Math logic puzzler for fun

RunningBum

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Solve this:

1 + 4 = 5
2 + 5 = 12
3 + 6 = 21
5 + 8 = ?

What is the last answer?

I'll post the answer sometime this evening (eastern time), to give people a chance to answer.

I should move this to the "pet peeves" post. Puzzles like this are nice little brain teasers, but the syntax is totally nonsensical and are like nails on a chalkboard to me. The + and = symbols have very specific meaning. One should not just throw around terms such as " 2+5=12".

It is bad math grammar.

Probably more than one answer. The one that stands out to me is 34.

I should move this to the "pet peeves" post. Puzzles like this are nice little brain teasers, but the syntax is totally nonsensical and are like nails on a chalkboard to me. The + and = symbols have very specific meaning. One should not just throw around terms such as " 2+5=12".

It is bad math grammar.

frabz-Bad-math-Papers-bad-math-papers-everywhere-e717f3.jpg

on first look I can see at least 3 answers that could work.... 34, 37 or 45, but I could probably find more that would work also.

The problem with questions like this is it is a more sophisticated version of if a+b=17, what is the value of A?

It is bad math grammar.

+1

Reminds me of those aptitude tests that you had to take in high school. You saw many different possible answers to one question, and you wondered if the folks who wrote the questions even realized that !!

29 works.

Edit: Oops, I didn't read carefully enough. Try:

1 + (4x1) = 5
2 + (5x2) = 12
3 + (6x3) = 21
5 + (8x5) = 45

Last edited:
Any good coder is all over this sort of puzzle since debugging incorrect program output involves looking for patterns.

I'll give 2 hints.

As far as I'm concerned, there is one and only one correct answer. I'll explain when I reveal it.

Don't overthink the math.

1 + (4x1) = 5
2 + (5x2) = 12
3 + (6x3) = 21
5 + (8x5) = 45

Or carry-over math:
1+4=5
[5+] 2+5= 12
[12+] 3+6=21
[21+] 5+8=34

Fun fact: you can google "3 + 6 = 21" for spoilers :)

Anyway, fully agree you can't toss around symbols like this without reframing. Introducing a 'running total' concept removes the convention that every line stands by itself with this notation.

Which is a less gross violation than if '45' would be defined as a possible solution, that's just changing the equation altogether.

It's like the following puzzle:
1 + 4 = 7
2 + 5 = 7
3 + 6 = 8
5 + 8 = ?

Which involves redefining the '+' symbol somewhat. Or a puzzle where you need to change a convention most people don't even realize is there.
1 + 4 = 10
2 + 5 = 12
3 + 6 = 14
5 + 8 = ?

Back
Top Bottom