Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Then again, right here in the US we have drug manufacturers who's processes and safety are far from acceptable. Two facilities here in Mass were shut down recently as per the CNN story below.

Pharmacy agrees to $100 million settlement after meningitis outbreak - CNN.com
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Then again, right here in the US we have drug manufacturers who's processes and safety are far from acceptable. Two facilities here in Mass were shut down recently as per the CNN story below.

Pharmacy agrees to $100 million settlement after meningitis outbreak - CNN.com
That's a story about compounding pharmacies and not pharmaceutical drug production. <strike>The former are not regulated and inspected by the FDA, the latter are. </strike> The FDA's budget has been whacked and their oversight apparatus is spread pretty thin and they don't have the resources to inspect the proliferation of compounding pharmacies. In the case of these facilities, the state also failed to provide adequate supervision.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Never. I may start getting my medications fron Colorado, though.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Never. I may start getting my medications fron Colorado, though.
Gypsy Ed, you may be on to something here. A most excellent example of thinking outside the box...
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #25
gone traveling

I find the efficacy of many US generics to be questionable, and suspect getting drugs from India might even be more so, if not outright dangerous. Also, with respect to some of these drugs from other countries, is there any assurance such drugs were manufactured in the country of origin?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:53 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
The CBC did a study of online drug pharmacies operating in Canada. They discovered that the source country for the drugs was the same as for the name brand. So if Pfizer was sourcing from Holland, so was the pharmacy. I believe this was to avoid US import duties.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:43 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Does anyone have a particular Canadian online pharmacy that they would recommend or have a trusted source that rates there pharmacies?

I think that DW is really getting ripped off a drug that she has been prescribed and we'd like to try the Canada route. We could even drive there as we are 30 minutes from the border, if that would make more sense.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:04 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Even if you get drugs and medications here, there is no guarantee that they are made here. Many are made in China anyway.

I would rather an Indian pharmacy than a Chinese one.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration was quoted as stating that at least 81 deaths were believed to be linked to a raw heparin ingredient imported from the People's Republic of China, and that they had also received 785 reports of serious injuries associated with the drug’s use
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_C...n_adulteration
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:24 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Does anyone have a particular Canadian online pharmacy that they would recommend or have a trusted source that rates there pharmacies?

I think that DW is really getting ripped off a drug that she has been prescribed and we'd like to try the Canada route. We could even drive there as we are 30 minutes from the border, if that would make more sense.
Try these threads. They are OLD but nothing has changed.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...eds-45452.html

Look at the end of this one: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ugs-41484.html
Old 09-04-2015, 10:25 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I bought drugs here in the US, the bottle said they were made in Ireland (lazy pharmacist didn't bother to re-bottle it in their generic bottle).

I have bought drugs in Canada, directly at the drugstore. I got a prescription from my doc as the drug here is only available with prescription, but in Canada it's over the counter.
I wanted the prescription just in case Customs had an issue with it since it had codeine in it, my prescription said I could buy 300 (it was only $12).

Since you are so close, and depending upon the cost of the prescription it could be a big savings, especially with the 30% benefit of the exchange rate these days.
Go with a prescription, and have a copy of it in your bag (in case Customs searches).
Don't know if they will accept a US doc, but if not phone doc's and ask them how much to re-write the prescription in Canadian
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:12 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Don't know if they will accept a US doc, but if not phone doc's and ask them how much to re-write the prescription in Canadian
The prescription will need to be reviewed and rewritten by a physician licensed in Canada. Online pharmacies are set up to work with physicians who are willing to do this, but retail pharmacies may not be. The issue for physicians is that professional licensing bodies in several provinces have disciplined physicians who provide prescriptions without having examined the patient. If you need to visit a Canadian physician for an exam and prescription, you will need to pay for the service, which is not covered by Medicare. I suggest you find a pharmacy and a physician willing to provide these services before crossing the border.

Since travelover lives in Michigan, the relevant province is Ontario. Here is a link to the prescribing policy of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. See "General Expectations".

http://www.cpso.on.ca/Policies-Publi...scribing-Drugs

There are several internet pharmacies based in Manitoba. The policy of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba on this issue is very succinct:

http://cpsm.mb.ca/statement-no-805-prescribing-practice

Basically, an exam is required, and if not done, the physician is breaking the rules and risks professional discipline.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:01 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
The prescription will need to be reviewed and rewritten by a physician licensed in Canada. .........
It is funny how the US FDA tells us that Canadian pharmacies cannot be trusted and the Canadian government tells us that US physicians cannot be trusted. Me thinks that Big Pharma is a ventriloquist.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:04 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
It is funny how the US FDA tells us that Canadian pharmacies cannot be trusted and the Canadian government tells us that US physicians cannot be trusted. Me thinks that Big Pharma is a ventriloquist.
As they say: "Sequere Pecuniam" (Follow the money)
Old 09-05-2015, 08:33 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
The prescription will need to be reviewed and rewritten by a physician licensed in Canada. ...
I just give my US doctor the fax number of my pharmacy. They don't know or care where it is, as far as I can tell.

You can save a bundle (an 80% discount is common and a 95% discounts have been spotted) on drugs that have gone generic outside of the US, but somehow they've managed to prevent generics in the US. Otherwise, there's less money to be saved, but even brand name drugs are sold cheaper in places where the ability to pay is less, but nothing like the generic vs brand discounts.
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Digital media is also a lot cheaper in India and China, so while you are obtaining your illegal drugs, might as well pick up copies of your favorite movies and software!

By the way, did you know a drug manufacturer can be sued if someone takes a generic version of their drug and has a problem, even if the manufacturer had no part in the manufacture or distribution of that drug.
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:42 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Digital media is also a lot cheaper in India and China, so while you are obtaining your illegal drugs, might as well pick up copies of your favorite movies and software!...........
I think I might do that . Do you have any names for recommended Canadian on-line pharmacies like I requested in my post above?
Old 09-05-2015, 10:46 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Many of the large drug chains enable reorders by phone and renewed prescriptions by FAX so it might be worth your while to set that up if you are spending a lot of money.

My biggest concern is with the FDA. They seem to hold sway over Canadian Drug Companies.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've phoned prescriptions to Canadian pharmacies for patients. I gave them my US license and DEA numbers and they were fine with it. It was blood pressure or diabetes stuff. I plan on asking my doctor to send my HRT refill to canadadrugs.com next month.

I have also purchased medications for myself (don't remember where) and my dogs (petshed.com) from Australia and topical retin-A from India (alldaychemist.com).

Each individual pharmaceutical medication is normally made in a very small number of plants and distributed worldwide. Regardless of the country where it was purchased, it's likely to have come from the same plant. There is just no difference between the medication you purchase in the US and its Canadian equivalent.

Counterfeit medication is more of a problem, but if you buy from a big, first world, on-line retailer, you're unlikely to receive counterfeits. Alldaychemist in India has a good reputation and the retin-A certainly smells like the real thing, but I would hesitate to buy something more crucial from them.

Generics are also usually not a problem when they are normal tablets. Extended or controlled release tablets require much more complex manufacturing and generic versions may or may not release their active ingredients with exactly the same time profile.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

+1 for Canadadrugs.com.

Recommended by my veterinarian for a specialty medicine for my dog that is not available in the U.S. Very friendly customer service, accept a fax from the vet/doctor, and sources from one of several countries where the drug is made.

- Rita
Old 09-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

This thread is going to the dogs!