Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2021, 09:19 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom2708 View Post
People expect a pill to fix everything. A pill rarely fixes anything.

The effects of a plant based diet are supported by studies for years.

I tend to doubt you will believe me.

I toss it out so people can do their own research.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I forgot to add to my list above more on the microbiome. It has been proven that dementia and related disorders are often linked to dysbiosis. There are many studies on this. Here is one: "Our findings highlight the role of gut microbiota dysbiosis‐promoted neuroinflammation and neurodegeneration in AD progression, and further suggest a novel strategy for AD therapy by targeting gut‐brain axis." https://alz-journals.onlinelibrary.w...002/alz.044151

There are also many studies on how to have a healthy gut microbiome and self tests you can order on Amazon for $100 - $200 that tell you the major types of bacteria in your gut and what you can do to improve your microbiome. The last doctor ordered medical test I had was $7K and told me nothing of value. I'm going to order a load of these kinds of inexpensive at home gut and metabolite tests on my own and tweak my diet until they come out as good as I can get them. That is my 2021 plan.

I started with the Food Marble breath analyzer and it is amazing. I am pretty convinced microbiome and related testing is going to be the future of modern medicine. It is wild how many diseases already have been linked to specific kinds of altered gut microbiomes.
Thanks for the detailed response. I will take a gander at some of the stuff you have posted! Unlike a lot of folks...I try to stay away from the echo chambers and am very open to learning new things. I like information, not affirmation.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Memory loss / dementia - progression and treatment
Old 01-23-2021, 06:03 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Memory loss / dementia - progression and treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Fortunately he is not in denial but nobody hassles him over not remembering so maybe he doesn't notice.

From my experience, nothing is gained by trying to correct the patient. They remember what they remember and they believe what they believe. Attempts to correct or challenge them on various matters of fact, as they see them, always end up bad. Keep the conversation light and deflect to other safe topics as necessary. If the conversation suddenly took a sharp right turn my parent never noticed it when it happened...
Old 01-23-2021, 10:04 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanu View Post
Dementia, Parkinson's, etc. Neurological diseases are expensive to treat mainly because the person can easily live for 8-12 years vs. other diseases.

We chose Type-A, nonprofit Continued Care Retirement Community (CCRC) with A financial rating by Fitch so we are at peace. A or higher rating and nonprofit status are important to the financial health of the CCRC. Type-A means that you do not need long term care insurance. If and when you need medical care like assisted living, nursing home, Demita care, or Hospice you will get that at no extra cost, as long as you need it. The cost is covered in your monthly cost. Type-B and Type-C will charge the medical cost either at a discounted rate or at the market rate. And as you know Medical cost increases every year. In NJ it was $125K/year as the median for semi-private room per person. Go to Genworth's website to see the median cost in your state today and in the future.

Medicare does not cover this cost. Medicaid has a lookback period of 5 years so one must have emptied the assets and does not have more than $2,000 in assets etc., rules so tough to get that assistance. And CCRC will not admit anyone who has neurological disease symptoms, so it is important to plan ahead.

I wrote an article about what is CCRC, why we decided to move to a CCRC, and why we chose Willow Valley Communities as our CCRC in Lancaster, PA.

US News did a survey of 15,000+ nursing homes and ~2,000 CCRCs in the nation and chose the top 400. They chose forty-five top CCRC. 18 out of the top 45 (40%) are in PA and Willow Valley is rated number 1.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...0-zvkYnU4/edit
Really appreciate this write up.
It will make interesting reading, and give us something to think about.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:54 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hope this isn't too controversial, but ketogenic diets have been shown to help. I bring this up now because a new study was just published, and it was an RCT (gold standard):
https://alzres.biomedcentral.com/tra...21-00783-x.pdf
twaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:29 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, several studies have shown that a Ketogenic diet is good for memory loss slowdown.
jayanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:34 AM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanu View Post
Yes, several studies have shown that a Ketogenic diet is good for memory loss slowdown.
This one also showed that compliance was good, and that surprised me a little bit. I could never sell my parents on the idea.
twaddle is offline   Reply With Quote