Maybe taking a driving trip to Florida

My Dream

Full time employment: Posting here.
For a couple years now our 20 year old son has been hounding us to buy his own car. Since I'm retired I told him he can drive mine when ever he wants. Well he's already taken over my car and done a few mods to it, but every 6 months it comes up again, can I get my own car?? He's paying for it and knows I bought my first car when I was 18. He's in his second year of College and plans to go for a third since he's doing well and hold down a job.
Three weeks ago we finally broke down based partially on my history and told him yes………. with his own money. Well within a day the ads starting showing up in my email, link after link re the same year and model cars. Yesterday he asked that I make an offer on two cars and today I'm suppose to purchase one since I’ve already contacted the seller yesterday and we’ve pretty well agreed on a price.
Since the car is located in the States and we're in Canada it makes it a bit more complicated and based on the sellers outstanding loan he wants me to help him through it. Well doesn’t this make it even more complicated.
My son has money in hand and is excited, but I'm not, well let me rephrase that, I'm no where near as excited….. if you get my drift. The seller told me yesterday that he would prefer to sell locally but I assured him, (stupid me) that I would help him through this, even though I’ve never done this before.
I'm going to call the seller today to accept his price. If the deal goes through it looks as though I'll be driving to New Smyrna Beach Florida with no pre planning or budget and whipping money out of thin air to help my wonderful Firkin son out. Sorry I had to get that last piece of lemon out of my mouth.
I knew how excited I was to get my first car when I was 18 and the fact my father helped me………… and put myself in his place, maybe that piece of lemon won't return. At the moment I'm tired, half asleep, but I can image how tired he must be between College, homework, holding down a job, and staying up at night searching the internet for his dream car.

I hope I'm not.........I am...........I'm not..........am.......................going to Florida tomorrow.

Oh how we love our kids.

Free to a good home:

Anyone want a fairly independent 20 year old that's in school?

Life father like son when it comes to vehicles? :)

Free to a good home:

Anyone want a fairly independent 20 year old that's in school?
Nah...just the thought of a kid makes me tired. Enjoy your road trip. :flowers:

How did you guess, except his will/maybe 29 years newer. Oh the memories.
Because...I'll never forget your car....;)

266204654.jpg

I'm puzzled. He's 20, has a job, has the cash, knows what he wants and where to find it.

What does he need you for?

The only advice I can offer is do the transaction in the lobby of the bank that holds the note on the car to verify everything. Personally, if the seller doesn't have a clear title on a used car I'd run away from it.

The only car your son is interested is in New Smyrna Beach, Florida? Nothing north of the border that doesn't involve the title held up with the current owner's outstanding loan? And you have to be involved in the transaction?

Because...I'll never forget your car....;)
You still amaze me.....but then I'm sure you've heard that before.
Make sure you stop and spend a few days or a week with your buddies(recent houseguests) in New York City!
The married couple still live with there parents, hmmmmm.
I'm puzzled. He's 20, has a job, has the cash, knows what he wants and where to find it.

What does he need you for?

The only advice I can offer is do the transaction in the lobby of the bank that holds the note on the car to verify everything. Personally, if the seller doesn't have a clear title on a used car I'd run away from it.
This is his first car purchase therefore I have more experience.
I'm retired therefore I have more time.
I've owned a Corvette for 36 years therefore I know the Corvette he's buying more then my son.
I can haggle much better then my son can.
People take me more seriously then a 20 year old is purchasing this type of car.

I could go on, but hope the list above helps.

Good advice on the clear title which he's attempting to do.
The only car your son is interested is in New Smyrna Beach, Florida? Nothing north of the border that doesn't involve the title held up with the current owner's outstanding loan? And you have to be involved in the transaction?
The Corvette he's looking at is a limited edition where as only 2025 were made and only a few hundred sold in Canada. One 5 are being sold in Canada with at least a $7000.00 higher price tag. He seems to have clear vision as to what he wants and maybe follow in his dads footsteps. He found one with 9000 miles on it and wants to buy it from the original owner.

Here is a picture of a 2004 Commerative Edition Z16 Corvette. They only came in one colour.

Z06_1.jpg

Lemasnz%20%286%29.jpg

The Corvette he's looking at is a limited edition where as only 2025 were made and only a few hundred sold in Canada. One 5 are being sold in Canada with at least a $7000.00 higher price tag. He seems to have clear vision as to what he wants and maybe follow in his dads footsteps. He found one with 9000 miles on it and wants to buy it from the original owner.

Here is a picture of a 2004 Commerative Edition Z16 Corvette. They only came in one colour.

Ah, I understand. Very personal reasons for that particular car. You and your son sound like you are very close in many wonderful ways--have a good trip :) .

Thanks for sharing that picture Poundkey, It almost seems like the two blues are a different colour. My son isn't really into the "hash marks", but then to each there own.

The hash marks are the two grey and red strips on the drivers side fender which were added to the car after purchase. There's a story behind it.

img_912942_0_44d7222b938efed5eede96868c9ca87c.jpg

img_912942_1_c72cb1bfe1c39a0e5794038805612318.jpg

I will not be driving the car cross country unfortunatly it will be trailered home. But I must agree, maybe one day my son will let me do so or I'll do it in my own.

Well I'm still in Florida and almost feel like I'm wrestling a gator when I'm dealing with the seller online. In person he's ok, but he's agressive when it comes to getting his money and he still doesn't have clear title.

The saga continues.

Well pardner...sounds like you might need a gunslinger...
smiley-char092.gif
....or a blindfold for that gator.

...in the meantime, try to enjoy your stay. We'll be here waitin' on ya. ;)

Is he trying to use your money to pay off the loan and to get clear title? That's a fairly normal transaction for a car dealer to go through (paying off a loan to get a clear title after the transaction has been finalized) , but it can be a little problematic for an individual. If the bank is local and all you have to do is show up at the bank, pay off the loan, and get the title handed to you that's OK. However, if the bank is out of town and you have to mail the payoff to get the title I would be a little concerned.

Sorry for the late reply, been in Florida for the past 3 weeks trying to make this deal go through and stayed with friends. Sort of pay it forward type deal.

No the seller paid off the loan with his own money and we finally got clear title. Car arrived via transport yesterday night and was so dirty from the trip that I washed it this morning even though I knew it would rain on me for a bit. It's safely tucked away beside my Vette in the garage and all is well since...... "I'm Back Home".

My payment was my son’s hug and kiss when he said, "I love you dad, thanks so much for everything", and repeated it twice this morning before he left for school. I didn't know what to say and just melted as he walked away since he was running late due to working late yesterday night.

I was actually suprised when my wife told me he was on his best behaviour while I was away. Just imagine huh?

The drama is over...............thank goodness.

I'm BAAAAAAAAAACK!

Hey...glad you made it back home safely!

Ummm, hmmm...you are a great dad indeed. I imagine your son will behave rather well for months to come. :D

Back
Top Bottom