Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-31-2012, 07:04 AM   #41
gone traveling

We have a queen size bed, and when staying in a hotel that has king size, we are amazed at how much bigger the kings are. Very suitable for group sex
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Very suitable for group sex

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

I purchased a middle-of-the-road Stearns and Foster mattress (King) approximately four years ago and we sleep absolutely wonderfully on it. For what it's worth, I'd highly recommend the Stearns and Foster brand.

As another person said in a previous comment, I'd also recommend getting the protective mattress cover as well - the last thing you want to do is completely ruin a ~$2,000 investment when your dog decides to pee on the bed!

As for the tempurpedic mattresses, they really weren't my thing. The models I tried left divots that I had a hard time rolling out of (and I'm only 150lbs)...and being able to roll around on my bed comfortably is priority number one .
jimday1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimday1982 View Post
As for the tempurpedic mattresses, they really weren't my thing. The models I tried left divots that I had a hard time rolling out of (and I'm only 150lbs)...and being able to roll around on my bed comfortably is priority number one .
This is a concern for me as well. Even when I am sleeping alone I love to roll around a lot on my king sized bed, and this helps me to unwind. I don't think I would enjoy sleeping if the mattress cut back on my rolling.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
We have a queen size bed, and when staying in a hotel that has king size, we are amazed at how much bigger the kings are. Very suitable for group sex
Hmmmmm. You must stay at the same hotels as Tiger.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

With interest rates so low, I am surprised that nobody has mentioned using cash to fill a mattress. I would think it would provide some piece of mind to have a goodly supply of cash if the whole world goes to hell and hand basket (never figured out the origins of this phrase.). I would think cash would be firm yet pretty soft and so would a pretty could material for sleeping on.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:31 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
With interest rates so low, I am surprised that nobody has mentioned using cash to fill a mattress. I would think it would provide some piece of mind to have a goodly supply of cash if the whole world goes to hell and hand basket (never figured out the origins of this phrase.). I would think cash would be firm yet pretty soft and so would a pretty could material for sleeping on.

It is going to hell in a handbasket.... see link...

Going to hell in a handbasket

But, money that is stacked nicely is pretty hard... heck, the bricks that come from the Treasury are VERY hard... I guess you can wad them up a bit, but then you can not store enough

PS... I did get the joke... just wanted to make a comment
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #48

Quote:
With interest rates so low, I am surprised that nobody has mentioned using cash to fill a mattress. I would think it would provide some piece of mind to have a goodly supply of cash if the whole world goes to hell and hand basket.
This is why people shouldn't do that!

Woman mistakenly junks $1 million bed - World news - Weird news - msnbc.com
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
In addition, the attorneys I've talked to say the gubmint frowns on it.
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:55 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
This is a concern for me as well. Even when I am sleeping alone I love to roll around a lot on my king sized bed, and this helps me to unwind. I don't think I would enjoy sleeping if the mattress cut back on my rolling.
Tempurpedic will definitely cut down on your rolling, but I don't think you'll notice because you will fall asleep much faster. You also wont notice if your partner rolls around at all. I stood an iPhone on its side on the mattress and had my son jump on the bed the phone didn't move.

I keep hearing about heat retention. I swear Ive never noticed it even here in Texas. Ive never felt like I needed to move to a cool spot.

Also, our Tempurpedic is considerably lower than our old pillow top regular mattress. I do think it comes in different thicknesses though depending on how firm you want it. The thicker it is, the softer it is. Ours is very firm.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:14 PM   #51
Dryer sheet wannabe

The Temperpedic was NOT for me or DW. We tried one for two nights and both hated it. I had the worst backache of my life and DW also had back pain. We returned it and got a very firm conventional matress.

The best mattress I have slept on was a SleepNumber cranked up to 100. I had one for two weeks at a hotel and loved it. I can't talk DW into one, though, as it's too unconventional for her.
CalTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:52 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimday1982 View Post
… when your dog decides to pee on the bed!.
"Honey, the dog peed the bed!"

"We don't have a dog..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

One of Leno's headlines segments had a classified ad that read: "Queen-sized mattress. Slight urine smell."
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That's an interesting question. I wonder if $100 bills feel the same as dollar bills?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Just got back from the mattress store, where I "test drove" various models of Tempurpedic. I was amazed at how comfortable the Tempurpedic Rhapsody mattress is, for me. It isn't cheap, but I think it just might be the perfect mattress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
"Old lady" observation about bedroom sets. Many of today's mattress setups result in a bed that you need a step ladder to climb on. Before you buy a box spring determine how high you want your bed to be. Also, take a look at your fitted sheets. You may find that your sheets won't fit the new mattress. A decent sheet set can easily cost $60+.
The perfect height for the mattress for me is 17"-18" off the floor (the height of the demo in the store was 17", and that was fine but an inch higher would work as well). Anything 20" or higher would be too high. (Thanks, Brat, for the post that I quoted above that alerted me to this possible issue. Also thanks again, I will allow some in the budget for new sheets.)

I am going to buy new bedroom furniture first because I want it and I don't like my old bed. I can save $400 by choosing a platform bed, because I wouldn't have to buy the Tempurpedic box springs equivalent. So now, my next quest is to find a decent quality platform bed of the correct height, and matching dresser and so on.

Most furniture these days seems pretty shoddy but hopefully I can find something reasonable. Sturdy, functional, and pretty would be nice but I am so picky.

The mattress salesman didn't seem too eager at all. I guess he figured I'd probably buy the Tempurpedic online, since we have a nearly 10% sales tax here and since these mattresses cost the same wherever one buys them. Maybe when I am ready to buy, I could get him to throw in free delivery and setup, some free sheets and pillows, or something along those lines since I can't haggle.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Just got back from the mattress store, where I "test drove" various models of Tempurpedic. I was amazed at how comfortable the Tempurpedic Rhapsody mattress is, for me. It isn't cheap, but I think it just might be the perfect mattress.
Now sign up for your SS and the let the Government pay for the new Mattress.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Now sign up for your SS and the let the Government pay for the new Mattress.
I could do that.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #58

We felt like a Temperpedic we slept on at a friend's home retained heat, so we bought a select comfort (sleep number bed). It's about 6 years old and we absolutely love it! Love, love, love it. My back has completely stopped aching.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Way late to the thread, but I think it depends somewhat on how you sleep, stomach, side or back. We've had a waterbed, medium innerspring, firm innerspring, sleep number and natural latex foam - IOW, everything but a memory foam (TemperPedic) because of concern about heat retention. We hated the sleep number, but we're side and stomach sleepers. For a back sleeper, I suspect sleep number would be ideal. And I suspect it's harder to make friends with a mattress the older we all are.

OP probably decided a while ago...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Has anyone tried the Serta iiComfort? It looks to be a Tempurpedic with technology to keep it cooler.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote