Join Early Retirement Today

Mecum Auto Auction for the car guys
Old 04-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mecum Auto Auction for the car guys

We are members of the local Mustang Car club so we got free tickets to go to the Mecum Auction at Reliant in Houston . I think over four days they were auctioning off 1000 collectable cars . We went with another couple so both couples got bidders pass. DW took my bidder pass so I could not bid , I seen so many wonderful cars that went so reasonable .
Several cars over 100K and several under 10K There was one of the 2 seater convertible Cadillac's . One of the ones that is a corvette with a Cadillac body 55000 miles . A guy bought it for his son's first car 22000.00 Man I liked that car. A 1966 GTO completely redone 200 miles since resto. 45000.00 It is so cool to be sitting next to someone who wins a bid for their dream car . Maybe next year I will be buying that special Mustang GT Shelby .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Your wife sounds pretty smart
Old 04-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
... One of the ones that is a corvette with a Cadillac body 55000 miles . A guy bought it for his son's first car 22000.00 Man I liked that car. ... that special Mustang GT Shelby ...
Quite a few years ago I bought a 1968 GT500KR convert, fixed a small engine problem, and turned it for a couple of $K profit. Met the buyer/kid and his dad at the bank, where dad was co-signing the loan.

After I had the cashier check in my hot little hand, I took the dad aside and said: "Do you understand that your son has just bought a 140mph car that will neither turn nor stop?"

"Oh."
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #4

I have a friend who has gone to several of these. His comment was "buy at Mecum, sell at Barrett-Jackson".

DW is an old car buff, and sometime in the near future we will go to one of these. BUT, she doesn't get the bidder's pass. That could be dangerous. Her dream car is a 1955-56 T-Bird.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Nice!!! Went to Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale last year. I’m going to Mecum in Indy next month. It’s a blast. I never realized they have cars that I could actually afford at these auctions. I’m kinda scared of getting a bidder’s pass.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:34 PM   #6

Ordered my bidders pass for Indianapolis for my buddy and I last month. Not going to bid but just enjoy the experience.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:59 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I went to Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale this year also. I had a blast, got to meet some really interesting and nice people there, saw some GREAT cars, and managed to walk about 15,000 +/- steps both days I was there. Be prepared to walk...a LOT.
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #8

DH gets a gang together and they spend at least a day each time it comes to town. I enjoy watching it on TV, especially when they're in Florida & California. It's crazy how much some of those cars go for. Like more than we paid for all the houses we've ever owned.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:42 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

As of yesterday, this is the newest addition to our family. No, it's not mine and not from Mecum or Barret.
It should arrive from Florida in several days I'm told.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Chevro...QAAOSwwJJcvms3

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:22 AM   #10

My DW and I enjoy watching the auctions on TV. We have both said we would like to go to one. But, then the temptation to buy would materialize. Then we would need to purchase a bigger house with a 3+ car garage. It gets expense in a hurry! Maybe we should stick to watching on TV.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:54 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I went to the mother of all Mecum's at Kissimmee, FL a couple years ago. I was itching to buy an older C5 Corvette and almost pulled the trigger on a couple but chickened out. They had over 300 Corvettes alone at this auction, and a total of about 3000 vehicles. Truly amazing stuff on display.
BTW, my itch for an older vette kind of went a way so it was probably a good move not to buy one. I still love to look at them.
cbo111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
BTW, my itch for an older vette kind of went a way so it was probably a good move not to buy one. I still love to look at them.
you can get a decent C4 for about $5K now