Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Mega Millions 2022
Old 07-29-2022, 02:41 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mega Millions 2022

There's a very old thread, so made a new one.

I have played the lottery fewer than 10 times in my life, but bought a ticket today, with the 1 billion$ prize and all, just to have something to focus my imagination.

But the last time I bought a ticket must have been some years before my retirement in 2018, and now that I've bought it, it's much easier to see the downsides of winning than it was before I left working life. Before, I could imagine it freeing me from fear and anxiety, now it's easy to imagine a winning ticket incurring fear and anxiety.

Interesting change in perspective and shows me how grateful I am to have retired when I did.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2022, 02:47 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We also bought them, which is rare. Wondering what we would buy is a nice short term fantasy in retirement.
Old 07-29-2022, 02:48 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Winning $1B. I can't imagine a more effective way to totally screw up my life and that of my family. No way am I buying a ticket.
Old 07-29-2022, 02:50 PM   #4

I see nothing to worry about with winning. You could skim a few million off the top and give the rest away. Let’s get that win before we worry about how to handle it.
Old 07-29-2022, 02:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Winning $1B. I can't imagine a more effective way to totally screw up my life and that of my family. No way am I buying a ticket.
Well, there's an easy way to fix it if one thinks buying the winning ticket was a mistake. Write a very large check to one's favorite charity.
Old 07-29-2022, 02:54 PM   #6

If we win (figure $350M after taxes), we'll take the cash option and put about $300M in a foundation and hire someone to manage it. Give away lots to family and friends. Live off of the rest.
Old 07-29-2022, 02:56 PM   #7

I occasionally buy one when there’s an extraordinarily large jackpot as there is at the moment. But I have to chuckle at my inconsistency - it’s worth risking a couple of bucks for a chance at $1B but throwing away my money to do the same when the jackpot is “only” a couple of million?
Old 07-29-2022, 03:03 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

The odds are so bad you would need to pick the right inch in 4775 miles. In other words, the right inch between Kansas City and the East Coast of Russia. Good Luck
Old 07-29-2022, 03:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Well, there's an easy way to fix it if one thinks buying the winning ticket was a mistake. Write a very large check to one's favorite charity.
Sure, but how do you keep the fact you won an unbelievable amount of money from family and friends? Yes, there are confidentiality measures by the lottery commission, but will you or your spouse be able to keep the fact you won quiet forever? And if it gets out will your family and friends resent the fact you gave it to charity and didn't share with them? And if you do keep a portion to share with them, will they be unhappy you didn't share more? And where do you draw the line on who you share it with? And on and on and on...

I see far more opportunity for resentment and strife than for positive benefit in winning a huge lottery payout. Guess that's a downside of having enough.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sure, but how do you keep the fact you won an unbelievable amount of money from family and friends? Yes, there are confidentiality measures by the lottery commission, but will you or your spouse be able to keep the fact you won quiet forever? And if it gets out will your family resent the fact you gave it to charity and didn't share with them? And if you do keep a portion to share with them, will they be unhappy you didn't share more? And where do you draw the line on who you share it with? And on and on and on...

I see far more opportunity for resentment and strife than for positive benefit in winning a huge lottery payout. Guess that's a downside of having enough.
I feel the same way. Even if we decide to give most of it away (and we would), and even if there is no resentment from family and friends (there will be) it just sounds like W*RK to go though all the effort.

That said, DW will probably tell me to get a ticket tonight

Side note: We know a couple that won around $2million. That was just the right size for them to win. Late fifty's when they won. Both retired within a year of winning with decent pensions and they took the annuity. $75 grand of BTD money every year.

Not enough for the distant relatives to come out of the woodwork, but enough to enjoy themselves and spoil the kids and grandkids.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Side note: We know a couple that won around $2million. That was just the right size for them to win. Late fifty's when they won. Both retired within a year of winning with decent pensions and they took the annuity. $75 grand of BTD money every year.

Not enough for the distant relatives to come out of the woodwork, but enough to enjoy themselves and spoil the kids and grandkids.
Yep, a million or two would be far less likely to cause problems.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:21 PM   #12

Everybody send me $2. If your numbers match the drawing I promise I’ll pay you $1B.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:30 PM   #13
Administrator

Perchik : Money is the world's curse.
Tevye : May the Lord smite me with it. And may I never recover!

Old 07-29-2022, 03:31 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I occasionally buy one when there’s an extraordinarily large jackpot as there is at the moment. But I have to chuckle at my inconsistency - it’s worth risking a couple of bucks for a chance at $1B but throwing away my money to do the same when the jackpot is “only” a couple of million?

The NPV starts to become positive around $600 mill...
Old 07-29-2022, 03:31 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

If I were to win , I'm sure there would be 5 or 10 other winners. But I could live with that.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:31 PM   #16

I bought 15 tickets.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:36 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

If I could buy a ticket by a simple tap of an app, I might.

But I'm not about to go out and physically buy a ticket at a convenient store or gas station for a measly $1 billion.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:41 PM   #18

I had the entire inside of my house painted in late May. When they moved the refrigerator there was $20 bill there.
It’s been on the fridge ever since.
I used it this morning to stop by a 7-11 and buy $20 worth- so 10 sets of numbers.
I figure it’s a lucky $20. [emoji256]
Old 07-29-2022, 04:06 PM   #19

The standard advice is to hire a lawyer, a CPA, and a fee financial planner. If anyone asks you for money, tell them to talk to your lawyer.
Old 07-29-2022, 04:08 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I think the lotto is a cruel tax and worse to win than to lose. My BFF ($500K in debt at 78) buys at least 10 tickets a week (probably more now.) I love him like a brother and despise the folks who came up with the lotto.

I have no issue with "gaming" for those who can afford it. I used to bet a cup of coffee on my "home team" and if folks bought ONE lotto ticket, no one gets hurt. BUT the lotto only works when people bet irresponsibly! Otherwise, the current 1.2 B prize would be 20 million. Big winners are hounded by grifters and usually end up divorced, broke, dependent and miserable. What's not to like?

Sorry for the rant. It's personal. MY BFF has plenty of problems and he doesn't need more though YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Closed Thread