Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Mattress Suggestions For Platform Bed
Old 01-07-2019, 02:05 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mattress Suggestions For Platform Bed

Only need a single mattress (no box spring)
Will be purchasing the following bed (Queen Size)
https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pd...iid=2022504521

I presently have a platform bed, & single mattress, both of which were purchased at the same time almost 20 years ago. A lot has changed since then, so I'd appreciate any input as to some of the new stuff available.
Memory foam, etc

I suppose this is what anyone would ask, but I don't want to sink down into a mattress, but also don't want to feel as if I'm laying on a board

Thanks in advance
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2019, 02:15 PM   #2
Administrator

https://sleeponlatex.com/

Best bed ever.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:25 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Zinus foam mattress via Amazon. Unbox and let expand. Air out for a day before use. I like soft beds and I love it. DH likes firm beds and he loves it. May not last 15 years but for the price I can replace it several times
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

https://casper.com We have had this for a couple years and very much like it. At the time we tested one at a West Elm store and ultimately ordered on-line. Now it looks like they have a few stores, or you can see them at Target.
Chapter 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:08 PM   #5

Lots of suggestions in this thread from a year or so ago:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ons-89078.html
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

BedInABox.com has great memory foam mattresses made in the USA. The prices are very reasonable and their service is just great. We have two mattresses and one has a Leggett & Platt adjustable bed frame under it that came with Magic Fingers.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Tuft and needle. We love it.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Great mattress research resource here (Mattress Underground):

Quote:
Buying a new mattress is one of the most important purchases you can make and there are few things that will have as big an effect on your overall wellbeing over the next decade or so. Learn the truth about different mattresses, construction methods, and materials so you can be armed with helpful information in your search for the perfect mattress.
https://www.themattressunderground.com/
Old 01-07-2019, 06:02 PM   #9

I love 100% latex because it is breathable, it won't sag, and you can get the firmness you like. If it's too firm, you can add a softer latex mattress topper or an eggcrate latex topper (the egg crate design softens the latex).

That being said, I recently slept on an Tuft and Needle mattress at an Airbnb and it was awesome. They had Tuft and Needle pillows that were also awesome. I think the company gives you 90 or 100 days to test the product.

I like 100% cotton jersey sheets because they are also breathable.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:40 PM   #10

We like latex foam as well, but the softer the better. We were able to go to a local latex shop and specify the firmness and thickness of each layer, and try it out, which was great.

For a cheap mattress I like a cheap foam mattress with a 4" memory foam topper. Too soft for most I'm sure, but again you can adjust to taste with a different topper.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:53 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Am a fan of a firm bed, and in our home we've had joy with Saatva's firmest model. Not the cheapest but really comfy and a good night's sleep is a pleasure that keeps on giving. Their regular is noticeably less firm which apparently most people prefer.

For short stop needs, I've used a mattress topper on a sofa bed with decent results (considering the sofa bed on its own is a back breaker). Just to say, you definitely can use affordable toppers to make adjustments to a mattress if the need arises.
Hibernian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:28 PM   #12

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:56 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have a good mattress from Denver Mattress Company on our platform bed. Very comfortable. They have a good store for trying out.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:48 AM   #14

We bit the bullet and bought a Saatva. 120 day sleep trial, they will pick up mattress and give a refund or give you a new mattress, no questions asked, shipping and return included. My friend recommended this mattress, she has one, and said great things about the company/customer service. The mattress we chose was $2000(king size) but DH was having terrible back and hip aches during sleep. We were desperate. It's worth a try.

https://www.saatva.com/
I also bought their pillow. They gave me 3 months to see if I liked it. They sent inserts, all no charge for shipping/returning. I did not like the pillow in the end. I shipped it back at no cost to me, refund very quickly.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:37 AM   #15

The progression I've seen is the following:

1. Hybrid - springs + memory foam + latex (Best of all worlds sort of design)
2. Flippable - Dual sided so you can flip, rotate and extend the life

Amazon has some good prices on hybrid/flippable mattresses.

I would start there.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:56 AM   #16

In March of last year, we purchased a Serta Perfect Sleeper firm innerspring mattress with a tight-top covering (no pillow-top sewn to the top of the mattress). It is towards the board side of your mattress description. We chose this to be used as a base under a mattress topper. Purchased a 2" Milliard memory foam topper online that comes in a removable zippered enclosed fabric covering for cleaning. We use mattress pad over mattress and topper, and also use a heated mattress pad for winter months (hate getting into a cold bed - turn it off when in bed). Flannel sheets in winter also works well for us.

This scenario allows for rotating the mattress and/or topper for even wear, and longer life. Plan is to replace the lesser expensive topper if/when showing wear, and keeping the mattress base longer. This is possible as the mattress has no sewn on topper that may not be removed. Failure of the sewn on topper has been the issue with the last two mattresses we've owned (we are not heavy people). It breaks down and we end up with two gullies where we sleep and rotating is useless (replacement inevitable). FYI - mattress toppers will not correct a mattress with a failed sewn-on topper. Wonder if the "My Pillow" guy runs into this issue now that he's gotten into mattress toppers....

So far so good, and mattress and topper are holding up extremely well. No noticeable compression issues or heat problems with memory foam topper (maybe due to fabric cover). Sleeping on memory foam topper is very comfortable, and get a good night's sleep (I suffer from sleep apnea).

Got this idea from Consumer reports online when they did their mattress reviews and they suggested this approach. Toppers come in many depths, densities, and materials to meet everyone's idea of a comfortable bed.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
Zinus foam mattress via Amazon. Unbox and let expand. Air out for a day before use. I like soft beds and I love it. DH likes firm beds and he loves it. May not last 15 years but for the price I can replace it several times
+1 and amazing to watch!
Old 01-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Watch this - Adam ruins everything - mattresses: