Cause for Warming, Scientist Says

"The conventional theory is that climate changes on Mars can be explained primarily by small alterations in the planet's orbit and tilt, not by changes in the sun.
"Wobbles in the orbit of Mars are the main cause of its climate change in the current era," Oxford's Wilson explained. (Related: "Don't Blame Sun for Global Warming, Study Says" [September 13, 2006].)"

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
........Mars, too, appears to be enjoying more mild and balmy temperatures.
D*MN! The Republicans are in control on MARS, TOO??

Quote:
Most scientists seem to disagree with Abdussamovtov's conclusions. Mars Melt Hints at Solar, Not Human, Cause for Warming, Scientist Says
Quite right. All men know that global warming is caused by Americans--specifically Republicans--GWB in particular. The data must be chosen to fit the conclusions.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Quite right. All men know that global warming is caused by Americans--specifically Republicans--GWB in particular. The data must be chosen to fit the conclusions.
So all these scientists are lying, is that what you're saying? "The data must be chosen to fit the conclusions" is a hell of an accusation to throw at a scientific community, even more so than at a single scientist, because it involves accusing them of conspiracy as well as fraud. You'll have some hard data to back up that accusation, I hope?

Here's the abstract of the paper explaining the effects on Mars:

For hundreds of years, scientists have tracked the changing appearance of Mars, first by hand drawings and later by photographs1, 2. Because of this historical record, many classical albedo patterns have long been known to shift in appearance over time. Decadal variations of the martian surface albedo are generally attributed to removal and deposition of small amounts of relatively bright dust on the surface. Large swaths of the surface (up to 56 million km2) have been observed to darken or brighten by 10 per cent or more3, 4, 5. It is unknown, however, how these albedo changes affect wind circulation, dust transport and the feedback between these processes and the martian climate. Here we present predictions from a Mars general circulation model, indicating that the observed interannual albedo alterations strongly influence the martian environment. Results indicate enhanced wind stress in recently darkened areas and decreased wind stress in brightened areas, producing a positive feedback system in which the albedo changes strengthen the winds that generate the changes. The simulations also predict a net annual global warming of surface air temperatures by 0.65 K, enhancing dust lifting by increasing the likelihood of dust devil generation. The increase in global dust lifting by both wind stress and dust devils may affect the mechanisms that trigger large dust storm initiation, a poorly understood phenomenon, unique to Mars. In addition, predicted increases in summertime air temperatures at high southern latitudes would contribute to the rapid and steady scarp retreat that has been observed in the south polar residual ice for the past four Mars years6, 7, 8. Our results suggest that documented albedo changes affect recent climate change and large-scale weather patterns on Mars, and thus albedo variations are a necessary component of future atmospheric and climate studies.

Lori K. Fenton1, Paul E. Geissler3 & Robert M. Haberle2. Global warming and climate forcing by recent albedo changes on Mars. Nature 446, 646-649 (5 April 2007) | doi:10.1038/nature05718; Received 6 September 2006; Accepted 22 February 2007.

For anyone with a subscription to Nature, the link is here:

Global warming and climate forcing by recent albedo changes on Mars : Article : Nature
Cantuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ah, I see you did not disagree with my other contentions. Good, good.

I am waiting for wheat to grow in Greenland again.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:23 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Your other contention was that Republicans are in charge on Mars. I'm considerably less bothered by that than by a casual accusation of criminal fraud against a whole community of scientists.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:09 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

"There is no proof smoking causes cancer!" - The tobacco industry, circa 1970.

99% of people will claim they were always driving a Prius 30 years from now, just like I can't find an old person who admits to being pro segregation.

I do know someone who still claims smoking isn't bad for you. I respect her in an odd, you are one crazy-ass nut kind of way.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Global Warming on Pluto
Old 01-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #9

Global Warming on Pluto

Scientists from MIT, U Hawaii, Cornell, and Lowell Observatory discuss global warming on Pluto. Note it has warmed 2 degrees celsius over last 14 years despite Pluto moving farther from sun.

Pluto is undergoing global warming, researchers find - MIT News Office
Old 01-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
Scientists from MIT, U Hawaii, Cornell, and Lowell Observatory discuss global warming on Pluto. Note it has warmed 2 degrees celsius over last 14 years despite Pluto moving farther from sun.

Pluto is undergoing global warming, researchers find - MIT News Office
Is your inference that the changes in Pluto (if correct), Mars (if correct), and the Earth are all the same cause?

If so, isn't it odd that the article you link to actually say it cannot be the same cause?
Old 01-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantuar View Post
Is your inference that the changes in Pluto (if correct), Mars (if correct), and the Earth are all the same cause?

If so, isn't it odd that the article you link to actually say it cannot be the same cause?
"We don't read the entire article, just the headlines."
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote