Join Early Retirement Today

Mathematical analysis: leaving the toilet seat down is inefficient
Old 06-03-2007, 02:22 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mathematical analysis: leaving the toilet seat down is inefficient

The Science Creative Quarterly » THE SOCIAL NORM OF LEAVING THE TOILET SEAT DOWN: A GAME THEORETIC ANALYSIS

I believe this is the first analysis of the subject to include the relative cost of yelling.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think this is an easier to understand analysis for the lay toilet user.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ath-18350.html
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
Administrator

Many years ago, I determined that the least number of seat position changes would occur if the seat is simply left in the position where last used and that such a rule therefore would be the most efficient use of resources in the house. I have repeatedly tried to explain my analysis to the young wife over the years, but she fails to understand my genius and the "seat always down" rule still governs.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:19 PM   #4

Poopy!
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:20 PM   #5

We solve it this way: two bathrooms, his 'n' hers. (this territorial "choice" instituted by him, btw).

Hence I only try to impose an "effort" w/r/t seat position when company is calling.

Guess who wins at "efficiency" (seat always down except for cleaning)? Me.

Guess whose bathroom needs more frequent cleaning? His.
Is it REALLY so emasculating to pee sitting down? Must I kneel to your collective masculinity by weekly wiping piss off the floors and walls? Can we build home toilets at groin level? Will home urinals ever capture the public's imagination?

ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
Administrator

In our recent home remodeling/addition project, I really pushed hard for a urinal. I lost that debate too.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:26 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I lost that debate too.

I hope that didnt surprise you.

My marriage started working out a lot better as soon as I realized that I'm always wrong, and when my wife is wrong, i'm generally still not right.

Its also worth noting that when the spouse complains about the toilet seat, that its almost never about the toilet seat.

We actually have a pretty good system. If its down I put it up. If its up, she puts it down. And I keep cooking the meals, taking care of the house and cars and finances, and watching the baby half the time.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

C'mon, guys, everyone knows that you have to put the toilet seat down.

If you leave it up, then the next time the submarine rocks or takes an angle the toilet seat will clang down on the bowl and cause a noise transient, making the sub detectable from thousands of yards away.

Next we'll discuss why things shouldn't be left lying adrift on horizontal surfaces...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:37 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Anything around here takes a sharp enough turn to make the toilet seat drop, a little noise isnt going to be my biggest problem...
Old 06-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #10

Quote:
My marriage started working out a lot better as soon as I realized that I'm always wrong, and when my wife is wrong, i'm generally still not right.
Does that, or does that not, explain CFB's posts here?
The poor guy has gotta win SOMEwhere.

Gumby, I would go for a urinal in a house with more than one bathroom. Can't explain the "more than one" prejudice.

I like the idea of a urinal someone described to me after visiting a particular inn in CA: a rocky wall with continuous cascading water and a horizontal drain beneath. I think it was the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo.

Found it:
http://www.urinal.net/madonna/

Hmm.. who knew there was a website devoted to urinals!?
Old 06-03-2007, 05:20 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
I think it was the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo.
That is a very nice urinal, and very inspirational, too. You don't have to stand around waiting for motivation to strike, so to speak, and it must be easy to clean.

As an engineer, though, I can't believe that they pay that kind of utility bill to use all that fresh water. I suspect it's recirculating.

I much prefer this urinal setup:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Urinal art.jpg (61.1 KB, 11 views)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #12
gone traveling

Leave the seat down, dudes just sit down when you do #1.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:18 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Girly man.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:26 AM   #14

Seems the waterfall effect is not truly continuous; it's activated by some kind of (infrared?) switch when one approaches.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:34 AM   #15

I have better things to concern myself with. Learned at an early age to check (so I did not "fall in")...later had to have all the household members close the lid to keep the dog out of the bowl.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:00 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Never understood the whole "leave the seat down" thing for the girls...is that just so they don't fall in when they go? In all my years of needing to sit (if you know what I mean) which is maybe 1 out of 4 visits to the bathroom, I have never failed to check nor have I ever fallen in..

do women actually walk into the bathroom backwards, drop their pants/raise their skirt and then fall in? Or do they close their eyes and walk in forward?

You really can't help but notice where the seat position is unless you tried really hard...

In my house, I won this battle years ago..we go with the "Adjust When Necessary" method...and I live in a house that is 4 women/girls and 2 men/boys. And still, never has anyone fallen in...
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
Does that, or does that not, explain CFB's posts here?
The poor guy has gotta win SOMEwhere.

Slow and easy, right over the plate...the only question was who was going to take the swing

So having an opinion and strenuously defending it is bad?
Old 06-04-2007, 09:08 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
I have better things to concern myself with. Learned at an early age to check (so I did not "fall in")...later had to have all the household members close the lid to keep the dog out of the bowl.
I hesitate to admit it, but when we had big dogs we left the lid up just so the dogs could use the toilet as their water bowl.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:14 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
"In a family argument, if it turns out that you are right, apologize at once!" -- from the notebooks of Lazarus Long (AKA Robert A Heinlein)
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:52 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I hesitate to admit it, but when we had big dogs we left the lid up just so the dogs could use the toilet as their water bowl.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYY

You've got some splainin' to do!

I see many of our mods now have new avatars...