Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Memorable Date with a former subordinate ... things we can laugh at today
Old 06-12-2017, 05:39 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Memorable Date with a former subordinate ... things we can laugh at today

It was a close knit little company and I was the accounting manager for a few years. I hired Kristy as a bookkeeper shortly before I landed a job with the megacorp that I've been with 35 years. I called over there to say hello to some old friends after several months and Kristy got on the line. "You know Ray now that I don't work for you we can date..." No doubt about it Kristy was a looker but I did remember something about a boyfriend... "so I didn't you have a boyfriend or something?" "He's out of the picture"

I picked her up and noted she sure was dolled up - the conversation flowed easily during the meal at a seafood joint and later on a stroll by the water. I drove her home and she said "park there and we can talk. " I'm thinking there will be smooching. We chatted a few minutes when in the distance two head lights appear she gazes into the distance and says "Oh My God it's my boyfriend" my computer like intellect processes that phrase, that will live in infamy, and I say to myself - Oh My God indeed and why do these things happen to me?

The mouse under my left eye really wasn't that bad. (I must admit to remembering my jaw was a little sore) at least my father and brother had a good belly laugh. What really bothered me is the notion is that it was likely a setup from the get go... the confrontation a notification to the boyfriend - I am a desirable women or maybe just god knows.

What I am sure of is I had no desire to end a lovely evening in fisticuffs, being called a bunch of nasty names or participating in a very uncivilized scene with neighbors and the police. Funny, I am not even sure his heart was in it because I only hit him once and he went down.

Yes like I said there are times when I thought God was having fun with me.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2017, 05:42 PM   #2

OMG, priceless. You Sir, made my evening. i was dying
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:04 AM   #3

Put that to music and you have a hit country song...
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:46 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good you can laugh at it. She was horrible. If I'd been your sister I'd have had a few things to say to Kristy.

I have had vindictive dumped girl friends try to make me unhappy with words, but never one that attacked me physically. When I was 20, a young woman accused me of taking her boy friend away from her, and I said, "I didn't take him away on purpose. I didn't even know you existed because he never mentioned you. Actually, I don't like him as much as he likes me - you can have him back." Really took the wind out of her sails.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I never understand why when someone is cheating that the other person goes after the 'new' guy/gal instead of the significant other who is doing the cheating...

IOW, if my DW was cheating, I would be mad at HER, not the guy... he might not even know she was married.... (now, if he kept it up I would be mad at him)...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Bad girlfriend ending stories
Old 06-13-2017, 10:33 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Bad girlfriend ending stories

When I went into the Air Force (Viet Nam era), I had a girlfriend at home that I had been going steady with for two years. She was a looker and a keeper, but duty had called (draft notice) so I had to leave.

After a few months of letters back and forth from her, I had "leave" so I hustled home and went to her house (she was living with her parents) to see her. I rang the doorbell and a young guy (about my age) opened the door and asked me who I was. I said I am Susie's boyfriend home on leave and here to see her. Well, he said HE was Susie's NEW boyfriend and I better hit the road before he blackens my eye.

So I did leave immediately. I never saw Susie again and never got another letter from her. Good thing, as I heard she married the guy and had a slew of kids.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:32 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I never understand why when someone is cheating that the other person goes after the 'new' guy/gal instead of the significant other who is doing the cheating...

IOW, if my DW was cheating, I would be mad at HER, not the guy... he might not even know she was married.... (now, if he kept it up I would be mad at him)...
I understand this. All her cheating meant is that she likes sex, and gets lonesome. In primitive times, you could kill the other guy and be back in business with your girlfriend, Not much point in killing her, then you have to go finds another woman, who if she likes sex will sooner or later present the same problem.

And if she doesn't like sex, why bother?

Ha
Old 06-13-2017, 04:55 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

Maybe its a Texas frame of mind, but I have always felt the same way. It never happened, but if my DW had cheated on me with some stranger, why would I be mad at him? He didn't cheat on me, she would have. Now if friend of mine hooked up with my wife, then it would be a different thing altogether. Someone, me or him, is about to get their butt kicked. Oh yeah, and she would have been deposited on her parent's doorstep!

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

In high school, my best buddy was talking to a mutual friend. Buddy asked the guy, "So john, who are you going with these days." John answered "Oh, you wouldn't know her." Buddy "Come on, John, who is she?" John "OH, so-and-so."

Buddy informed me that John claimed to be going with my steady (eventually to be my DW of near 50 years now.) I subtly asked her about it in due time and she admitted that she had gone out with him once and was NOT impressed. I never brought it up with John whom I always got along with. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
When I went into the Air Force (Viet Nam era), I had a girlfriend at home that I had been going steady with for two years. She was a looker and a keeper, but duty had called (draft notice) so I had to leave.

After a few months of letters back and forth from her, I had "leave" so I hustled home and went to her house (she was living with her parents) to see her. I rang the doorbell and a young guy (about my age) opened the door and asked me who I was. I said I am Susie's boyfriend home on leave and here to see her. Well, he said HE was Susie's NEW boyfriend and I better hit the road before he blackens my eye.

So I did leave immediately. I never saw Susie again and never got another letter from her. Good thing, as I heard she married the guy and had a slew of kids.
I once was the new boyfriend.

I met the young wife in my senior year of college. Things went really slowly for several months and I didn't know precisely what the problem was. One day, while I was complaining that I was getting nowhere with this girl, my friend Curtis suggested that she might have a boyfriend (he actually knew she did, but was too nice to tell me), so the next time I saw her, I asked. She admitted that, yes, she had a boyfriend. I said "in time, you'll come to like me better". Several months later, I was at her house when he showed up at the door, and she had to go out on the porch to tell him that she liked me better. I was prepared for the worst, but he just turned around and left. She and I have now been married for over 33 years.