Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-29-2023, 08:36 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
Well said, I cringe when I hear Happy Memorial Day. There is nothing happy about this day, it is to honor and remember those that gave their lives for our country.
Yep. The local Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery is a very somber place with hundreds of visitors on Memorial Day.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2023, 04:39 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

France
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0544B.jpg (810.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0558.jpg (782.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 05-30-2023, 07:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
For those of you who want to be respectful but maybe don't know much about the military, here is the guidance I tell people: Memorial Day is to honor those lost in battle/service or no longer with us. Veteran's day is to honor those who have served and are still around to thank in person. Armed Forces Day is to honor those who are currently serving. Most veterans (included me) do not liked to be thanked on Memorial Day. Not my day. Thanks for appreciating our armed forces.
I tuned out a commercial yesterday but I did catch at the very end about thanking a vet today and had just read your post a while before. That sure caught my ear. Did they ever get it wrong.
skyking1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 08:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
I tuned out a commercial yesterday but I did catch at the very end about thanking a vet today and had just read your post a while before. That sure caught my ear. Did they ever get it wrong.
Of course I would never admonish someone for thanking me for my service on Memorial Day. I typically just strike up a conversation and try to educate them. On Saturday evening we gathered at the Marine Corps Museum on Quantico to celebrate 32.5 years for my friend. After reaching the rank of Gunnery Sgt he commissioned and retired as a Lt Col. At the celebration BBQ on Sunday we spent many moments remembering our fallen brothers and sisters. We all agreed that if anything happened to us while serving, the others should strive to fully enjoy their lives going forward. We have all tried our best to honor that request.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 10:30 AM   #25

I don't know anybody who did not make it home. I think that is the case for most people who have not served.
I took the time yesterday to learn about some of the people that the day was about.
I think about the men that touched my veteran's lives.
skyking1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 12:34 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
France

DW and I were there the week before Memorial Day. We saw the taps ceremony. Very moving.