medical insurance through staffing agency or ?

broadway

Full time employment: Posting here.
There is a chance that I may get a contract part-time job through a staffing agency. When I worked for this staffing agency three years ago, they offered ACA-compliant medical insurance with Aetna. I am with Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield now.

Am I required to switch medical insurance?

I really don't want to. It is after all a contract job. And I also like HBCBS better.

I think you need to ask the HR person.
But since you're part time- I suspect they'd prefer NOT insuring you.

Every place that I ever worked that offered health insurance taking it was entirely optional. Some people get it via a spouse's job that is cheaper or better coverage so there would be no point in paying for two insurance policies.

Here you go: https://www.healthcare.gov/have-job-based-coverage/options/

Summary: no, you don't have to take employer insurance, but if you are eligible for it and choose your own insurance, you won't get a subsidy (my interpretation from the link)

If you have job-based coverage, you might be able to change to a Marketplace plan. But you probably won’t qualify for a premium tax credit or other savings. As long as the job-based plan is considered affordable and meets minimum standards, you won’t qualify for savings. Most job-based plans meet these standards.

Back
Top Bottom