Join Early Retirement Today

Memorial Day Thanks
Old 05-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Memorial Day Thanks

Thanks to the many forum members who have served. Words cannot even begin to express my appreciation for what you've done.

Please know you have my deepest appreciation for your service.

Thank you.

Purron
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Excellent post thanks for starting it.

As we remember and honor those that gave their lives for our freedom on this Memorial Day weekend please take a minute to remember all we have is because of those that made the ultimate sacrifice that made it possible for us to live in the land of the free and the home of the brave.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
gone traveling

While I'm a Nam Vet and I'm thankful for your message, please remember that the day is not for us still "above ground", but for those who served and are not with us anymore.

It's for those that paid the untimate sacrifice while on active duty, and those who have passed on after their active service ended.

BTW, Veterans Day is on 11-11 (to signify the end of WWI, on the eleventh month, eleventh day, and the eleventh hour, when the armistice was announced.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #4

Memorial Day is not for the living but for those who gave "all of their tomorows for our todays". I earnestly hope that all the families that get together on Monday for hot dogs and hamburgers, give at least a minute of thought for what the day is all about.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Plenty of Memorial Day Events to Attend

Most metopolitan areas and many small towns host memorial day events. Get out an attend one of these activities.

Many times on Tuesday after Memorial Day I've been asked "What did you do over the weekend?" When I respond with "My wife and I attended a ceremony at the local National Cemetary" most people look at me with a blank stare.

I hope that will not be the case this year.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Old 05-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, Memorial Day is devoted to honoring the veterans who've already made the ultimate sacrifice.

But you can say "Thanks!" to the living, too... and it doesn't have to be just on Memorial Day, either.

What Are You Doing for Memorial Day? - Dollar Stretcher Guest Bloggers

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:16 AM   #8

I think it's also kind of nice, if you have a flagpole, to display the flag at half-staff tomorrow on Memorial Day.

There is a special rule for that day, which is different from other half-staff displays. At sunrise (or whenever you get up tomorrow morning), raise the flag to the top, then lower it slowly to half-staff. At noon, raise it back up to the top.

This differs from other days, when it remains at half-staff until sundown.

For flags that cannot be lowered, such as those mounted on homes, the American Legion says an acceptable alternative is to attach a black ribbon or streamer to the top of the flag pole, directly beneath the ornament at the end of the pole. The ribbon or streamer should be the same width as a stripe on the flag and the same length as the flag.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:55 AM   #9

Thank you for starting this thread.

I am in awe of those who have given so much. And grateful.....everyday.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #10

Great thread. First of all, thanks to all the veterans out there and a special reverence to all who gave their lives for our country. I also fly my flag on this weekend and all the other special days throughout the year. I'm surprised that in my area more flags are not flown. There are a lot of vets living here. Regardless of that, thanks again to you vets. Being in the Tampa area, home of MacDill Air Force Base and the Central Command, I get to see a lot of service people around town. I go up and thank them for their service.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
While I'm a Nam Vet and I'm thankful for your message, please remember that the day is not for us still "above ground", but for those who served and are not with us anymore.

It's for those that paid the untimate sacrifice while on active duty, and those who have passed on after their active service ended.

BTW, Veterans Day is on 11-11 (to signify the end of WWI, on the eleventh month, eleventh day, and the eleventh hour, when the armistice was announced.
I thought about your message when I saw a story on the news tonight about this website: Preserve and Honor

A young man was touched after visiting Arlington Cemetery and realizing how many died. He created this site to honor their memory.

Thank you for your service.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #12

Both grandpas served in WWII. I was lucky, though, they came back. Neither of them told any stories about it.

Grandpa H served under Patton. I know he was operating a radar truck (I assume the SCR-584 radar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) in Italy. He was servicing some broken equipment one day and his relief came up a few minutes early. As he was walking away from the truck it was struck by an 88, killing the guy that had just replaced him.

Grandpa Y fought his way across the pacific. I only know that he was bombed every night by the Japanese. And he told a story about how he once buried all of his grenades when he landed ashore because "a guy could get killed with those things"

DW's grandpa served aboard a destroyer during the Korean war. I knew he participated in coastal bombardments but the one story he's most likely to share is the one where he finally decked another sailor who wouldn't stop chipping paint off the deck next to a bunch of live powder.

Dad signed up with the air force the day he turned 18. He knew he was getting drafted by the army otherwise and he wanted to at least choose his branch (this was near the height of the Vietnam war and draft). He jokingly said that he knew if things got bad over there he'd rather be close to the guys flying out than the guys running out. Fortunately, he never was deployed but there was still a lot of sacrifice that goes into serving (he was gone two weeks of every month when I was a kid).
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

See post 7720 at the "What did you do today?" thread.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1075533

I flew my flag today. My Uncle George (Mom's brother) was a 30 year Navy veteran (WWII onward), my late husband served for 4 years in the Navy (Vietnam), and Mr B served 8 years in the USAF.

I never served in uniform, but I continue to serve those who did.

E pluribus unum.