Join Early Retirement Today

Masterpiece Theatre on PBS
Old 02-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Masterpiece Theatre on PBS

Don't know if anyone else is watching these shows but I would highly recommend them. They are all BBC productions and are very well done renditions of the classics.

We have been watching Little Dorritt over the past 4 weeks or so. It's a Charles Dickens that I had never heard of, and would have to say it's been some of the best viewing I've ever seen. Over the past few weeks it has featured Dracula, Emma and upcoming is Wuthering Heights.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #2

I love Masterpiece Theatre; I watch it all the time. My other favorite is Agatha Christie's Poirot with David Suchet. We have the collection and watch them as a family all the time.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
gone traveling

We viewed Little Dorritt last season and found it to be an outstanding series.

My wife had an episode of Emma (Woodhouse) on last evening, even though the ratings were not that good for the series, released mid-2009.

Generally, BBC production of the classics are, well "classic" in nature and very well done...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #4

I enjoyed watching Emma. There's something that makes them so charming and relaxing while watching period pieces like that. I felt like giggling like Emma while watching it.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the reminder!

I saw the end of Emma last night on our PBS station. I like the BBC flavor in those adaptations, too, and any Austen, any time, is good IMHO.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #6

We DVR all the episodes so I am only about half way through the first episode of Emma. I find it ok, however I think following on from Little Dorritt it just suffers as being the poor relation for me. However, will see it through to the end. I love period shows, however my fantasy of living back in those days involve living more like Emma than Amy Dorritt.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I checked "Upstairs, Downstairs" out of the library recently and found it didn't interest me as much as it did when it was first broadcast here. Seems like we followed those characters for years. Don't watch much TV now beyond evening surfing, HGTV, and "L&O." Maybe I'll get back into those series as I'm trying to slow down; I do enjoy reading a bit of Dickens here and there; when I was a kid I hated his long descriptions, now that is the part I like best.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I did enjoy Little Dorrit.

The most compelling recent BBC production was the new version of Jane Eyre. I thought it was just incredible. The only downside was that it was produced in the old "squarish" TV format instead of widescreen. But the acting and photography and dramatic impact was just incredible. Masterpiece Theatre | Jane Eyre

There was some controversy/criticism about the story being a little updated/modernized, but I thought they very much kept to the spirit and sensibility of the original.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
We DVR all the episodes so I am only about half way through the first episode of Emma. I find it ok, however I think following on from Little Dorritt it just suffers as being the poor relation for me. However, will see it through to the end. I love period shows, however my fantasy of living back in those days involve living more like Emma than Amy Dorritt.
There are much better versions of the Jane Austen than what have been showing on Masterpiece theater.

A huge exception being the BBC production of "Pride and Prejudice" - the BBC one with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle was really fabulous and I doubt it can be topped. I originally saw this on A&E, but I think they have showed in on Masterpiece theatre within the past year.

I think the Gwyneth Paltrow version of "Emma" is my favorite version. I can't quite remember the name of the british actor in the version of "Sense and Sensibility" that I liked best. Oh wait - that was "Persuasion" - I really liked the version with Ciarán Hinds. I didn't really care for either the Emma Thompson/Hugh Grant version of "Sense and Sensibility" (although I did enjoy Alan Rickman's character) or the more recent BBC version which I really disliked.

One of the wonderful things about that period is that people really appreciated financial independence in terms of living off investment income (not having to work)!

Audrey
Old 02-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I didn't really care for either the Emma Thompson/Hugh Grant version of "Sense and Sensibility" (although I did enjoy Alan Rickman's character) ...
Heresy! That's a great version, even if it is only marginally close to the book.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Heresy! That's a great version, even if it is only marginally close to the book.
Sorry - but I recently saw the last half hour of the movie and that last scene between Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant just made me cringe!!!

Audrey
Old 02-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Sorry - but I recently saw the last half hour of the movie and that last scene between Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant just made me cringe!!!

Audrey
Nope, brings a tear to my eye every time.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #13

Actually I prefer the productions when they feature British actors. Can't stand Gwyneth Paltrow as I think she has gotten where she has based on family connections rather than any acting ability. After the Oscar that was purchased on her behalf for her lame performance in Shakespeare In Love, that turned me off Ms Paltrow forever.

CuppaJoe, know what you mean about Upstairs Downstairs. I can remember as a child watching shows such as Are You Being Served which I thought were hilarious. Now I watch and cringe in embarassment at the crudity and the obviousness of it all.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Tough crowd.... I admit liked Gwyneth in Shakespeare and in Emma.

It's not Masterpiece Theater, but we used to watch BBC's No Honestly in the early/mid 70s and have the two seasons on videotape. It's held up pretty good but then it was a contemporary-at-the-time story, so it is fun to see the cultural references and mores in it. Maybe DH and I will watch a couple of episodes on Valentine's Day and bring back our youth.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I am a Gwyneth Paltrow fan. I thought she was very good in Shakespeare in Love and Emma, and I really enjoyed her in Sliding Doors.

Audrey
Old 02-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #16

I think our enjoyment of actors and films is very personal, just like any artwork. Some will think a Picasso is fantastic whereas the next person will think it is garbled rubbish.

There is something about GP that bothers me. I did enjoy the movie Sliding Doors, I thought the concept was good. Not sure that she added anything that any other actress wouldn't have, but then I didn't switch it off due to her presence.