Join Early Retirement Today

material between the concrete blocks?
Old 06-22-2021, 10:59 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

material between the concrete blocks?

What is the material that is used between the concrete blocks that are visible in an unfinished basement or unfinished garage?
I am not sure what is the proper terminology to use.

mortar?
concrete?

Can I use this ( https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sikaflex...6045/300934496 ) to patch it up ?

retire-early is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2021, 11:15 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

mortar, Most likely type S
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
mortar, Most likely type S
Thank you.

Looks like this ( https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete...2009/100318502 ) is what I need.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire-early View Post
Thank you.

Looks like this ( https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete...2009/100318502 ) is what I need.

What exactly are you trying to do? Are there cracks in the mortar?
Old 06-22-2021, 12:50 PM   #5

Quote:
yes
Old 06-22-2021, 01:04 PM   #6

Quote:

Yeah that should work or this one
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sikaflex...6090/300934529
Old 06-22-2021, 02:24 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a bunch of masonry work done a few years ago (new shop, patio area, etc.). One thing I learned was that in order to match the gray mortar the key was to match the sand used during the preparation of the mortar. In fact, I saved a bucket of the sand pile for any future repairs.

Also, while doing the caulking of the joints (e.g. around the shop's man-door, the patio's granite counter to brink interface, etc.), the contractor would throw sand at the wet caulking. Once it was done, the caulking matches perfect and actually looks like the mortar. Note that you need to let the caulking dry a few days before you disturb it or you will peel the sand particle right back out.
Mark1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:14 PM   #8

finnski1, any reason to use that one over the first choice OP picked ? I have some a couple of cracks I'd like to fix before I paint the exterior block wall again. I wish I had never painted it to begin with but that is another story. I have no clue on these things.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:23 PM   #9

Do the products above work on large cracks in the expansion joint of a patio? I had a guy extend my patio and asked him to fix the existing one and he refused saying it is "supposed to" do that. But its probably 1/4 to 1/2 inch all along the joint. I thought it odd because this was during the estimate - he could have added a fee for the work. I didn't spring it on him as a surprise.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatmath View Post
Do the products above work on large cracks in the expansion joint of a patio? I had a guy extend my patio and asked him to fix the existing one and he refused saying it is "supposed to" do that. But its probably 1/4 to 1/2 inch all along the joint. I thought it odd because this was during the estimate - he could have added a fee for the work. I didn't spring it on him as a surprise.
I suspect he did not want to "fix" the existing expansion joint, because there is no way to really fix it. It really is supposed to open and close with movement (hence the name expansion joint).

There are some caulk products that seem to work OK. But if it is a felt joint, you need to remove the top layer of that or it will not look good. The earlier comment about putting grout sand on the caulk joint is interesting, but I have never tried it.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatmath View Post
finnski1, any reason to use that one over the first choice OP picked ? I have some a couple of cracks I'd like to fix before I paint the exterior block wall again. I wish I had never painted it to begin with but that is another story. I have no clue on these things.
No I don't think there is and frankly I haven't used either but just know that that is what they are for.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:28 PM   #12

Thanks, guys. I think I will try the fence and leave the patio alone.